The great 1.6 debate. A simple poll.

• What did you think of the KPA sound quality following the 1.6.0 update? 118

1. I don't notice any change - the rest of you are on drugs :) (52) 44%
    2. 1.6.0 is better... (39) 33%
    3. Before 1.6.0 was better (27) 23%

Dear All... you might have noticed a little discussion on a change in sound quality following the 1.6.0 update. Several posters have mentioned that opinion is divided so lets us see where the numbers lie...

Poll closes Sunday night, 1 vote each. Just a bit of fun while we wait to hear the official word - no need to gather with burning torches and sharpened pitch forks. I'm sure it will all come out in the wash...

I've kept it to three simple choices - although of course there are other possible answers, some involving panic, the arrival of asteroids, and probably something involving donbarzini. 3 simple choices then.
    (BTW, When I say sound quality I'm not referring to improvement made by the lack of aliasing)
    Poll away. 8)

Suhr Classic Pro, Fender deluxe Strat & Baja Tele, Gibson ES335, Ibanez S Prestige 2170FW, Eastman AR371CE, Variax JTV > KPA > Patch bay inc. Strymons (Mobius, Timeline, Blue Sky), H9 Max, TC Triple Delay, & POD HD500 > Adam A7Xs

• I voted no change...but that's not entirely true. I felt 1 of my favorites sounded brighter (for the worse) after the update, but the rest as great as they ever did...and I am more than happy to accept that it might have been all in my head.

• The poll results don't matter. People will believe what they want. Look at all the conspiracy theorists out there regarding things much, much more complex and less subjective than a potentially slight change in tonal response of the Kemper. What's most interesting is by the length and intensity of that thread it would be easy to presume that this was a huge issue, but now it doesn't appear so. Now maybe there was some bandwagoning there and subsequent bandwagoning in the other direction after CK's response, but rather interesting none the less.

Case closed in my book, let's move on to NAMM and beyond...

• The poll is what it is... people's opinions about what they are hearing. Personally I thought my ears or monitoring system weren't up to much as I didn't notice any change when I upgraded. I noticed a difference in the clips posted and it made me curious like everyone who read the thread. Some people have even offered money for a version of 1.54 with the added features of 1.6 minus the anti-aliasing change. We even have colourful Ozone graphs now... I did a deep pixel scan of one of those graphs and got this... interesting...

[Blocked Image: http://www.virginmedia.com/images/1x-files-gal-jfk.jpg]

Disclaimer:
    Brattcave is a recently released psychiatric patient who should be let nowhere near a computer and a community of confused arguing men. He means no harm...

Suhr Classic Pro, Fender deluxe Strat & Baja Tele, Gibson ES335, Ibanez S Prestige 2170FW, Eastman AR371CE, Variax JTV > KPA > Patch bay inc. Strymons (Mobius, Timeline, Blue Sky), H9 Max, TC Triple Delay, & POD HD500 > Adam A7Xs

• The poll is what it is... people's opinions about what they are hearing. Personally I thought my ears or monitoring system weren't up to much as I didn't notice any change when I upgraded. I noticed a difference in the clips posted and it made me curious like everyone who read the thread. Some people have even offered money for a version of 1.54 with the added features of 1.6 minus the anti-aliasing change. We even have colourful Ozone graphs now... I did a deep pixel scan of one of those graphs and got this... interesting...

[Blocked Image: http://www.virginmedia.com/images/1x-files-gal-jfk.jpg]

Disclaimer:
    Brattcave is a recently released psychiatric patient who should be let nowhere near a computer and a community of confused arguing men. He means no harm...

The seed has been planted. There will be a handful of people who will still be trying to prove a difference months from now. I'm done with it personally. I upgraded to 1.6 and the Kemper still sounds darn fine to me. I'd much rather spend my time with the Kemper with a guitar plugged int it. :thumbup:

• 76 true men giving their opinions so far. Be good if we could make it to 100 before Sunday. I always feel that in a totally subjective and unscientific poll, 100 is a solid sample...
    'Interesting' that 59% of respondents are reporting a change in the sound either way. (Remember - aliasing improvement not included). The majority are claiming a change in sound. So the sane are in the minority - like life really... ;) . Keep polling - remember, just for fun - no pitchforks or gathered circles of robed men please.

[ I'm not hearing anything different. I tried listening with the unit on and off. Still nothing. The cardboard box it came in sounds a bit different then before. But that's because I sleep with it on my head most nights. I'm pretty sure it's starting to taste different as well now... enough with the sharing. ]

• One thought: At first sight it seems as if the people who don't hear a difference btw. 1.5.4 and 1.6 are in the majority (32) and the ones who think that 1.6 is worse (19) are a minority. However, the official statement ist that there is no change at all and therefore the ones who think that 1.6 sounds better also think they hear a difference (27). You do the maths: 32 don't hear a difference. 46 hear a difference (for better or worse). ...

• One thought: At first sight it seems as if the people who don't hear a difference btw. 1.5.4 and 1.6 are in the majority (32) and the ones who think that 1.6 is worse (19) are a minority. However, the official statement ist that there is no change at all and therefore the ones who think that 1.6 sounds better also think they hear a difference (27). You do the maths: 32 don't hear a difference. 46 hear a difference (for better or worse). ...

Yes, I mentioned this on the other thread. The number of people that say they can hear a difference is significant compared to the ones that don't.

• If my further testing will result in that there is no difference, then this is the biggest brain-fu*k I have ever experienced. :) Funny thing is, I'm usually good in picking up nuances in the sound quality. I have reported several sound-related bugs in the beta firmware, that since then got corrected, I was the first one who noticed less aliasing in the 1.6 beta ...etc. I'll won't be shy to accept I was wrong, but this is still very strange.

• 'Interesting' that 59% of respondents are reporting a change in the sound either way. (Remember - aliasing improvement not included). The majority are claiming a change in sound.

One thought: At first sight it seems as if the people who don't hear a difference btw. 1.5.4 and 1.6 are in the majority (32) and the ones who think that 1.6 is worse (19) are a minority. However, the official statement ist that there is no change at all and therefore the ones who think that 1.6 sounds better also think they hear a difference (27). You do the maths: 32 don't hear a difference. 46 hear a difference (for better or worse).

That was the point... the majority are hearing a difference. CK said there should be no difference better or worse.
    Daniel - your ears must be ringing by now! Thanks for your efforts on this but seriously man, take a break! Before you really do melt your brain :)

I'm not hearing a change, others are and that's cool - lets discuss it, do tests, ruin our ears etc. I'm not so sure about people that are writing open letters to CK and calling him unprofessional. If that carries on why would he post here... Kemper must be in full on NAMM mode at present - I'm sure more will be done when that's over with. Lots of new products on the way by the sounds of things... busy times. Certainly not been dull around here this week 8)

• Regardless of the perception of change, the fans of pre 1.6 are in the significant minority. As such, CK did exactly what was asked of him, reduce the aliasing and now we must live with the changes...love or hate.

• Regardless of the perception of change, the fans of pre 1.6 are in the significant minority. As such, CK did exactly what was asked of him, reduce the aliasing and now we must live with the changes...love or hate.

The point is that there should not be fans of one or the other if the aliasing is out of the equation.