Discussion about free and "commercial" profiles/rigs - copying these and copy protection - some thoughts

• Well, being Greek myself, I found it rather offensive. I do feel such a throw with words is not 'cool' in the forums... People are different. Just because one guy says 'hey we are insulting ourselves' doesnt mean someone from the same background will also be 'cool' with the statement. Just my 2 drachmas ;)

• My two eurocents (that's what I have in my pocket after the crisis ;( :(
    I'm pretty sure that Gianfranco wanted to be ironic (well, auto ironic to be punctual).
    I understand people who felt offended, but my experience is that an Italian guy asked me to "share" some commercial profiles, and obviously I refused.
    I think that the vast majority of Russian, Greeks, Italian and miscellaneous (like Davide :P ) are honest, while I cannot deny that some Italians (like I am) have an approach towards piracy which is... well, let's say "ambivalent" :S

• I think the Internet has fostered a "everything should be free" mentality, and most don't feel that there's anything immoral about that. As for me, I've never understood how this could survive as a business model, morals notwithstanding.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Hey Lucky,

I'm sorry you feel offended, it was not my intention. But you can't be offended by facts. I refuse both the "ignorant" and the "racist" part.

Did you know that in international social forums (such as Couchsurfing, which I'm a proud member of) Italy and Greece are the two countries where girls receive the highest rates of unwanted sexual approaches (is it called sexual harassment?) by PM? Here's another fact. I'm not proud of it as an Italian, but if you can't face this it's a problem of yours, my friend.
    Does it mean that as an Italian I harass girls on forums and steal software?
    Does having a high rate of corrupted politicians in our countries mean that all Italians and Greeks are corrupted?

Last time I read the statistics (as you might have noticed I just wrote about European countries) Greek and Italy were the two last countries in the list in terms of bought software vs. used software. Figures might have changed meanwhile, but culture has certainly not. Again, facts. So I'm not ignorant at all, mine is an informed statement.
    And It's certainly of no relief that China or Turkey are much more active than us in terms of hacking.

As for the racism... racism is the attitude of considering other people inferior on a cultural, genetic or geographic basis. But you're not a racist when you list facts: you're a racist when you generalize those facts and use them against someone.

For example, in the '80s most of the housebreakings in Italy were performed by Albanian people. So I guess I shouldn't have had an Albanian girlfriend at the time.
    I'm not racist at all, at least not in your meaning and for your purpose.

Anyway, reading back my post, and by your attitude, I guess I might have been a bit ambiguous. When I wrote "Maybe because not many Italians, Russians or Greeks have yet bought profiles?" I did not mean that the majority of them is stealing profiles, but rather than since there're not (yet) thousands of KPA users in those countries, the hackers among them have not yet had the time to make illegal copies circulate. Of course I was (auto)provoking.

One last word about the "incredibly" part. What I find incredible is that we (Greeks and Italians) go on voting for the same thieves.
    That by just saving one fighter-bomber (one F-35 costs about 135 million €) each nation could vaccinate all the kids in the world for their entire life.
    That when a managing director of a big multinational company who has to resign because they have just killed thousand of people in India due to lack of security measures in a plant he's given a golden handshake of several millions dollars...

I could go on for hours, but you get the point.

Again, sorry if this has disturbed your serenity.

Peace & axes

PS: Sorry all for the OT ^^

• LOL!!! I would love if you could join us for a beer in a couple of days! That would be big fun, Larry. :D

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• I've always found it strange folk saying they are 'proud' of their cultural heritage when most of it was produced before they were born... Anything you contribute after is merely an accident of birth. Perhaps I'm just not very patriotic, but then again my accident of birth has rendered me... English... :whistling:

Let me take this opportunity to apologise for all those 'impolite incursions' made into many forum members countries by my red coated English meglomaniac ancestors. Sorry...

To all you Greeks, Italians and other country members... Please feel free to invade Lincoln, UK. Our quality of food could do with being significantly Improved.

BTW, banter is not racism... Unless you do it whilst carrying a burning torch and pitch fork. 8)

Suhr Classic Pro, Fender deluxe Strat & Baja Tele, Gibson ES335, Ibanez S Prestige 2170FW, Eastman AR371CE, Variax JTV > KPA > Patch bay inc. Strymons (Mobius, Timeline, Blue Sky), H9 Max, TC Triple Delay, & POD HD500 > Adam A7Xs

• But Gianfranco, how do you really feel? Don't hold back. :D

;(

... Well, Doctor... :|

... can I really open myself to you? :S

... Day after day, love turns grey
    Like the skin of a dying man.
    Night after night, we pretend its all right
    But I have grown older and
    You have grown colder and
    Nothing is very much fun any more.
    And I can feel one of my turns coming on.
    I feel cold as a razor blade,
    Tight as a tourniquet,
    Dry as a funeral drum.

Run to the bedroom,
    In the suitcase on the left
    You'll find my favorite axe.
    Don't look so frightened
    This is just a passing phase,
    One of my bad days.
    Would you like to watch T.V.?
    Or get between the sheets?
    Or contemplate the silent freeway?
    Would you like something to eat?
    Would you like to learn to fly?
    Would'ya?
    Would you like to see me try?

Would you like to call the cops?
    Do you think it's time I stopped?
    Why are you running away?

:pinch:

Thanks Doc, feeling much better now ^^

PS: Larry, should you happen to find yourself around Freiburg, Germany next week drop a line! :thumbup:

• ... Come play with us, Larry...

External Content
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    [\youtube]

• I called and asked Mr. Swart how he felt about me profiling his amp and then putting it up on the Free Rig Exchange, and how he would feel if someone even charged for the profile.

He didn't know about the Kemper, so I had to explain it to him. After understanding how the Kemper operated, he said he had no problem with a profile, or using his name on a Free Rig Exchange. He DID have a problem using his name for profit, so if I charged for a rig of a Swart amp, I would have to negotiate the use of "Swart" with him, or else be forbidden to use it.

This isn't even on the radar of most amp manufacturers right now. I doubt Marshall would even care UNTIL they see how good the Kemper is, or the writing on the wall that they might lose money to the Kemper for Commercial rigs of their amps. So in the future, those selling may have to pay for the right to use Marshall's brand name on a rig, or else be barred from using it, having to use derivative or descriptive names, like Kemper does calling a pedal "green".

That said, I only saw one instance where someone bundled up their rigs and made them available, which had some of Andy's stuff on it, and the forum mentioned he shouldn't do that. It was the only instance of sharing a commercial rig, and I am not sure if he paid for it or it was one of Andy44's free ones (non-commercial) but the forum member feedback indicated it was. So there is community monitoring to safeguard the work of people like Andy44.

Now WHY should people PAY for a commercial rig? Because Andy gets the equipment in, uses an expensive chain, and mostly spends a lot of time with setting up the mics and gear and tweaking the results with various pedals. Time = Money, and he has a right to charge. The market will determine if his prices are "fair". That's capitalism. IF the rigs that come with the Kemper, or the Free Exchange rigs were as good or better than Andy's, who would buy them? So he HAS to produce a better product. Micing an amp is an art that takes experience and good equipment. Andy has both. I have decent equipment, and less experience. Andy helped me profile some of my rigs. I put them up for free. All my music and musical work is for free. I work as a Chemist. You want me to do Chemistry for you, I'll charge! ;)

I do have an interesting question about something I came across. Let's say I want to profile my amp. I have to start with a reference. What if I use a Commercial rig as a reference. Yes, my amp is being profiled, but let's say I keep all the effect parameters the same? Can I charge for that, using essentially a commercial rig's settings from the reference?

• I do have an interesting question about something I came across. Let's say I want to profile my amp. I have to start with a reference. What if I use a Commercial rig as a reference. Yes, my amp is being profiled, but let's say I keep all the effect parameters the same? Can I charge for that, using essentially a commercial rig's settings from the reference?

You mean have two Kempers and use one to profile a commercial rig on the other?

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• You mean have two Kempers and use one to profile a commercial rig on the other?

No, when you do a profile, the directions call for choosing an existing rig "similar" to the tone of the one you are profiling. I'm talking about using a Commercial rig to be that starting rig, and keeping all its exact settings (effects) for your new profile.

• No, when you do a profile, the directions call for choosing an existing rig "similar" to the tone of the one you are profiling. I'm talking about using a Commercial rig to be that starting rig, and keeping all its exact settings (effects) for your new profile.

A new profile is a new profile, you just keep the tags and the effects of the existing rig. You can use it in order to set the return level too.