S/PDIF "survey": who has the KPA working with it, and who hasn't?

• Here's what has been recommended by support:

1. Connect the S/PDIF output of your interface/device to the S/PDIF input of the KPA

2. Connect the S/PDIF input of your interface/device to the S/PDIF output of the KPA

3. Go to the "Input" menu on the KPA and check the "SPDIF Input" option

4. Go to the "Master" menu on the KPA and make sure the "S/PDIF Output" is set to something other than "Off"

5. Still in the "Master" menu, navigate to the last page and make sure the SPDIF Volume is set to something other than minimum

6. In your interface/device select "External" as S/PDIF clock source

Here are my devices [KPA Firmware version: 1.60 Release]:

- Eleven Rack: not working (shows message "External clock: invalid or none") *

- Lexicon MPX1: not working (shows message "No lock!") *

- Line6 HD500: working (has only S/PDIF output and strangely doesn't allow external clock, but works when set to 44.1 kHz)

* Note: the Eleven Rack and Lexicon MPX1 work with each other, both as master / slave and vice-versa.

Please list your working / non-working devices along with any additional information that could be useful to other users. Don't forget to mention which firmware version your KPA is running on.

Thanks!

:thumbup:

• Works fine with my Presonus Firestudio interface using only one cable from the KPA to the Firestudio. (since early beta releases, now on 1.6)

Firestudio is set to use external clock.

I don't use the KPA SPDIF input.

• Rme fireface 400 working fine, has since i bought my kemper about 5 months ago. Spdif connected for both i and out for reamping which i have done a couple of times but mostly for getting the kemper into logic on my imac.
    I set the clock to external via spdif, if i disconnect the rme defaults to internal sync.

2005 gibson lp standard faded/frankenstein tele->kemper->adam a3x/LD systems mon 121

• Digi 192 user here also. Works fine when you set the clock source to SPDIF in PT. I also get pops / crackles if I set the clock source to anything else. I use both SPDIF in and out.

• Focusrite Saffire Pro 26 i/o
    KPA S/PDIF Out -> Saffire S/PDIF in
    Saffire set to external sync

Works somehow with 2 limitations:

• intermittent clicks
    • due to KPA restrictions whole audio signal chain has to be set to 44.1kHz

Both issues make it definitely a no-go here. :(

• Works OK here with my Apogee Ensemble, but I've noticed i'm getting a few clicks recently strangely enough when I was adjusting the cabinet settings yesterday it was crackling away as I changed the values, very strange. I need to try and recreate it and send it in to tech support.

• Roland VG99 SPDIF output to KPA SPDIF input

Works flawlessly. No settings required other than checking the box on the KPA every time I power it up. Yep....EVERY STINKIN TIME. I wish the setting would stay on through a power cycle.

bd

• I got Kemper working with my Akai DPS 24. Haven't got it working with my Presonus Firepod->PC->Reaper yet. That will be next.

For the Akai hookup.

Kemper's settings were the easy part.
    * SPDIF terminal OUT only (no hookup to it's IN since it's the master)
    * Master button setting, SPDIF box checked
    * Master button setting, SPDIF volume full up. Done here.

The Kemper is 24 bit, 44.1 Hz, Master, SPDIF so you may have to read how your receiving system can accommodate those specs.

Akai settings:
    * SPDIF
    * ADAT (on the Akai, this is what you have to set it to to get it to work)
    * 44.1 Hz
    * 24 bit
    * Input 1 and 2 set to DIG L and DIG R
    * Track 1 and 2 set to the inputs and panned hard L and hard R
    * Arm the tracks to hear them, make sure the motorized faders are up

If you can't hear anything at this point, it may be the cable! Cables go bad. And if your cable sticks hard and is hard to pull off, use a screwdriver to pry open it's metal outer parts a bit to make it a looser fit. Otherwise you may pull the soldering apart getting it out (mine was TIGHT and I did that to one of my 2 cables.)

This weekend's new projects:
    * Solder the broken cable
    * Get Kemper talking SPDIF to my Presonus Firepod and Reaper on the PC.
    * Play Soccer
    * Drink Beer

• Q: Why would you need to have anything connected to Kemper's "IN" SPDIF port?

I run a processor ahead of the KPA. My processor can electronically alter my tuning, intelligently harmonize, turn my Strat into an acoustic, LP, mandolin, banjo, organ, or analog synth...and a bunch of other neat tricks Kemper may never try to replicate. The SPDIF output into KPA input is the best way to interconnect the two. I just wish the SPDIF input setting would stay active on power cycle...ugh!

bd

• It works flawlessly in my studio into the SPDIF in of a Avid/Digidesign 96 I/O and flawlessly at home into the SPDIF in of my Avid C400. Never had a problem with it...just make sure to clock the interface from the Kemper. Absolutely zero problems.

• My setup is a little complicated:

Cubase 5 DAW with RME 9632 -> ADAT -> Yamaha 01v96 -> Audio switch SPDIF -> KPA -> Audio switch SPDIF -> DAW -> SPDIF -> Studio Monitors

Those cheap cinch audio switches are used as a mini switching matrix for the SPDIF signals, because i need some flexibility. This way i can bypass the monitoring over the mixer and the KPA and just use this for reamping. In every situation it only uses digital connections. The routing is quite tricky but since the RME stuff is really great concerning the routing and monitoring flexibility with presets it´s still comfortable. Never had any problem with the SPDIF on the KPA.

• I use the KPA connected to an Apogee Ensemble via SPDIF for re-amping and it works with no problem....
    I wouldn't recommend you to set you audio card to EXTERNAL CLOCK btw, keep it as master, set it to INTERNAL clock source and sample rate to 44.1Khz, since KPA only works at that sample rate.