Recommended expression pedal?

• No, crankyrayhanky, there is no solid pedal. :(

I tried a lot of them, some have steardy looks outside (like the Boss FV500 or the Ernie Ball) but inside they all use the same shabby and fragile potentiometer technology; some with dental wheels, some with levers and Ernie Ball with its cord idea - none is really convincing.

By using a Y-cable you can also use regular volume pedals, this certainly widens the scope of your search but really good volume pedals (like Hilton or Goodrich) don't work with the KPA because they have buffers on the in- and output.

I still cheerish hopes that Kemper one day will decide to produce it's own expression pedal. Doesn't take rocket science and certainly not years of R&D. All it needs is the will to sell something decent and musical - which they certainly have.

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

Edited once, last by fretboardminer ().

• I am not talking about failiure (although the Boss FV500 got scratchy after a few months), I am talking about precision and (physical and electronical) smoothness when used to control the overall master volume. You won't feel that when you use it as a wah-wah. Imagine your recording engineer would use your expression pedal instead of those sophisticated sliding pots of his mixing console to create all the fader movements in your next album. Would you like that? So the problem is the hooky feel when you move it and the dull linearity of the range. This is why in a good DAW you can select fades with nonlinear curves and even draw your own ones:
    [Blocked Image: http://www.audiosemantics.de/FORUMS/fade-curve.jpg
    AFAIR in GuitarRig every remote controlable parameter had a x/y graph where you could draw and store your own curve for the pedal range. Cool, innit?

This Dunlop Volume-X promises "patent-pending Band Drive for a smooth range of motion without the fear of breakage or change in feel or range". Without much hope I will give it a try. I have been playing a Hilton optical pedal for years and I miss it so much. Maybe instead of paying another 100 Euros for a vague promise, I should meet an electronics serviceman and ask if he can modyfy the Hilton for use as EXP pedal...

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

Edited once, last by fretboardminer ().

• Afew of the pedals look better than what I have, but I imagine that DunlopX is just what I asked for!

Could you please do me a favour and tell me your experience with the Dunlop X. I am especially interested in how smooth the sound starts at the beginning (when used as a volume pedal behind the amp). When you turn your amp very loud and put the pedal to zero, then strike and hold a cord and slowly fade it in.

I just came home from another gig with the Boss FV500 - and I am sooo dissapointed. This lump is so insensitive and bumpy - there was one moment when I almost wanted to kick it off the stage...

www.audiosemantics.de

• I just received my mission EP1 - KP- GP.. MISSION says it is designed specifically for the kpa ?

I am really new with the kpa ( a couple days ) and even newer to the pedal and using the internal wah.

I just tested it for a few minutes thru headphones earlier today, but out of the gate it felt good and sounded good. I had it on a clean channel. I started messing with the parameters , not knowing what the heck I am doing, and tried dirty channel, but that didnt work out. Not the pedal or the kpa fault, complete user error I am sure.

I need more time with it, and hope to have all the time I need on Sunday :)

They say its exclusively offer thru sweetwater. But for those of you that know wah's it might be something to look at.

http://www.sweetwater.com/swee…ion-EP1-KP-User-Guide.pdf

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EP1KPGN