Why does the Kemper have so small a Memory?

• IIRC the Line6 HD has 512 presets, the Axe FX 384 and some ten's of cabs....at 1k Rigs and several hundreds of cabs I believe that the Kemper has set a new record..... ?(:rolleyes:

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• 128Mb Samsung memory, so 16MB.
    The firmware has ~8MB, a rig profile 4KB, so therefore we get around 2000 Profiles.
    I think it's enough, but 32MB would be nicer ^^ like always.

But the idea behind the Kemper is sell the idea/concept, so it's the software that is where the magic is, and make profit by letting the software run in a cheap toaster :D
    I mean 550€ for the power amp version, I would like to see a cost break down... my feeling is the margin is above 50%, well for what it does, it's still a bargain for me ;)

• 128Mb Samsung memory, so 16MB.
    The firmware has ~8MB, a rig profile 4KB, so therefore we get around 2000 Profiles.
    I think it's enough, but 32MB would be nicer ^^ like always.

But the idea behind the Kemper is sell the idea/concept, so it's the software that is where the magic is, and make profit by letting the software run in a cheap toaster :D
    I mean 550€ for the power amp version, I would like to see a cost break down... my feeling is the margin is above 50%, well for what it does, it's still a bargain for me ;)

The cost of parts has no bearing on the cost of a product. A manufacturer has the right to charge what ever the market will bear. And again, low memory compared to what? You guys hoping to watch movies or something on the KPA?

• Lol!

The problem is how to make users of digital modelers/profilers less neurotic than users of real amps. The question is how to help neurotically burdened
    digital modeler users from excessive worry and anxieties derived from nothing more than a desire for surplus capacity. 'I don't need it now for anything I do, but I sure need to know that if I do need it, it will be there.' This has been known to cause many a user to lose sleep and to cause emotional contagion in the community. Something simply must be done to help these people be less neurotically burdened.

• Lol!
    ... excessive worry and anxieties derived from nothing more than a desire for surplus capacity. 'I don't need it now for anything I do, but I sure need to know that if I do need it, it will be there.' This has been known to cause many a user to lose sleep ...

You've right, anyone of us, more or less, is risking this :S
    Please, post the CURE ;)

• I can understand the worry and anxieties to an extent. Yes, my Kemper seems to have more than enough memory to meet my needs...it does what I want it to do. But, what if CK comes up with a fantastic OS upgrade down the road that gives us some more truely amazing functionality BUT the current Kemper hardware just doesn't have enough memory or other hardware resource to make it work? The only choices would be to be left behind with the "old" Kemper or lay out a bunch more $$$$ to get a newer future model. I'm a telecoms support guy and I see this kind of thing all the time. New OS comes out that requires more resources than the current platform has...so...upgrade.
    The thing is, this is true of ANY such platform. It is the nature of the beast. Cell phones, computers, gaming toys etc. So, a little anxiety about being left behind will always exist. At the same time, it's always cool to have new toys available to us...if we have the cash. The Kemper and it's ongoing OS upgrades makes it seem like we're getting a new toy everytime there's a FW upgrade. Enjoy it while it last and be happy when the next greatest bestes toy comes along. :D

• what if CK comes up with a fantastic OS upgrade down the road that gives us some more truely amazing functionality BUT the current Kemper hardware just doesn't have enough memory or other hardware resource to make it work?

....an OS that cannot run on the hardware would never make it out of the office of CK, I assume.....

Look, sometime un the future (not that soon, IMHO) they will upgrade the hardware, this is a fact. Even the Virus has gone through several hardware generations in 16 years on the market. You cannot avoid that.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Lol!

The problem is how to make users of digital modelers/profilers less neurotic than users of real amps. The question is how to help neurotically burdened
    digital modeler users from excessive worry and anxieties derived from nothing more than a desire for surplus capacity. 'I don't need it now for anything I do, but I sure need to know that if I do need it, it will be there.' This has been known to cause many a user to lose sleep and to cause emotional contagion in the community. Something simply must be done to help these people be less neurotically burdened.

Very nicely summed up, and so true. :thumbup: