Free All Right Now Clip

• With my R8 and Throbak PUs the profile is a bit too gainy and bright for Kossoff. But that might be due to the PUs, as these Throbaks are really bright PUs - just like old PAFs were. You were going for the current radio mix, right? AFAIK this was done in the 80s and they added quite some treble on the guitars at the mix stage (and fucked up the drums alltogether...). The original album version of that song has much darker guitars. Not even subtle, I think we are talking 6-8dB @ 8kHz. The album version might be much closer to how Kossoffs amp sounded in studio.

Kossoff also used not much gain, it was more sheer volume to get the sustain. That part of the equation is hard to match with the KPA. Other than that your profile is a great Plexi and funny enough I used the same cab (Andys free '67 cab) when I was trying to built my personal Kossoff rig. My rig sounds pretty similar (minus a bit of gain and a bit less treble) but it would match Kossoffs live tone and the tone of the earlier studio records much closer than that solo of "Allright now".

That particular solo sounds like nothing else Kossoff has ever done. And he couldn't nail that tone live neither. Most of the time he nailed his studio sounds perfectly on stage, but not in this case. I also know people who saw Free live when they were supporting the release of ARN and thought the same thing.

After much research I've come to the conclusion that he just wasn't playing a Marshall on that track. His rhythm sounds are also different from what he used on other well known tracks.

My bet goes on a Selmer Treble & Bass 50 for that number. There are several guys on the net who believe they have heard that from good authorities. Also Kossoff used to work at Selmer's in London and might have kept a good sounding one for himself. That track also sounds like a mixture of Vox and Marshall and the Selmer amps were know for that sonic character.

I have Andys recent Treble&Bass profiles and I really think there is a point in that rumour. The Selmer has the very same character of that song although the profiles are a bit too bright and too gainy as well (probably Andy was going for the radio edit of the song as well ;). But I tweaked them a little and I think they are closer to the original tone than my previous attempts with a Plexi profile.

When I find the time at the weekend I'll try and give that song a go myself.

Edited 2 times, last by Garrincha ().