no frequency content above 11kHz?

• so it seems like for example if you want to model the edge tone with KPA - amps no problem. But you may need to connect a strymon or some such delay pedal to your rig

nope, this exsample just isn't correct. the delays are quite powerful and The Edge-type delays are easily possible. In fact there are factory rigs with those settings.

You are approaching the point of over-analysing without ever having played the gear in question. ;)

• Isn't the Matchbox Sproing a spring reverb?

Is it? Doesn't sound much like one to me, but I haven't messed with it too much. I'd like a nice plate emulation personally.

so it seems like for example if you want to model the edge tone with KPA - amps no problem. But you may need to connect a strymon or some such delay pedal to your rig

If you mean Joshua Tree era Edge, that tone is indeed possible as you get a dual tap delay which allows you to do the syncopated thing and there are many AC30 profiles out there. There's even a factory preset which will come close enough for pretty much anyone but the most discerning individuals.

As mentioned, the lack of effects thing is really only an issue for those with very specific needs (pitch, pattern, synth, etc). All the garden variety stuff is covered and sounds very, very good IMHO.

Really it boils down to this: are you the type of player concerned with emulating a dual amp rig mixed in parallel with different effects in each chain and most interested creating experimental avant guarde tones? If so, the Kemper will not be a great fit. If you're looking more traditional stuff (though there's a handful of very unique effects in the Kemper too), it will most likely work out great.

• This post should be wiki'ed. Armin is an authority on all things KPA (including very very small nuances of the almost unhearable by anyone except dogs presence end of the spectrum) so I would trust him. And if you do get a KPA, be sure to check out some of his profiles.

• I must confess this thing about not enough FX has always confused me.

I watch dozens of pro guitarists doing all sorts of gigs, from covers to Tributes to whatever.
    I can't think of one who couldn't easily do a gig with just the KPA effects on his real pedalboard..
    And, I hardly ever see a whammy or harmoniser on most pedalboards, on some yes, but very much the minority.

In fact if you make a real pedalboard using all the Kemper FX, it would be an enormous pedalboard, I'm not even sure how you'd carry it. :)
    I don't recall any of the guitarists I watch needing two delays, even the guys that do U2 and Pink Floyd covers.
    Always one delay, always after distortion not before.

So why do we need so many FX that we more than likely won't use or need?
    Because other modellers offer so many additional FX doesn't mean we need them, it just means they're there.

• I will be honest, I personally don't care about all debate and fight about A vs. B, etc...
    I'm a musician, I love gear, I have no shares on any company, so I'm using what I like the most.

We have a Kemper at the studio and it's a nice piece of gear... no doubt. So good that I'm on my way to buy a Rack version for myself.

I was thinking to also buy an Axe-FX II in addition (because there's apparently more FX choices and it looks like a nice device), but the more I'm looking into this product, the more I'm surprised about the company, its CEO and his acting on the official forum (full of angry and aggressive haters). It's actually the complete opposite of here where we can discuss peacefully even if we don't share the same point of view and interest.

I saw this Cliff guy calling Tony McKenzie an "Chucklehead" or an "ass"... I don't think it's a good way to treat any customers who paid for your product, regardless how right or wrong they are in their statement. It's definitely not professional to act like that... The same way it's very not professional to call another company CEO a liar (even if it would happen to be true).

I'm quite sure Christoph Kemper is probably thinking the same about other people but at least he has been professional enough to keep it for himself and not write it on the official forum. Having met him and spoke with him during a MusikMesse I can even say he's a very nice person to talk to. Consideration to your customers and potential customers is important today.

That's probably the reason why I'm gonna stick with the Kemper Rack only and will not buy any Fractal Audio product, regardless how better it could technically be. From my ears and other professional sound engineers, the Kemper is sounding very good and that's enough for me... regardless if it's 11kHz, 22kHz or even 700 kHz.

Play with it, listen with your ears... the product and not the bunch of marketing B.S. we can read on other company forum.

My 2 cents
    Phil

• This post should be wiki'ed. Armin is an authority on all things KPA (including very very small nuances of the almost unhearable by anyone except dogs presence end of the spectrum) so I would trust him. And if you do get a KPA, be sure to check out some of his profiles.

Appreciate your thoughts. Wouldn't you say that this post would sound basically "promotional" and would not add technical contents to the wiKPA tho? Furthermore, I'd have some perplexity in explicitly talking so much about a different product... The wiKPA is not originally meant to support "differential descriptions" with respect to other devices...
    What do you think?

• brusky

Are you really considering buying a Kemper?

Yes. The closest sounding to real amp is a priority. I suppose to summarize this thread if you could combine the amps of KPA plus effects and possibilities of Axe-FX that would be the ultimate rack. But the arrongant owner and fanboi at the other forum is tipping the scales for me toward Kemper.

• Appreciate your thoughts. Wouldn't you say that this post would sound basically "promotional" and would not add technical contents to the wiKPA tho? Furthermore, I'd have some perplexity in explicitly talking so much about a different product... The wiKPA is not originally meant to support "differential descriptions" with respect to other devices...
    What do you think?

My post was in jest as this seems to be such a basic question and Armin's reply was very comprehensive so I thought it would be easier just to put it in the wiki :).

• EQ Match
    -------------
    The AxeFx has a great feature to match the tone of a recorded guitar track.
    KPA can't do it

Sure it can, but it's a different method.
    With the kemper you can put any eq matching plugin in the signal chain and create tone matched profiles from recorded tracks.
    It's not exactly the same but the kemper does have eq matching built in + profiling, otherwise it could never capture this to profiles.
    Guide how to make Kemper profiles with eq tone matching.
    http://www.kemper-amps.com/for…es-done-with-EQ-matching/?
    Som great results with matched tracks already uploaded by users.

Dream Theater kemper profiling + eq tone matching A/B comparison, by Ivan91.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Ozzy, Randy Rhoads Crazy Train kemper profiling + ozone tone match, by okstrat.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Anybody who doesn't buy a piece of gear that they may love & that would fit their needs, simply because of something the owner of the company says or does, is a complete jackass!!

The Gibson or Fender/Charvel company owner could go on a mass shooting spree killing hundreds of people & it wouldn't stop me from buying a Les Paul or a Strat!!!

• It's not called being a jackass, it's called being a smart and responsible buyer that puts his money in companies that are really worth it. You might not understand it (surely if your a fanboy or even an employee from this company), but for some of us, it means something.

Fractal Audio isn't the only company in the world, and there's dozen of others options. Since I'm happy with a Kemper, and all other gear I own such Eleven Rack, G-System, 1101, and even some old racks... I don't feel any urge or even any real need to waste any money in a company that has no respect for others, including its own customers.

I'm not falling for any hype, and certainly not after everything I read about it now.
    I lived without it until now so I will still live without it later.

Now, for some reasons you might still not understand it, and then you can continue to call out other people jackass... after all it's a very Fractal's forum member reaction anyway.

• Anybody who doesn't buy a piece of gear that they may love & that would fit their needs, simply because of something the owner of the company says or does, is a complete jackass!!

This was not nice. The proper term is Chucklehead, please.

• If I needed a screwdriver, I would pick the one that fit the job the best for me.

If I absolutely needed a Phillips head screwdriver to complete a project, I wouldn't care how many Hex drivers came as a free bonus with a Standard screwdrivers.

If I absolutely needed a Phillips head screwdriver to complete a project, it wouldn't matter to me who "Phillips" is/was, or how he conducted his life, as long as his product suited my needs better than something else.

I suggest thinking in those terms. Pick the right tool for your individual needs, and you will be happier with the purchase in the long run.

A Stratocaster into an old Deluxe Reverb is a wonderful thing.

A Les Paul into a Marshall plexi is a different wonderful thing.

One set of equipment may suit a person's need better than another. The differences don't make one better than the other in general, but can make one useless for someone, and the other useless for someone else.

• Luckily, I do not absolutely need an Axe-FX.

OTOH, I believe that people living on selling (their skills, their products and so on) clearly understand the language of money. So I consider keeping them far from my money to be a correct means of relationship.

If you don't share Shell's foreign politics, I say it's correct not to buy their oil. And, justifying oneself by saying "but I absolutely need V-Power [who cares of civil wars, corruption, crimes and the like]" it's hardly on my line.
    Of course this example is by far out of scale, but I guess you got my point: giving our money always makes us accessories. I never forget this.

Peace,

• My post was in jest as this seems to be such a basic question and Armin's reply was very comprehensive so I thought it would be easier just to put it in the wiki :).

... I see! :) nevertheless, I still feel there's too much of an Axe-Fx for a KPA wiki :D

• The Gibson or Fender/Charvel company owner could go on a mass shooting spree killing hundreds of people & it wouldn't stop me from buying a Les Paul or a Strat!!!

I understand the sentiment. I just think it's a different kind of deal. Gibson and Fender/Jackson-Charvelle don't have the people who designed and had a hand in the products that actually sell and prop up those companies in major management with the exception of the Jackson custom shop.

• Agreed - we all make these kind of choices.

Peace!