The first Atomic CLR test from a KPA user ?

• Things are parhaps not settled yet. Here's what Tom King (Mr. Atomic) just answered me on the Fractal forum:

[Me] BTW, any word about the commercial channel already?

[TK] We're just a couple of weeks away from our launch in the EU (including
    Scandinavia). Stock has arrived and I'm planning my trip to supervise
    shipping of the first batch and to orient my staff over there. Very
    exciting. More info later.

Note he did not actually answer :rolleyes:

• He said "my staff over there".... Sounds to me like they are going to commercialize directly.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• I agree.
    Here in Europe we have a strong customer protection and having a not clear servicing/reference here might lead to a loss in selling.
    But if they have chosen Germany as core hub for european sales, i think they'll have a fixed partner.
    By the way, does anybody know the prices here in europe and if the wedge works good as a normal cab too?

• So weird they did not choose G66 again...

@ Jimmyno: what do you mean exactly? You can put the wedge on its side and have it stand like a cab, yes.

PS: I've been following the whole CLR story from the beginning, and of course I've started compiling a wiCLR as well ^^

... So I feel quite able to answer some easy questions in case :D

• So weird they did not choose G66 again...

Yes, something must have happened to deterior the relationship between Atomic and G 66.

That's a pity.
    While I'm not a big fan of G66 and his marketing methods per se (not my cup of tea) I can admit anytime that G66’s customer service always has been top notch.

• @ Jimmyno: what do you mean exactly? You can put the wedge on its side and have it stand like a cab, yes.

Thanks, Mr Gearpedia :D
    Well I own a powered cab, which implements a DSP with different EQ's prepared bu the mothership in order to match the position of the speaker and what it's going thru the cab.
    It basically enhances the bass when put on a stand, it changes the high-mids when you select "woman singer" and so on.

So my question is: does the CLR wedge have the same audio results when used as a wedge or in a "standard" guicat cabinet position?

• That's a pity.
    While I'm not a big fan of G66 and his marketing methods per se (not my cup of tea) I can admit anytime that G66’s customer service always has been top notch.

That's interesting, I've not heard anything but good things about them... mind saying some more?

Thanks, Mr Gearpedia :D
    Well I own a powered cab, which implements a DSP with different EQ's prepared bu the mothership in order to match the position of the speaker and what it's going thru the cab.
    It basically enhances the bass when put on a stand, it changes the high-mids when you select "woman singer" and so on.

So my question is: does the CLR wedge have the same audio results when used as a wedge or in a "standard" guicat cabinet position?

The CLR have the same kind of controls. Three modes: Free Field, Backline, Tilt

From the wiCLR (answers are from Mr. Mitchell [the designer] in person):

HTH

:thumbup:

That's interesting, I've not heard anything but good things about them... mind saying some more?
    :

No conspiracy here, only not my cup of tea (remember the Kindergarten- like countdowns before great announcements like the Axe2, a bit silly to me).
    My Motto is more 'Say what you have to say when it's due',
    if you understand what I mean.... 8)

• No conspiracy here, only not my cup of tea (remember the Kindergarten- like countdowns before great announcements like the Axe2, a bit silly to me).
    My Motto is more 'Say what you have to say when it's due',
    if you understand what I mean.... 8)

I think the Axe-FX11 countdown was a Fractal plan, not a G66 plan.

• Tom told me that they start the shipping early March. And that all the information would be made available before shipping.

So i guess we will know in a couple of weeks.

• OK, had my 1st rehearsal with the CLR active wedge last night. My impressions, most of which will echo what others have already posted:

1) It's darker sounding than my K10 and my AKG K550 headphones. Or, to put it another way, I can now hear how hyped the treble is on the K10 and the K550s. I have to re-tweak a lot of my rigs now that I have a truly flat reference to go by. If you've looked at any of the rigs I've shared you'll see that I often have the Treble and/or Presence dialed way down. I'm finding that I have to undo a lot of that.

2) I like the sound of my KPA through my K10, but with the CLR I feel like a layer of artificiality has been stripped away. It just sounds and feels more like real life and less like a recording.

3) It works great for monitoring both my guitar and vocals. One nice surprise: my voice doesn't sound quite as thin and reedy through the CLR. :)

4) It's powerful, more than capable of flattening my bandmates in a 24'x28' rehearsal studio. I had the master volume set at 50%, input 1 (guitar) volume at about 30% and input 2 (vocal) volume at 100%. The KPA master volume was at 7.0.

5) It's built like a frickin' tank. The K10 at 32 lbs. feels like a plastic shell with stuff inside it; the CLR at 45 lbs. feels like a bank safe in comparison. I can't believe I used to routinely gig a 45-lb. tube combo and 22-lb. backup head. But the handle is extremely comfortable and well positioned for balance, so carrying it (short distances) isn't really a bother. I only ran into trouble when I tried to lift my handcart with my KPA, CLR and duffel bag all strapped in together. I can do this with my K10 when the taxi trunk is big enough, but with the CLR I had to break everything down in order to load in. Kinda sucked with the crappy weather last night. I guess I need to work out more.

6) The main feature I miss from the K10, besides the size and weight: the K10 volume knobs have little detentes so that you can reach around and set your levels sight unseen based on the number of clicks. The CLR's volume knobs rotate smoothly with no detentes. They do have a little ridge to indicate the direction of the knob, but I don't think I can reliably set my guitar/vocal mix without eyeballing it, at least not yet. The knobs are also somewhat easy to accidentally turn if you brush up against them. On the other hand, it's nice that the rear panel is perfectly vertical when the CLR is in wedge position. With the K10 in wedge position the rear panel tilts down into the floor, which is awkward for checking settings and connecting/disconnecting cables.

Hope that helps everyone considering making the leap. My K10 will be for sale shortly.

• I was hopin to here a review in a band situation. I'm a little hesitant about the weight, but if it sounds great and can be used with a band at a gig, I'll deal with the weight. I almost bought a Mackie DLM12 (coax) but decided to hols off for the CLR. thanks for the review ( and for adding to my financial demise :D )