RCF NX12 reliability

• So I've been looking for a live solution for the KPA and have decided to go the FRFR route, and I specifically decided to give the RCF NX12 a go after reading so many positive reviews. Unfortunlately, I just had an NX12 show up with the wolfer dead on arrival....the distributor is going to send another one asap so its only costing me time at this point (although I was SO ready to try this out this weekend....sigh....) but it made me a little concerned about the unit's reliability. The distributor checked it out at the shop before he sent it (where he says it worked fine), and it showed up with only the tweeter working so all I can surmise is that it didn't withstand the man-handling by FedEx. Makes me concerned about how it will stand up to a frequent gig schedule.

Any reports from users? Others with issues? Hoping this was just a fluke.

• Hey shred. I don't have experience with the rcf but I have seen blade type speaker connections come off during shipping so hopefully it was a fluke. :D

• The RCF are a professional product. Reliability stands off. I'd suggest you to read all the related threads on the Fractal and TGP forums, I've been keeping an eye on them since long.

(...But now the Matrix and the Atomic news have all my attention)

• Just an update...I did get the replacement rcf and have been very pleased with it so far. It sure feels rugged enough for the road, but time will tell.

Sound wise,it is really great. I had a qsc k12 prior to this, and not to slam the k12 too hard, but the feel just wasn't right at all for me. The sound was fine....pretty fat sounding mids, which I like live. The kemper has been such a joy to use in the studio, but that joy just wasn't translating to the live setting for me on account of the 'feel' and responsiveness of the k12. I'm 3 rehersals in with the rcf and the difference has been enormous. I'm now really enjoying the kemper as a potential live solution. Gigs right around the corner, so I'll put it to the test!

• Sound wise,it is really great.
    I'm 3 rehersals in with the rcf and the difference has been enormous. I'm now really enjoying the kemper as a potential live solution.

Glad you've found your way! Let us know your feeling and what you'll be discovering from an on-stage POW :thumbup:

• reznor -

I would agree that it is very rig dependent...FWIW, I'm an engineer more these days than a guitar player. As a player I do more clean, classic breakup, vintage tones (Rolling Stones, Tom Petty, Springsteen, blues, jazz) than anything high gain, although I do record some guys doing high gain stuff. I like the big bottom of the NX12 in my personal tones as it is bring out some of the fullness and warmth of the clean/slightly broken up amp tones. The "amp in the room" sound always has a big blooming bottom end when they are on the floor anyway. Regardless, it is profile specific and if I was chugging away on high gain...I'd probably back off the lows a bit. For now, leaving the output flat.

It is invaluable to have another speaker to A/B with like you do (the NX10). You know which one has a more comfortable sound for you, so its easier to hear what you don't like in the other. WIthout a reference, I find my ears adjust to the 'macro' reality at hand (otherwise, there'd be no way to get through the all too often gig with terrible sound on the stage!) rather quickly and I only adjust individual profiles at that point.

Either way, its probably to early to make any sweeping remarks about the setup...I'm still feeling it out. First time doing the FRFR thing and I was pretty skeptical, but its going fine so far!

:)

• Thanks for the info shred11 :thumbup:

I'm more into vintage tones too (big fan of David Grissom's tone)

To me, the NX10 is more "guitarfocussed" or whatever you want to name it.

It takes less tweaking to get the right tone.

When you're going for heavier tones (drop D, 7string, etc) the NX12 is the right thing.

Perhaps this makes the decision easier for potential buyers,

cheers,

reznor

• I JUST HAD THE LOCAL REP LET ME TRY THE NEW MACKIE DLM 12 , AT HOME TODAY. I ONLY GOT TO TRY IT FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS , AND UNFORTUNATLY COUDN'T TRY IT AT WITH MY BAND, BUT I MUST SAY I WAS PRETTY IMPRESSED. I ONLY HAD MY CURRENT STAGE SETUP ( PV CLASSIC 50/50 TUBE POWERAMP AND A PV 2/12 CAB W/85W CELESTIONS) TO COMPARE IT TO, BUT IT SEEMED TO HOLD UP QUITE WELL AND VERY LOUD. IT'S A COAX 12/ 1000W POWERED CAB THAT CAN BE TILTED BACK LIKE A MONITOR. I WAS ABLE TO RUN IT FLAT AND ONLY ROLLED BACK THE MONITOR OUT BASS A LITTLE BIT. IT DIDN'T HAVE ANY OF THE BEAMING OF A REG FRFR CAB AND THE CAB DIDN'T HAVE THAT HARD CLUNKY LOWEND I'VE EXPERIENCED WITH SOME PA CABS. :thumbup: I HOPE SOMEONE ELSE GETS A CHANCE TO TRY THEM AND CAN REPORT HOW THEY FEEEL ABOUT IT.
    I'M HOPIN TO GET THEM NEXT WEEKEND TO TRY WITH MY BAND AND WILL REPORT BACK. :D
    STILL WANT TO TRY THE ATOMIC CLR , BUT NO HOW I'LL FIND ONE.

• Here's an interesting set of youtube videos discussing the difference
    between tube and solid state power amps when used for Modeling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhA7sR6OpcM

Granted it's from a tube amp manufacturer's point of view,
    (Freyette/VHT) but nonetheless very informative series.

It covers differences in behavior between solid state and tube power amplifiers,
    & how they interact with speaker cabinets.

"Every Coin Has 3 Sides" - Rae

• I JUST HAD THE LOCAL REP LET ME TRY THE NEW MACKIE DLM 12 , AT HOME TODAY. I ONLY GOT TO TRY IT FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS , AND UNFORTUNATLY COUDN'T TRY IT AT WITH MY BAND, BUT I MUST SAY I WAS PRETTY IMPRESSED. I ONLY HAD MY CURRENT STAGE SETUP ( PV CLASSIC 50/50 TUBE POWERAMP AND A PV 2/12 CAB W/85W CELESTIONS) TO COMPARE IT TO, BUT IT SEEMED TO HOLD UP QUITE WELL AND VERY LOUD. IT'S A COAX 12/ 1000W POWERED CAB THAT CAN BE TILTED BACK LIKE A MONITOR. I WAS ABLE TO RUN IT FLAT AND ONLY ROLLED BACK THE MONITOR OUT BASS A LITTLE BIT. IT DIDN'T HAVE ANY OF THE BEAMING OF A REG FRFR CAB AND THE CAB DIDN'T HAVE THAT HARD CLUNKY LOWEND I'VE EXPERIENCED WITH SOME PA CABS. :thumbup: I HOPE SOMEONE ELSE GETS A CHANCE TO TRY THEM AND CAN REPORT HOW THEY FEEEL ABOUT IT.
    I'M HOPIN TO GET THEM NEXT WEEKEND TO TRY WITH MY BAND AND WILL REPORT BACK. :D
    STILL WANT TO TRY THE ATOMIC CLR , BUT NO HOW I'LL FIND ONE.

Any more feedback on the DLM12? Just got my Kemper :D . Trying to decide to go the FRFR route or get an amp for my Avatar 2x12 cab.

• I know this is an old thread, but I just have to say....I've put this FRFR solution through its paces for a while now and continue to be very pleased. Pretty sure its the best live tone I've ever had and I've enjoyed some monster rigs over the years. I'm still on the waiting list for an Atomic CLR because I just can't stop my curiosity...but if my live solution never got any better than this (Kemper + RCF NX12), I could live a very happy gigging life!

I also really have to tip my hat to Mike Pyle at AudioPyle where I bought this thing. He had the best price I managed to find on an RCF speaker in the US (by a good margin actually), but as you will see from the thread, I had some issues at first that needed to be sorted out. He was very accessible when I needed to talk to him about the problems, and VERY prompt in sorting things out on his end to get me up and running quickly.

:thumbup:

• Any more feedback on the DLM12? Just got my Kemper :D . Trying to decide to go the FRFR route or get an amp for my Avatar 2x12 cab
    I never got to try it with the band. I allmost bought one ,because I was very impressed with it. I have decided to hold off until I try the Atomic CLR ( I'm on the list). Hope to get it soon