FRFR vs Studio Monitor for Tweaking

• I currently run my Kemper through an RCF Art312 MKIII. I'd say the sound quality is pretty solid. I run it from the monitor out. One thing I have noticed though is that nearly every rig I load (many of the popular ones here) needs to have the cab changed in order to get tones that don't sound like there is a blanket over them. I play a Les Paul Limited Edition with MCP Detroiters, so I'm fairly confident it's not due to my guitar (results are the same with my LP Standard and my Strat).

My question is for tweaking profiles at home, would a set of active studio monitors give me a better representation of the true tone? I see a lot of praise for the iKey stuff here and have read good things about the Behringer Truths. I'd be interested in investing in some decent active studio monitors, but only if it's going to result in a more accurate representation of what my Kemper is putting out there for fine tuning purposes. If the result is the same as what I'm getting with the RCF, then it would be a pointless expenditure.

Just wanted to get some thoughts from the masses on this one. I find I listen to a clip of a profile online and then when I play it with a similar guitar (LP but with different pickups for instance) the results just aren't even close. Perhaps I'm missing something though.

• You are seeking the flattest response for a pure uncolored representation of the KPA's output. Nothing is truly flat. Everything colors the tone, even the room and surroundings. Finding something that allows the tones you dial in to "translate" well when played back in the mix on various systems is the trick. If your current monitors are not bright enough, you could try using the main or monitor out eq to "remove the blanket". After that, if your dialed in tones translate well in the recorded mix or live PA, you're all set. If your current monitors can't be eq'd to satisfaction, then I'd say it's time to audition some alternatives.

My opinion is that studio monitors are generally more accurate then PA speakers, especially in a properly treated room and when listening in the "sweet spot". A good set of studio headphones can be an aid in comparing what you hear from your monitors. I balance my tones with my headphones then tweak the master eq to match from my monitors. It's a challenge but gets easier once you settle in with a familiar monitor or phones you trust.

Btw, I have the Behringer Truth 2031A's (I think...they have the larger woofer) and they are pretty descent for the low price but there are better options if you have the $$$.

bd

• I notice huge differences in what type of guitar I use (different pickups) and what headphones I use (different colorings) and different speakers, etc.

In general, I tweak or find a patch that works. You can not only change the cabinets but entire stacks.

Have you seen and gotten these presets?:
    http://kemper-amps.com/forum/i…page=Thread&threadID=7749

The link didn't work, unfortunately.

I've tried a number of things. Typically what I do is pick a tone I want. Lets say for instance the band "Jet" tone on Cold Hard Bitch. I research what the player uses, which in this case is a HiWatt 100. So I find that amp (bought Andy's in this case), download a live recording of the song (studio recording "magic" isn't pure amp tone) and tweak side by side until I can get it close. So far this has gone alright. I typically change the amp characteristics, the cabinet, and add an EQ. Usually the Studio Rythme EQ and then tweak the gains in the mids/lows/highs.

What I'm finding though is that when I download a profile off the exchange or pay for one, they almost never sound great from the start or like the clips. I almost always have to add some kind of EQ and change the cab to take the blanket off and bring it to life. I was just curious if this was a byproduct of the RCF at lower volumes and if studio monitors would yield more reliable results. I really want to have the "OMFG THIS PROFILE IS AMAZING!!! AHAHAHAH!!!" Moment that I read so much about in here. I realize guitars and pickups make a difference, but I'm also experienced enough to realize the difference isn't night and day when comparing very similar instruments. I have a LOT of guitars and have tried most of them, usually matching what the recording uses, and it's just not the same. Perhaps the whole direct recording thing sounds completely different than a guitar through the RCF. Not sure.

• Hello , i run my new kemper in a good pair of studio monitors and i experience exactly the same blanket thing...most of the profiles are not alive...did you find any solution ? Mine is release 1.6

• I would try using an FRFR. I run my Kemper at home into an Alto 12" (TS112A)..and others, so I know what it will sound like live through a PA. If you are needing to tweak it alot to get any "alive" feeling it might be the volume level and output of the studio monitor. Do you have a home stereo with larger speakers and/or sub you could at least do a trial run on for comparison without spending money first?

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup: