Why does the Kemper have so small a Memory?

• You've right, anyone of us, more or less, is risking this :S
    Please, post the CURE ;)

Lol! No cure found as yet and as more users move away from tubes and towards digital, there will be more cases of this feature anxiety. Best we can hope for is that users get over it soon without any lingering effects later in life. But I'm not hopeful. Just sayin.

• The problem becomes so many rigs sound so good that you are afraid to get rid of them ;(
    I have about 950 right now. I accidently deleted one of my Ampfactory rigs once and let out a loud DOHHHH!(instert Homer Simpson voice)
    You'd think I just tipped over a Bogen stack at a gig.
    This disease 8|

• The problem becomes so many rigs sound so good that you are afraid to get rid of them ;(
    I have about 950 right now. I accidently deleted one of my Ampfactory rigs once and let out a loud DOHHHH!(instert Homer Simpson voice)
    You'd think I just tipped over a Bogen stack at a gig.
    This disease 8|

A quick question, and please dont take this the wrong way...what do you do when you sit down to play guitar? Does any actual practice or playing occur or is your time spent auditioning profiles? I find it mind boggling so many folks want to have that many profiles on their box...

• A quick question, and please dont take this the wrong way...what do you do when you sit down to play guitar? Does any actual practice or playing occur or is your time spent auditioning profiles? I find it mind boggling so many folks want to have that many profiles on their box...

I really don't use that many profiles. Bought it used and it had a bunch already. I added some AF profiles and loaded some. Most of the time I get on a rig and just play. My post was more making fun of myself for keeping so many rigs.
    The first week or two I did audition alot of profiles. Lately I don't really load any and if I do they are gone if I don't like them.
    Really 10-15 great rigs is plenty Huh.

• What are we looking at here?
    An Electronic device/computer that profiles Amps (Record the Soul of Amps & cabs) disguised as a toaster.
    I was ready to put 1500 € on the Counter for a 4 Channel Marshall Combo, when a friend ( Plays in a punk band) suggested the KPA. As a result I practise more, my sound at home is much better, in Band room it Sounds outstanding and eventually I will master Gigs with much much smaller gear. I give a damm how much RAM and ROM it carries, the software is brillant, and if it had worked on an iPad I would had bought it, too!
    CK is a brillant Sound engineer with a Vision and with a fantastic team. Me as a bloody amateur is working with this toy Since october, and I just started discovering the possibilities with Stomps and SFX besides switching through an obscene number of souls of Great Amps.
    Do I get more satisfaction Or Play Better When I know that the Toaster Shows half a Terabyte of RAM? Hell no! I've got a Brian may guitar. Together with the Queen like rigs will I Sound like Brian May? Hell no, of course not.
    We all are in search of the certain mojo. We will Not find it in more RAM or Special Rigs, SFX stomps or boutique Amps. If there is mojo at all, It is already with Most of us in our Fingers and Souls.
    Lets do, what we came for here in the first Place: Play Guitar with a wonderful amp and help each Other to Master the Great Features Already build in.
    Yes, I'm OT and my writing is terrible on this iPad. My apologies for that!

• It's not a bout the mojo :D
    The concerns were also not raised if the hardware is fast enough. I think most of us agree that we bought the toaster for what and how it does.
    The concern was, that obvious the memory is used more and more with every os update. The first "border" was introduced with 1500 Profiles in one of the newer firmwares. 1.6 indicates that it is going down to 1000. Which is still enough, but we're forced to concentrate on the profiles we play the most, but some of us feel limited in their collecting passion.
    The former limit was cash (who had more then 10 Amps), not it's the memory chip (~1000 profiles) --> again a limitation because of money, but we're talking about 15$ (16MB) vs 30$ (32MB) which makes the limitation (1000 Profiles is not really a limitation when you think about how many amps one could buy) a bit unnecessary.

I'm playing for 15 years now and settled myself with 4 amps:
    Fender Twin Reverb
    Vox AC 30
    Marshall JTM 45
    Mesa Boogie Rectifier

With the possibilities the Kemper offers this basis looks now:
    Fender Twin Reverb Koch, Roland JC 120
    Vox AC 30 Fender Deluxe, Evil Robot
    Marshall JTM 45 - (there is no substitution for this Amp, if I would stick to one Amp-Sound, this is my all-time favorite)
    Mesa Boogie Rectifier Diezel, Engl, Road King etc.

So I don't see a big problem here, because I will concentrate on the 4 sounds I need and the remaining hundreds of rigs will be used to play around.
    I'm happy the power amp version and the rack version have the same hardware in principle. But think of the POD/Line 6, it's not so unlikely that switching from analog to digital amps can end up in an hardware race... one more reason to go the Kemper way...

• 1000 rigs ain't a limit for the KPA.
    The "1000 rigs" is a limit while upgrading, but you are free to make a backup, delete all the profiles (maybe all but favourites), upgrade and then install everything from the backup.

• Am I the only one who has only 20-30 rigs on his KPA (and uses about 3 of them :D)?

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• Am I the only one who has only 20-30 rigs on his KPA (and uses about 3 of them :D)?

Nope. You are not alone. 2-3 is the magic average I'm sure. But consider this, how many people do you know who actually change amp tones within a song? Nobody does that. They use the same amp and usually only change voicings/effects within a song. Modelers give you the ability to switch amp tones as well as effects. So now people are switching amp tones within a song and this along with the various 'flavors' ability will bring the average up somewhat. Still to me the issue of memory in particular is a non issue. They can always allow you 'unload' effects as well as profiles to make more room for what the gig requires. You can leave your library of congress collection of amps/effects in your iphone, keydrive, cloud etc. So this is largely a manufactured concern.

Which brings up the issue of core competency and what Kemper wants to hang their reputation on. I think Kemper needs to have one thing that is foremost on their development agenda. And that ain't effects or effects processing or routing options etc. Its amp tones. Pure and simple. Continue refining the profile process. Continue to make amp capture fidelity the primary reason for its existence. Everything else is secondary. Make capturing/playback/recalling amp tones what the KPA is about and it will never go out of style IMO. And that will be true for who ever can do it best. Just imagine if someone comes out with the equivalent of a Digital Fender, or Digital Marshall, Vox etc. And that was all these devices did. Not 100s or 1000s of amps. Just one amp model done best. It would be in every musician's arsenal. Just sayin. Never lose sight of whats most important and reproducing natural amp tones is most important IMO. Let the others use feature abundance as their competitive advantage. As long as the KPA maintains its sonic superiority, that is all that matters.

As Bill Clinton once said; 'Its natural amp tones, stupid' - Words for Kemper to live by.

• OT: down to 78 rigs and busy re-organizing the sounds on the controller. I feel better now :D

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Nope. You are not alone. 2-3 is the magic average I'm sure. But consider this, how many people do you know who actually change amp tones within a song? Nobody does that. They use the same amp and usually only change voicings/effects within a song. Modelers give you the ability to switch amp tones as well as effects. So now people are switching amp tones within a song and this along with the various 'flavors' ability will bring the average up somewhat. Still to me the issue of memory in particular is a non issue. They can always allow you 'unload' effects as well as profiles to make more room for what the gig requires. You can leave your library of congress collection of amps/effects in your iphone, keydrive, cloud etc. So this is largely a manufactured concern.

Which brings up the issue of core competency and what Kemper wants to hang their reputation on. I think Kemper needs to have one thing that is foremost on their development agenda. And that ain't effects or effects processing or routing options etc. Its amp tones. Pure and simple. Continue refining the profile process. Continue to make amp capture fidelity the primary reason for its existence. Everything else is secondary. Make capturing/playback/recalling amp tones what the KPA is about and it will never go out of style IMO. And that will be true for who ever can do it best. Just imagine if someone comes out with the equivalent of a Digital Fender, or Digital Marshall, Vox etc. And that was all these devices did. Not 100s or 1000s of amps. Just one amp model done best. It would be in every musician's arsenal. Just sayin. Never lose sight of whats most important and reproducing natural amp tones is most important IMO. Let the others use feature abundance as their competitive advantage. As long as the KPA maintains its sonic superiority, that is all that matters.

As Bill Clinton once said; 'Its natural amp tones, stupid' - Words for Kemper to live by.

IMHO, the profiling process was first priority or the unit wouldn't exist! I would absolutely love to see expansion of effects and other features, but we've all got our own perogatives....

• 1000 rigs ain't a limit for the KPA.
    The "1000 rigs" is a limit while upgrading, but you are free to make a backup, delete all the profiles (maybe all but favourites), upgrade and then install everything from the backup.

Yeah, but if you could have choise to have twice so much capasity in a memory side in a KPA -and if this costs just say 50-100 USD more:
    arent you not willing to take that version of KPA instead? ;)

• Me not, honestly. I don't use more then 20 sounds on a gig, the rest is available from PC when needed.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Yeah, but if you could have choise to have twice so much capasity in a memory side in a KPA -and if this costs just say 50-100 USD more:

When i choosed my car i picked the one with a lower horsepower for two main reasons:
    1) I don't need them
    2) it costed more

:)

To go back to the discussion: we can talk for hours about all hardware which could have been upgraded with "just" 50€ more.
    Start from the memory, go to the processors, then to the converters.
    Then thing to the leds, or to the plastic knobs, maybe the screen. You are "just" 400 euros more with 50€ steps :rolleyes:
    When you have finished you might thik "well, for just 50€ more i can get a better memory too. So the cicle starts again :D

That's GAS mate, and the KPA is the only thing that has stopped me from buying new amps. I'd keep it as it is.

• Yeah, but if you could have choise to have twice so much capasity in a memory side in a KPA -and if this costs just say 50-100 USD more:

If extra memory were an option, I would not be willing to pay for it as I just have no need for it.