Why does the Kemper have so small a Memory?

• I wonder what kind of memory-consuming upgrades the OP could be thinking about? There are important features- performance mode/Undo/Redo -and minor features - more FX, librarian, pedal, etc, that haven't yet been implemented, but you have to believe there is plenty more power reserves to meet those needs!
    There shouldn't be a need for a Kemper 2! But, you never know.....

8|

"Heavy Metal does have a message for the rest of the world: Fuck You!" -Sebastian Bach

• OK -then we just have to trust that all the coming new features do not put the memory capacity (what ever it means) too tight! ;)

Is the presumption from the initial aliasing discussion in which CK had some concern for future capabilities? Wow. The necrotic nature of this forum continues, its going to be extremely detrimental to future sales of Kemper products. I've had 3 people contact me privately on other forums asking me if it was safe to upgrade to 1.6, one a potential buyer who was concerned with all the "bugs". I'm absolutely positive this will now make the rounds causing concern to potential buyers as well. Folks, just enjoy the unit. If development ended today, I'd still be 100% happy with the unit and continue to use my workarounds for the extra effects I need.

• IMO this thread is as useless as the flu because the premise, that the KPA is attributed with a too small memory, is totally wrong.
    And having spoken to CK last year a Kemper 2 is definitely NOT on the horizon.

But there WILL be a KPA2. It ain't done yet even on amp tone, and not every issue will be solved in 'software'. Great first step that implemented the vision of how modeling should be. They will learn from it and their customers. Rev2 should be really special! Oops, now I've added to the hysteria!!! I wonder how many people will now fret to the point that they are unable to purchase the KPA for fear another is on the way. The horror

• But there WILL be a KPA2. It ain't done yet even on amp tone, and not every issue will be solved in 'software'. Great first step that implemented the vision of how modeling should be. They will learn from it and their customers. Rev2 should be really special! Oops, now I've added to the hysteria!!! I wonder how many people will now fret to the point that they are unable to purchase the KPA for fear another is on the way. The horror

Look to the Axe Ultra/Axe II case study for that. There were actually people so mad they wanted to sue Fractal...

• IMO this thread is as useless as the flu because the premise, that the KPA is attributed with a too small memory, is totally wrong.

total agreement!
    Hm, this thread is still quite active. The KPA is a computer with I/O, RAM and storage. I do not believe that we will face a horror scenario because of RAM shortage. This device has USB and Ethernet conncectors. Modification to the OS will let this device do a lot, means if ever needed there will be ways to read external storage (i.e. flashdisk) devices like we do now with USB. I also do not believe that the Kemper Team did not thought 4 to 5 years into the future. All this PCB layout is far more expensive then a few RAM components, therefore the developers should/will have a clear roadmap about the future and the PCB layout should/will stay for quite some time. The modular design allowed already for the rack version. The extras real estate in the back was for a D class amp. Again, relax, everything is cool. :thumbup:
    Oh yes, there might be a KPA II 8o , eventually in a couple of years of even decades. Think about Windows 8 - along way from 3 point something :rolleyes:
    And we all own a white or black vintage digital amp, which has this extra ordinary sound...

• Look to the Axe Ultra/Axe II case study for that. There were actually people so mad they wanted to sue Fractal...

Lol. Yes I remember it. It was both hilarious and sad. Just as it will be here. After owning the Axe Ultra for 3 1/2 years I was fine with it being upgraded. I knew it needed some things and Cliff listened and responded with the II. I waited for the coupon, sold my Ultra and it amounted to incremental costs for the upgrade. After 3 1/2 years I was cool with that. Even today the Axe Std/Ultra are killer devices I suspect would satisfy 100% of any line 6/digitech/Avid user. Progress always comes at a cost. Now that Kemper has shaken things up and raised the bar, we can already guess in which direction Cliff will take with the AxeIII! MIMIC anyone? Lol.

Just to be clear. I like both of these devices. I admire and respect both inventors. But you can't look at it from the outside and not see the humor of competition. And I could write a dissertation on the of powers of suggestion on the perception of guitar tone in digital modelers. Hmm, maybe I will. Nahhh, doesn't hold my interest well enough. ;)

• It seems like such a small memory.

Can it ever be upgraded or is it hardwired?

I'm the OP. That was my original post.

It is not "neurotic" to ask how much memory is in a computer. The Kemper is a computer (with a great breakout box)

1) How much Memory does it have?
    2) Is the Memory hardwired, or upgradable?
    3) Can the USB port be use to "add" memory in the future if it's hardwired on the board.

So far, NO ONE has answered it. When I buy a Lenovo, I get the specs up front. Where are the specs on the Kemper? Am I to be attacked by Fanboi's for just asking that question? Get a life.

We are talking, as one forum member put it, $15-30 bucks upgrade in memory. Why need more memory?
    1) Future OS expansion
    2) Future Pedals added
    3) CabinetMaker IR's added
    4) Obviously Rig storage

My computers have 8GB of RAM. I use 2TB harddrives. I use USB flash drives of 16MB and 32MB.
    It's not too much to ask that a $1600 dollar computer have upgradable memory from 16->32MB if that's what it has. Very valid query.

Now, that said, only a dolt would be scared away from the Kemper after hearing it. Its the best, most realistic sounding digital emulation of a real recorded amplifier on the market I have ever heard. Great time to be alive!

• I absolutely agree. This is not meant to try and pinpoint any shortcomings or in any way cause detriment to the company or anything. A valid question (well, series of questions), with some good points.

• >> But consider this, how many people do you know who
    >> actually change amp tones within a song? Nobody does that.

I guess if you come from the "I have one amp on stage" perspective or the KPA is your first use of digital amp replacement technology, you wouldn't think of changing rigs mid-song.

For those of us that adopted modelers years ago, changing rigs (patches) numerous times in a song is standard practice. How else could I go from a chiming clean intro to a dirty vamp to a screaming lead? I have about 50 patches that are song specific and 5 patches that are my goto tones.

bd

• You're a fun guy to debate with...but don't take things so seriously. :)

You ask, "how much memory does the Kemper have"?
    But, the title of your thread is, "Why does the Kemper have such a small memory?"
    It's not neurotic, it's just a negative thread title, it's provocative.

Perhaps Kemper should have said from the start that the rig saving capacity was 500...like Line 6 did, or like Fractal did.
    When Kemper said, when updating to the new firmware make sure you only have around 1000 rigs, suddenly guitarist OCD set in and an imaginary small memory problem arose.

The difference is, you have to upgrade a computer, you have to
    continuously increase it's memory and it's processing power so that it
    can function with new software technologies...it's like a cellphone.

You dont have to keep updating an amplifier, if you have a 1965 Deluxe Reverb it still sounds great without any updates (excluding maintenance).
    If your Kemper Amp sounds incredible right now why waste energy obsessing and stressing about future updates?..it's going to sound the same in 15 years from now, with no updates.

We've been told the current memory can handle future OS and FX updates, and a ridiculous amount of saved rigs/cabinets...we don't have to worry, we can just enjoy playing.

• I,m agree with Your opinion, but the Kemper it,s not "ready" yet.
    ......and there are still some unusable parts on it like the Perform, undo, redo switches, the Network and the usb connecting slots.

Because of this we are waiting some upgrades, and of course more configurability for live performance, like from other processors in our modern era.
    The truth is that the KPA is one of the best sounding digital ampsim.
    For me is simply the best, but I can,t forget that the digital technology offers much more versatility in assigning, programming, configuring domain. And Mr. Kempers wonderbox can do all that trucks in the future. I,m 100 % sure about this, but I,m afraid a little with my last upgrading problems....Can be the noth enough memory the cause?..or simply it was the beta versions instability?

So I think that this little BEST SOUNDING DIGITAL BOX, the KEMPER PROFILING AMPLIFIER can be in the near future
    THE BEST PROGRAMMABLE/CONFIGURABLE/ASSIGNABLE MIDI COMMUNICATIVE DEVICE/MUSICAL INSTRUMENT too.....before the KPA2 if his capacity let to make this with it.

• If you're running an open air festival which is 12 hours without pause and every guitar hero performs on this small, shared lunchbox, the artists will have to change the rig every 22 seconds on average to make use of the 2.000 rigs we can roughly store on the KPA. 'nuff said? :whistling:

• Yes, this is thrue, but I think that most of us, the concerting guitarists, don,t want 2000 rigs, only a good sounding, versatile, easy configurable and stable modern gear....

With the sound: I,m happy. :P

With the stability: I don,t have ever any problem on stage from july 2012. :) (...with the last upgrading process there was a lot of very strange things happend... ?( ., but finally it,s working good again) :)

With the versatility in communication with other gear like foot controllers via MIDI, computers via USB, DAW via SPDIF I have doubts........... :(

but one more time:
    I trust in mr. Kempers and his teams genius, and I,m waiting to make my little wonderbox to be perfect in all aspect indifferent of the lack or no lack in the memory! :thumbup:

• I guess I'm MORE interested in knowing if Memory can be upgraded. But it would be nice to know the specifications in this regard. Why? Because I BOUGHT IT, that's why.

I bought a car. I can ask Hyundai all about the Sonata. They'll tell me all about the memory of the on-board computer and capability and specs of literally every part. That's the expectation of the modern consumer.

That said, I'm fine with 1k rigs. There is a workaround that takes a few minutes at most to employ.

That said, Kemper did so many things right about this unit. It's easy to use, fantastic in results.

To me the only glaring omission is an external editor. That HAS to be on the table, or spec given out to those willing to create one.

If ONLY to be able to rename them faster and in bulk.

Why? So I can organize my rigs and then be able to import them in a more logical way with better naming conventions.

Edited once, last by db9091 ().

• I bought a car. I can ask Hyundai all about the Sonata. They'll tell me all about the memory of the on-board computer and capability and specs of literally every part. That's the expectation of the modern consumer.

Well, ok, but nothing will stop them to bring on next years model if they see fit nonetheless... 8)