Hm, don't like the sound from FW 1.6 (Edit Fixed now)

• I would like to sincerely thank Armin for this thread and I believe it to be a blessing in disguise, without which I may have not figured out what was going on with my Kemper when I upgraded to 1.6

When I upgraded my firmware, my Kemper experienced a distinct change in its sounds and its feel. You could just feel it when you played, at least in my case I could. My amazing hi gain profiles were no more, they were shallow, weak, and didnt have the bite they once did. There was no doubt something just did not sound right on my favorite profiles. I also saw some goofy things happening in my volume controls and adding favorites wasn't happening anymore either. Needless to say things changed and not for the better. I realized that 1.6 was a beta and it probably had some issues that needed working out but it was still kind of depressing to hear my great tones gone.

Anyway I saw others were resetting their KPA's so I thought maybe that would help me as well. Even though I had well over 1600 profiles1.6 installed fine but the changes were undeniable. I deleted all but about 100 profiles and then reinstalled 1.6. Then I did a system reset and lo and behold like a phoenix my KPA rose from the ashes and was once again the magnificent sonic beast it always was! All of my tones were back and they even sounded better to my ears! My volume controls are now perfect! Storing of favorites also perfect! Everything is just perfect from what I can tell. The reset did the trick and I am so thankful I found out about it. It really saved the day for me and after many frustrating hours mourning the loss of my tones I can now rest happily knowing they are all there for me and I can once again jam with the best guitar amp profiler in existence! Now and forevermore!

• I just wonder if it's possible that it depends on the number of user rigs?
    My KPA has currently 1179 profiles and 138 local cab presets.

Firmware update was fine all the time without any error messages.

But there are NO Factory Presets in my KPA which should be there after the firmware update according to the notes - just noticed it while reading another thread about the new univibe - and I wanted to try some effects presets - only my own presets are available.

I did not use the "Factory Rig import function" since I use only my own profiles.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• If you don't import the Factory Rigs there should still be the new Presets. So when you are in the effects section for example and you turn the preset knob you should come across "In the Mix" EQ in the EQ section or the new presets for the Phaser Vibe (don't know the exact name). With the download you received some PDF-files - one of them lists all the presets (including old ones). Look at the list and look whether you can find them in the presets in your Kemper. But I am very sure that this doesn't have to do with the problem (I have about 500 rigs and still had "the problem").

• No presets here:
    If I press a,b,c,d,x or mod and turn the browse knob it shows "Browse Stomp Presets" - there are only my own 10 presets available.

If I activate "effects" it shows "Browse Effects Preset" but it's empty "0 of 0"

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

• No presets here:
    If I press a,b,c,d,x or mod and turn the browse knob it shows "Browse Stomp Presets" - there are only my own 10 presets available.

If I activate "effects" it shows "Browse Effects Preset" but it's empty "0 of 0"

Are you sure that you are on 1.6 beta then? ... so many down and upgrades might have you confused? ... Just kidding. In my case the presets were installed with "kaos" I think - but now, as I read this, I am no longer sure about that, because I installed rig pack 4 on my Kemper. But that should become clear when you read through the manual that came with 1.6.

• Just found the reference list pdf - there are no factory presets in my KPA - and I newer had any - also not the old ones.
    All I ever saw were my own presets - the only exception are when I press amp or cab and select 'from Rigs' then I see in both cases 1179 (one for each of my profiles).

I was not even aware that there should be factory local presets.

• ok, I pressed "Factory Rigs" in the system menu and it clearly shows (unlike in the other document) that this will import all factory rigs AND PRESETS.

Now I have 1524 rigs and a lot of presets.

If I press "effects" and browse it still says "0 of 0" - the same for "stomps" but all the other presets are here now.

So this may have nothing to do with the initial problem.

• I think these threads get so heated because we have so much passion and love for the KPA. Let's all take a breathe and remember that we all have the same goal and are on the same team.

Being passionate for a cause does not mean to throw all your wits over board. Especially not in an internet forum. I once had also started some threads about tiny sonic detailes but these went totally different than this here. IMHO the reason for this is:

• CK or the closer circle did answer quite immediately, questioning my posting in an open outcome and just all in a very friendly and calm way. To leave such threads too long without response and/or mediation transports a message of neglect.

• There were no posts with overheated turf-wars and no destructive joke avalanches from other users. Nobody was shouting into the tunnel back then, only serious contributions AFAIR.

• I did post some sound files with reamped A/B comparisons very early on.

I am not really shure that I would start these threads again today, after I saw this here.

Came back yesterday from my little tour and the first thing I did coming with cold fingers into my cold room was loading and playing FW1.6. It rings out just as gorgeous as 1.5.4. So I did not bother to do a reset.

But here also it did not load the factory presets autcomatically.

PS: Thanks Armin, I will try that Factory Rigs button ... I am R E A L L Y curious about those rigs for acoustic nylon string guitar!!!

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

Edited 3 times, last by fretboardminer ().

• I played the KPA again and WTF it sounds poor - then I realized it was not my patch but a factory one - I was not used to this anymore :D

So still all fine with my KPA and 1.6 - and I have no more ideas what could be the root of the evil.

• Not that anyone cares, but I'm going to offer my thoughts on how this thread was handled by Kemper owners and CK. First, as I've stated before, I'm probably one of the least technical Kemper owners on this forum. When this thread started and users started popping up with the sound/feel change when downloading FW 1.60, I waited for CK to post that his team was working on the problem or have found and fixed it. When CK posted that his team had not been able to find any difference, it left me a bit confused. By this time there were more people popping up with the sound/feel issue. I had not personally upgraded to 1.60, so I no experience either way. But at that time, what struck me most was a sense of dissapointment and fear that maybe I had gotten in over my head by buying the Kemper. I had not expected CK to pretty much dismiss the problem to "Imagination". It was my gut feeling that there was indeed a problem with some Kemper owners and I thought that was going to be the end of it. In other words, there is no problem and if you think there is, live with it. What a relief it was when the "Reset" popped up as a solution and it indeed solved the problem with sound/feel with 1.60. What I find puzzeling about this is the reset idea came from a Kemper owner and not CK. I thought this would have been a perfect time for CK to appologize to those he had doubted in previous post. I know CK didn't take this lightly. I know CK and his team worked very hard to find a problem, or prove there was no problem. Maybe it's a language issue and we miss or take things wrong. One thing this proves to me is never assume. It can come back to bite you in the ass.

At any rate, I'm back to feeling good about being a Kemper owner.

• I think the lesson to be learned here is that there are a lot of experienced and highly gifted musicians on this forum, and if there are many of them saying that something's wrong, then it is HIGHLY likely that something is wrong. There are so many variables in a complex product like the KPA that it's probably the norm that some will experience a problem and others won't. I didn't experience the symptoms personally, so I was skeptical that a problem really existed. Next time I'll know better ...

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer