Marshall mod #36

• Hi guys!
    great day today!..I've just remind that today it's exactly one Year since I Bought my KPA!
    wow times run!!

So I'd like to share with You this profile (Nightrain on the profile excange)
    it's a marshall jmp'77 100watt modded in some way (don't aks me HOW..I really don't know) that a friend of mine let me profile.

The aim was to reach the tone of the amp used by Slash during the recordig session for the beloved Appetite for Destruction Album..
    ..I thing he didn't fall so far.

Here's a shot demo clip, just to have an idea of how it sounds if compared with the record
    (on left my track..on right the CD original)

I thing it's quite the same..it just need to be tweaked a bit, but it's a good starting point..Feel free to experiment at your taste.
    and let me know if you find better soulutions...

Cheers guys!
    Rnf'R |m/_

• Thanks guys! I'm glad You like it!
    FYI
    it has been profiled/recorded with one of these
    basically an R9 w/SD APH2...V.O.S. version.

Settings for Input were
    Clean sense 2
    Dist 0

No EQ post recording.

I repeat.. in my opinion the clip sounds close to the record but it's not 'THE SAME' yet..so feel free to tweak a bit and let me know if you find better settings.
    the amp sound Great for this, and I can say that the profile is good enough
    I didn't have a lot of time to match exactly that sound (eq effects and so on) so do not exitate to use your hears to go closer. :thumbup:

• Hi Guys!

That Head will be in my hands again before the end of this month for a couple of weeks.

So If anyone would like to have more profile, I can do.
    I will have more time to profile n refine so if anyone have some suggestied settings to share, let me know.

Cheers

• Suggested settings may be tricky for others to suggest - the mod gave it an extra knob :) So, I suppose the mod either gave it another gain stage, or is a "master volume" for the preamp, so it can be turned up for preamp gain, but the level of the distorted signal can be reduced, so the input of the power amp is not over driven.

I was going to suggest the sweet spot my old JMP had ( Channel on 4, Master on 6 ), but I noticed it is already set to that in the picture :)

Channel on 4 and Master on 10 was always too loud for gigs, but sounded really good. Try that!

• Hi Paul!
    Sorry for the late answer.
    the head was profiled times ago with these settings:
    P5 B5 M5 T5 MV4 G7 G7

so Master at 4 an gain (1 and 2) at 7...anything else at 5

I asked this 'cause it's true that settings good for me couldn't be good for someone else.. that's Why I asked If Someone Would like to have different settings.
    maybe someone likes the old profile but would like to have it profiled with less gain..
    you know, turning down the KPA gain Knob.. it's Not the same so..

anyway the head was a JMP 2203 built in 1977 Mk2 Master Model 100 Watt Lead
    the mod gives an extra gain stage adding a preamp valve and its relative pot.
    now it's a one channel amp (missing one input) and both gain knobs Must be 'open' ( not setted to 0) or it donesn't sound at all.

• disregard my last comment. This profile wasn't the one I was thinking of. Awesome profile. I'm getting a slightly microphonic effect or glassy feel. It's that the way the amp sounds? I only get it when playing the higher pitch strings.

Edited once, last by jeddie ().

• Hi jeddie.

I used a 'AFD LP' so w/seymour duncan APH2 .. a bit higher output than seymour duncan APH-1
    ... anyway htey are Alnico 2 Pickup with meduim/not so high output.

As I wrote before the Input setting on KPA were
    Clean sense 2
    Dist 0

First try to adjust these settings with Your giutar.

with the 'nightrain' profile already uploaded on the rig exchange I've recorded this..for direct comparison.

https://soundcloud.com/sollazzon/mixdownnightrain

My track on Left ...His track obviously on right..it's the original right channel
    No original track on left.

I've left my track a bit Louder to let you hear how it sounds.
    if you can, try to pan the mixdown track a bit to right, you can hear basically the same thing....more or less.
    on Solo You can add some mids to my track to match it exactly.

also consider that THAT 'nightrain' profile fits OK if you Play among/over Nightrain..it's cutted and shaped to fit in that song.
    If You play Alone You May not Like it...try adding the bass i've cutted first of all.

• ops sorry, I've already answered ..

I'm getting a slightly microphonic effect or glassy feel. It's that the way the amp sounds?

Yes.. glassy.. Humm..
    in general sometimes it feels like I'm playing with the wha wha semi-open... i don't know how to explain.

In My opinon the Real amp sound more 'natural' than the nightrain profile.. it seems that has been Metallized.. just a Bit, but it's not Exactly the same to my hears and under my fingers.

• Ok sweet I listened to your whole recording. It's pretty close. In fact I would say the chords seem spot on. It seems like I start to notice the variation with the single notes or solos. It actually sounds really close to the afd100 imo. Anyways, great job. Thank you for the profile. :thumbup:

It actually sounds really close to the afd100 imo

AHhah ...well... it's the AFD100 that sounds close to this :D

I have the AFD100 and yes, basically they sound the same.. maybe the Afd it's a bit darker and thin...but not great differences here.

It would be interesting to eq match this and see how close it gets. Probably unfruitful, but interesting.

Yes Sure! feel free to do what you want...
    I didn't use any ''eq matching'' software or else, just my ears, but if someone will use Ozone to catch the exact frequencies i'll appreciate.
    if I don't go wrong in the original Tone/track there is a huge cut around 1Khz.

As I said before

No EQ post recording.

I repeat.. in my opinion the clip sounds close to the record but it's not 'THE SAME' yet..so feel free to tweak a bit and let me know if you find better settings.
    the amp sound Great for this, and I can say that the profile is good enough
    I didn't have a lot of time to match exactly that sound (eq effects and so on) so do not exitate to use your hears to go closer

Than Share Your Results!

• Yes, I've removed it, I wasn't completely satisfied of it even if the take/clip is not bad.
    I guess in september the owner of the head ( a huge friend of mine) will leave it here at studio to get more profile.
    (we're going to try also different peramp valves on it)
    that will be after Summer Holidays...not sure about the days.
    we'll see
    Thanks for your interest anyway...are you a Slasher (fan) or just looking for some Modded Marshall?

• meanwhile, Is there Anybody here Using the old 'nightrain' profile tweaked in some way?
    (come on Slashers..I know You're a lot. don't be shy)

did you find particolar Settings (of the amp section or about cab, Eq, reverb's preferrence..) you'd like to share?
    I mean .. ''I also use a LP W/SD , I found X cab sounds preatty Close to Y song..
    and I also find Z reverb works better Here or there.''

Feel free to comment, suggest.. discuss.. reload it tweaked in Your Way and We could talk about it.
    Did You find a Reverb like Sweet Child o' mine Intro?
    if I don't go wrong I read it was a RSV2000. Is there something close to this in KPA?

Honestly I do not spend a lot of time on this.