Tell me about the spdif recording

• I am using an Apogee One for recording. Is there a good reason I should be using the spdif instead? I am going form the master output>XLR>ONE>LOGIC
    Seems to sound decent. So, why spdif?

• I am using an Apogee One for recording. Is there a good reason I should be using the spdif instead? I am going form the master output>XLR>ONE>LOGIC
    Seems to sound decent. So, why spdif?

This has been asked many times already. Each A/D and D/A conversion will add 1-2 ms of latency. Since the SPDIF signals son´t need any conversion, those signals will be a little more direct (though i doubt you will feel the difference).

Concerning signal quality the SPDIF is highly recommended if you do reamping. Normally you will lose a good amount of signal quality here. The SPDIF makes reamping very comfortable.

• your not going into the instrument input in the one?? hmmm, ill have to try that. Any reason for doing it?

It's into the instrument. My breakout cable has XLR and 1/4 inch going into the One. I have used both for guitar and I can't seem to find any sound difference? Maybe I should re-check.

• Im going from my monitor out (set to master mono) into the 1/4inch and into logic. Works fine. Im thinking about the spdif option but apogee dont do an interface with it outside of the Symphony i think. I wish the duet had one, or an add on or something. That would be a no brainer purchase then as I feel very comfortable with the Apogee products.

• Im rigging mine up to my Pro Tools HD system. would i be best to connect Spdif or master out.

If i go spdif i bypass the converters in the Digi 192, meaning it only gets converted from analog to digital once???

if i go master out in to Digi 192 analog in its being converted from analog to digital to analog to digital????

Am i right with the above, so to me Spdif is the best route to go :S

• You are right, but might still run into problems because KPA only supports 44.1kHz S/PDIF and your ProTools HD system and Digidesign 192 might be running a different sample frequency. I don't have this device, so I don't know if it has internal, automatic sample rate converter for the coax. S/PDIF port. I use the Focusrite Saffire Pro 26 i/o and it sadly doesn't have this internal conversion.

Cheers,
    Martin

• You are right, but might still run into problems because KPA only supports 44.1kHz S/PDIF and your ProTools HD system and Digidesign 192 might be running a different sample frequency. I don't have this device, so I don't know if it has internal, automatic sample rate converter for the coax. S/PDIF port. I use the Focusrite Saffire Pro 26 i/o and it sadly doesn't have this internal conversion.

Cheers,
    Martin

Cheers Martin

my digi 192 supports up to 24bit 96Khz via Spdif. I record all my sessions at 44.1 anyway so this should be fine for me :thumbup: