How good does disabling the cabs work for you?

• Thread deleted. Before you guys start some TGP conspiracy thread, I personally deleted it on my own accord. There were many folks contributing to that thread's downfall and I do not point the finger at anyone in specific.

• Will deleted the thread with a bona fide CK comment. Isn't that illegal on some planets?!? ;)

CK comment was solid, though part of it could've been construed as a bit of a passive aggressive slam on Tech 21 as well. Just not happy with the direction of that thread, nearly 10 pages of which maybe 1.5 were actually on topic...

• Jay has a very direct communication style which can come off as condescending. Point of fact. That said, there was 1 or maybe 2 people who were responded to unfairly. The rest attacked Jay first.

Jay is a troll plain and simple, the guy spews misinformation like there's no tomorrow trying to impress people and (on TGP) gets no recourse from basically joining in to random threads for the purpose of stirring things up and insulting people, not once have I seen him actually help anyone, post any examples to back up his claims or add anything of value to that site. Just recently I challenged his accuracy which he couldn't defend instead resorting just to numerous apoplectic insults, and then got banned from the site for reciprocating a single insult (in fact in a milder manner than his original approach) which lets be honest here is actually pretty hilarious and kinda sums up TGP and Jay nicely.

• I didn't see the thread in question, and it sounds like that's probably a good thing.

To the point of the original poster's question: I love the cab-swap feature -- it's one of many examples of the kind super clever, out-of-the-box (pun intended) engineering that the KPA in general exemplifies. It's a great way to get in the ballpark of what an amp would sound like running through a particular cab. However, it is not really an accurate swapping of cabs in the way that the profiling process is a literal, and often highly accurate, direct measurement of the sum of amp, cab, and recording chain.

In general, when cabs are swapped to new amps, cabs win. You can test this very easily. Just profile the same amp at two different tone and gain settings without changing the cab or mic, and swap the cabs on the resultant profiles. The profile tones will change -- sometimes substantially. The cab from the brighter profile will port this brightness to the darker one, and vice versa. In effect, the amp tones are to some degree being blended.

There's nothing wrong with this. It's still a super cool feature and I'd rather have it than not have it. I just don't think it should be taken as literally as the profiling process in terms of its accuracy, and I think the manual should in fact be clearer about this. It took me a couple days when I first got the device to realize that the manual was, in fact, implying that you could actually move a cab to a whole different profile.

Moving forward, I'd love to be able to model amps and cabs separately -- not as a replacement for the current implementation, but as an extension of it. Rigs for which separate amp/cab profiles were not taken can still use the current method. And very conveniently so.

Incidentally, when the KPAs start shipping with power amps, this would be an ideal time to implement cab profiling. Just jack the output of the power amp into a cab, run some profiling signals, and bingo. I'd also love this process to also capture room ambience the way impulse responses do, but I'm not holding my breath on that.

In either case, looking forward to it...

• I just got a KPA a couple days ago and have been playing, primarily, through a Randall RT2/50 tube power amp into a number of different guitar cabs with a variety of 12" speakers.
    I'm getting great results with many profiles using the monitor output and cabs locked off.

I'm still working my way through a bunch of profiles, weeding out the mediocre stuff that doesnt interest me and learning all the ways to get levels balanced to optimize the sound, rigs i want to keep balanced to each other and the best ways to set up Clean Sens and Distortion Sens for different guitars etc. etc. but in spite of the neccessary 'new gear housekeeping' chores I am truly spending a lot of time just picking a profile and getting lost in the playing instead of in the tweaking. The KPA is a cut above its peer group in many ways.

I have owned an AxeFx Ultra, AxeFx II, ElevenRack (twice), PodHD500 (and every prior generation Pod), every Roland and most Boss modelers as well.
    The Kemper is remarkable in that it delivers, at the minimum, an amp sound that rivals any of them. Probably better than all of them and has, in my opinion, by far the best physical layout for a player to access while playing. You don't have to interrupt your groove in order to tweak a parameter. I love it.

For playing with 'cabs off' into a power amp I'm extremely impressed.
    And if it had a decent parametric EQ for shelving lows and highs I think it would rate top of the heap for FRFR use as well. So far some profiles don't need the low pass/ high pass filter for FRFR duty but some really need it. I think the secret to that might be in how they were profiled but I haven't played with that side of the device yet to be able to say for sure.

I know most people see it as a studio tool and certainly it is a brilliantly conceived tool for that purpose but from my experience with it so far, and with all the other units like it, the Kemper Profiling Amplifier is already proven to be the best 'amp replacement' I have ever tried. The money I spent on it was going to be used to buy a Fargen head, I bought the KPA instead and already found a profile of the Fargen that is really good...so it looks like I got both and then some for the same price...

• Jay has a very direct communication style which can come off as condescending. Point of fact. That said, there was 1 or maybe 2 people who were responded to unfairly. The rest attacked Jay first.

This. I've learned plenty from his posts. Tangled with him a few. It's all good once you apply the appropriate filters! Jay's onscreen persona is direct and curt, leaving the impression of 'asshat'. Its clear he has his opinions and is biased by years of technical and musical experience. I've had my disagreements with him, but respect his opinion as a audio technologist and musician. And now he has a consumer product out in the marketplace. Doesn't make him right on all things, but his comments on acoustics and speaker tech have to be taken seriously. When it comes to the CLR I take his comments as the word of the designer.

Will deleted the thread with a bona fide CK comment. Isn't that illegal on some planets?!? ;)

This is why even self censorship has its issues. Forum threads are fluid and are 'drunken' walks through any topic. With waves and eddies where the original topic can get in a fatal spiral and never emerge! I missed CK's comment's as well but understand Will's decision as the OP. Would be nice if OP's could moderate their own threads on forums. That way they could exercise some editorial control over the content of threads bearing their names. Hey that's a great idea! ;)

Jay is a troll plain and simple, the guy spews misinformation like there's no tomorrow trying to impress people and (on TGP) gets no recourse from basically joining in to random threads for the purpose of stirring things up and insulting people, not once have I seen him actually help anyone, post any examples to back up his claims or add anything of value to that site. Just recently I challenged his accuracy which he couldn't defend instead resorting just to numerous apoplectic insults, and then got banned from the site for reciprocating a single insult (in fact in a milder manner than his original approach) which lets be honest here is actually pretty hilarious and kinda sums up TGP and Jay nicely.

You were banned? or suspended? Lol! If you were banned thats unbelievable. Any warnings?