TheAmpFactory Pack4

• Great!
    I've bought the AmpPack4 and all Amps sounded amazingly. The soundsamples are very good and well played. All Samples sounds much better than my own playing. :rolleyes: If you don't know it you would never believe that all sounds came from this funny little box. I prefer the clean and crunch tones and they are all with a incredible dynamic.
    Excellent work!

• is there anything else going on in the sound samples mix wise, or just the profile patches as we would download them?

Great bundles though, looking forward to the modern amps bundle, please do some fortin profiles :)

• Andy,
    I think its your best bundle to date sound wise, and especially fine those of us who love classic clean/crunch/old school rock.
    And I think you're right on the money with the packaging, fewer profiles, reverb right down. Already recording with them and they sound great.
    What a great birthday present that was!
    :):)
    Neil

ps I don't think I can take much more until the mythical librarian/editor arrives.....

• Nice one Neil, hope you had a good Birthday!

About Reverb, I never know how much to add to profiles. - its getting less and less these days :)
    Personally if playing alone I like to use some, - I never record with it though, I guess its a taste thing.

I just wish the Kemper had a real spring reverb emulation. (it gets close but no cigar)

• I really like the Bite of this amp, and I,m not a hugh orange fan. but a massive vintage orange fan, there is a big difference to me.

I've always wanted to post this, but have forgotten until now:

You might not know it, but we germans have a very special relationship with those Orange Matamps or at least with their sound....

The very first show in german TV featuring the then so-called "Beat music" was the "Beat Club" produced by Radio Bremen. The show ran from 1965 to 1972 but reruns till today. In 2009 the ARD even issued a 3-DVD box edition of that show. It was that popular over here and still is.

They started out with mostly playback but when they gravitated to live performances eventually, they had a house backline. Guess what it was?

Here is a clip of Free playing that show, you can spot the Matamp pretty well:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q5ea_ggGtc

Black Sabbath:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6y6_xJ0SCY

Jethro Tull:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY06aeOmVYE

Fleetwood Mac:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w1dQebIuvA

Johnny Winter:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASUKpPxvpD0

I think a lot of the talk of those artists using an Orange is coming from those clips showing them playing the house backline at the "Beat Club" ;)

• Garrincha,
    Thanks for posting that. The Free clips is fantastic - just found a rocking Fire and Water too, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5bKGRn5Eyc Anyway amazining how Kossoff sound just like him even without the usual Marshall stack.
    BTW you were going to post a version of All right now - did I miss it?
    :)
    Neil

• Interesting find, Garrincha. :) Loved the Beat Club a lot (apart from the horrible psychedelic chroma key orgies)
    Paul Kossoff used Orange more than once. Here's another video from 1970, recorded in Manchester's famous Granada Studios.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• BTW you were going to post a version of All right now - did I miss it?

I have that meddley of "ride a pony" and "allright now" in the live at the BBC version with me on one side and Koss on the other, do you mean that? I thought I gave you the link, no? Soundcloud wouldn't let me upload the complete songs due to copyright issues so I cut a meddley together.

I also wanted to do a Allright now version with the original backing track and me playing guitar over it but that didn't happen yet. There is a multitrack version from one of those rockstar games floating around and one guy on youtube seems to have it. But I couldn't find it yet. It would be really interesting to switch back and forth between Koss and my attempt to just compare the tone. To do that properly you'll need the original backing track since bass and drums do contribute much to the overall perception of even the guitar sound.

But if anybody has those Free multitracks, shoot me a PN please ;) I couldn't even find out which game it was otherwise I would have bought it and grabbed the *.MOGG-files myself.

• Interesting find, Garrincha. :) Loved the Beat Club a lot (apart from the horrible psychedelic chroma key orgies)
    Paul Kossoff used Orange more than once. Here's another video from 1970, recorded in Manchester's famous Granada Studios.

He's plugged into the Marshall though ;)
    I think I saw several pictures from various gigs with the Orange in the background but I never saw him plugged in other than in that Beat Club clip. But he certainly had one and he also had a Hiwatt on some occasions. Never heard him play the Hiwatt though...

• Re 'if anybody has those Free multitracks, shoot me a PN please' could they also send to me too.

Garrincha, btw did you ever listen to my http://www.kemper-amps.com/for…page=Thread&threadID=7560. I know I've not got the sound right ( i'm going to have to get rid of those burstbuckers ) but I think the tunes in the ballpark although I don't profess to be able to really do him justice..
    Neil

• Re 'if anybody has those Free multitracks, shoot me a PN please' could they also send to me too.

Garrincha, btw did you ever listen to my http://www.kemper-amps.com/for…page=Thread&threadID=7560. I know I've not got the sound right ( i'm going to have to get rid of those burstbuckers ) but I think the tunes in the ballpark although I don't profess to be able to really do him justice..
    Neil

No, I've seem to miss that one. Nice Free-vibe production wise. And I like the Strat sounds, they sound perfectly in the vibe.

You're right about the Les Paul sounds though. You play really great but the guitar is not up to the task. It's also a bit more gain than Kossoff would have used. His sound was more about volume than gain. He didn't crank his Marshall to the same point EVH did.

What guitar is it exactely? In the link you wrote "Variax Les Paul". Is it one of those Line 6 Models? I'm not too familiar with those.

BTW: Burstbuckes are not that bad. I know their reputation of being far from a real PAF but that's not entirely true IMHO. They sound good and not too far off in the lower registers. They lack the high-end though and that becomes more appearent in the upper registers and also if you are going for the famous "double tone" of a Les Paul. That is basically the overtone being nearly as loud as the fundamental. A very good Les Paul always sound as if there's some kind of chorus kicked in. You can hear that on all of Kossoff's tracks. To get that effect the PU has to have a good top-end frequency response. Real PAFs are VERY bright PUs. I remember when I first played a real '59 Burst I was shocked how bright the guitar was. Much like a Tele on steroids ;)

And for that trick the burstbuckers fall short but they are still very good PUs. To get really better you have to spent a substantial sum of money ;)

• Tr y replacing the abr studs w steel ones and put thin steel thumb wheels on it. The ones from RetroSpec are good.
    Brass studs and wheels will warm up a guitar.
    An aluminum abr will also sound better on some dark Lester's

• Tr y replacing the abr studs w steel ones and put thin steel thumb wheels on it. The ones from RetroSpec are good.
    Brass studs and wheels will warm up a guitar.
    An aluminum abr will also sound better on some dark Lester's

What you say! This is a great and inexpensive way to brighten up a Les Paul and if I'm not mistaken it is also the material the vintage ones were made from. Gibson did change it on the historics through the years and I think in some years they actually had steel studs factory installed. I might be wrong with that though since I have lost track of all the minor changes they do to the Historics each year.

• to chuck a pennyworth in here, i recently upgraded my old les paul with a pair of bare knuckle mules, and can report these things are alive, such an improvement

another thing that may be a bit contentious is i use the joe bonamassa stringing method, thats up over the top of the tailpiece, which allows the it to be tightened right down against the guitar, i also have tonepros bridge and tail piece, so its all locked down tight, which really helps sustain i find

• Mine is a gold LP JB Studio which was strung that was around. For me the burstbucker ( i think their 2's and 3's ) sound too modern and loud, great with Blackstar. Either going with the BK Mules or thecreamery 59's..
    Neil

• i have a lee roy parnell '57 goldtop which comes with ron ellis pups. i can HIGHLY recommend these. bright. balanced. woody. wonderful les paul tone.

• When it comes to pickups everybody goes through at least 5 and settles on one eventually he/she would recommend from that point on.

I'm no exception of that rule ;)

I went through a couple of boutique PAF clones and ended up with Throbak SLE101+.
    What I like about the Throbak is the philosophy behind them. No Vodoo, no snake oil, no magic hand/scatter/whateverwound. They are just made the same way as in 59 on the very machine from the old Gibson factory (Seymour Duncan has the other one of two machines at the old Gibson facility), with wire made from the same manufactorer, same materials for screws an so on.

They are basically PAFs made today and they sound that way. I was not so much after a specific legendary recorded tone, I was after the sound of two real Bursts I was fortunate enough to have played some years ago. Real PAF have a certain feel to them, have very much top-end (surprisingly so), have a midrange honk and a tight bass that wouldn't get muddy on the neck PU. I found several boutique vendors getting one or mor of those factors right, but the only one that sounded and felt like those PAFs in the two Bursts were the Throbaks.

But as I said: That's the result of my own search and since everybody has a different idea of what a "PAF sound" actually is, everybody has to find the right pickup (for his guitar) for himself.