HD500 as midi controller

• Hi

For using a HD500 as midi controller feel free to use my patch as a starter.

first make sure that your HD500 are set to FS mode ABCD this are don by press and hold the view button and goto page 1 set it to use FS mode: ABCD.

on the Kemper make sure to go to Rig and set volume to pre and lock it there, also make sure to have a wah in stomp A and under wah set pedal mode to on.
    wah on stomp A are to be saved to rig as off (get switch on by tue switch when switching to exp 2 on the HD500)

The HD 500 are set to work with exp 1 as volume and wah as exp 2
    tuner on Tap/tuner button
    bank up/down as 8o bank up/down
    program number 1->4 are send from button ABCD on bank 1 and program number 5->8 are send from button ABCD on bank 2 and so on.
    setting a rig on the Kemper to midi 2 will make i switch on bank 1 button B, setting a rig on the Kemper to midi 7 will make i switch on bank 2 button D

FS1 to FS4 are set to switch on/off stomp B,C,X, and Mod and for the button light to work I have put in a stomp on the HD500 to be on/off. :love:
    just remember save the HD500 stomp on/off state the same as the Kemper stomps on/off state for the button light to be right .

so just copy my patch to all positions on all banks you are planing on using and it will work :thumbup:

hope this can be of any help, feel free to ask and I will try to assist as far as I can :D

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k7wx22knl8e7rn8/HD500</a> midi patch.h5e?dl=0

Edited 2 times, last by Gibson ().

• Thanks.. I will try.. sounds good... can be an alternative until the Kemper footswitch will be released..
    Have you also HD500 effects in parallel in use?
    Does this work in parallel to the midi controls?
    thx

...I had a lot of equipment... but 2012 I got the KPA.... :)

• I tested it today... it works....
    I don#t know why it works without PC calls? FS5 to 8 is not assigned .. is adjusted to "none".. is this a hardcoded functionality from line6 that bank 1 is 1-4, bank 2 is 5-8, bank 3 is 9-12, ... and so on?
    Can you give me a hint how i can activate the TAP function on the HD500? Tuner is fine, but tap doesnt work in my opinion...
    thx :wacko:

• I tested it today... it works....
    I don#t know why it works without PC calls? FS5 to 8 is not assigned .. is adjusted to "none".. is this a hardcoded functionality from line6 that bank 1 is 1-4, bank 2 is 5-8, bank 3 is 9-12, ... and so on?

Yes.

Can you give me a hint how i can activate the TAP function on the HD500? Tuner is fine, but tap doesnt work in my opinion...
    thx :wacko:

Tap switch must be set to CC # 30.

• Yes.

Tap switch must be set to CC # 30.

HI, regarding Tap switch.. on teh HD500 the Tap switch is also the tuner switch. I expect that it is not possible to hav both on one switch (Line6 has defined a short tap for tapping and a longtap for Tuner)...
    I have to decide if I use it for Tapping or Tuner?
    ?(

• HI, regarding Tap switch.. on teh HD500 the Tap switch is also the tuner switch. I expect that it is not possible to hav both on one switch (Line6 has defined a short tap for tapping and a longtap for Tuner)...
    I have to decide if I use it for Tapping or Tuner?
    ?(

I know the HD 500 well. Have sold mine 6 months ago.
    When you want to control tap or tuner of the KPA with that switch you have to decide which CC is sent.

• I know the HD 500 well. Have sold mine 6 months ago.
    When you want to control tap or tuner of the KPA with that switch you have to decide which CC is sent.

Exactly.
    By the way there are several ways to have the tuner working.
    If you are using the HD in the KPA loop, just turn the loop on (by choosing the right stomp).
    If you are not using the HD as an fx unit, you can always connect the direct out to the HD input, turn down the volume pedal, and press tuner in the HD.

• Hello friends,
    I am using my HD500 as midi footswitch for my KemperAmp. The program number are hard coded from 1 to 64 in order to banks 1-16 and the switches ABCD. Everything works fine as long as I use only one setlist of the HD500. The problem begins when I switch to another setlist. The next setlist again begins with program number 1 and I found no way to assign another program number (for example 65).
    Is there any advice how I use all 128 midi program numbers ? ?(

• Hi,you can configure the midi Chanel of each preset pressing the system button and looking for the midi assign page there, I don't think you can configure all 128 channels into the same list on the PODHD, but 64 should be more than enough for live use tho :)

Kemper preset midi 1 = PODHD 1a
    Kemper preset midi 2 = PODHD 1b
    Kemper preset midi 3 = PODHD 1c
    Kemper preset midi 4 = PODHD 1d
    Kemper preset midi 5 = PODHD 2a
    And So on

• thanks thats clear..;-)
    The Question was how we can proceed after.....
    Kemper preset midi 61 = PODHD 16a
    Kemper preset midi 62 = PODHD 16b
    Kemper preset midi 63 = PODHD 16c
    Kemper preset midi 64 = PODHD 16d
    ... this is the number on the HD500 where the Setlist ends...
    If we load a new setlist it starts again with ...
    Kemper preset midi 1 = PODHD 1a
    Kemper preset midi 2 = PODHD 1b
    Kemper preset midi 3 = PODHD 1c
    Kemper preset midi 4 = PODHD 1d
    Kemper preset midi 5 = PODHD 2a
    should be possile to go on with...
    Kemper preset midi 65 = PODHD 1a
    Kemper preset midi 66= PODHD 1b
    Kemper preset midi 67= PODHD 1c
    Kemper preset midi 68= PODHD 1d
    Kemper preset midi 69= PODHD 2a
    .... and so on..
    any ideas to learn the HD500 a range for SETLIST 1 = from 1-64 and SETLIST 2 = 65 -128?????
    thx

• lippi,
    you could check (because I don't remember and don't have the HD 500 any more) if you can make one of the FS send a program change other than the hardwired one. I never tried this myself because I didn't need that many rigs.

hi, i tried it with "Program Change" and "Program number 065" ... and i tried it with "Bank Change" and "Bank Number 065"
    ... no success...
    The KPA just react with the hard coded Rig Numbers 001, 002, 003 etc. and not with my assigned numbers 065, 066, 067 etc..
    any ideas???... i tried it with the well working MIDI chanels "OMNI" on the KPA and "BASE" on the HD500.... even the setting "Channel 16" on both devices didn't change anything....
    any help?

• Hi,
    Your midi patch works fine. I just changed the tuner switch ti the Looper button because this is feasable to turn it on and off. the tapbutton is now just for tapping which is fine too.
    Now I just have problems that the WAH pedal sounds bad! Some settings seems to be wrong.. Any ideas? I also have problems with the KPA settings, I dont undersatand Pitch and Pedal range.... this settings doesnt make the sound better....

• I have tried to connect an expression pedal to the HD500, to let it work as a pedal two but i got no success to send any midi CC, even if i set the pedal 2 to control CC 7.
    It is a mission engineering, made for Line 6, which has been modified by me to let it work with the KPA.
    When i connect the EXP pedal to the KPA it works like a charm, when i connect it to the HD500 the green light next to Pedal 2 turns on, but it doesn't do anything.
    Any suggestion?

• Hi,
    Your midi patch works fine. I just changed the tuner switch ti the Looper button because this is feasable to turn it on and off. the tapbutton is now just for tapping which is fine too.
    Now I just have problems that the WAH pedal sounds bad! Some settings seems to be wrong.. Any ideas? I also have problems with the KPA settings, I dont undersatand Pitch and Pedal range.... this settings doesnt make the sound better....

For EVERYONE who have WahWah setting problems...
    I found Wah settings in another thread in the forum:
    #########################################
    For the WahWah effect:
    go to "System Settings"

go to ... Page 4
    set ...1: Expr. (Type 1) Wah Wah
    goto... Wah Wah Stomp Settings

set Page 1:
    ...Manual 3.5
    ...Peak 8.0
    ...Pedal Range + 27%
    ...Peak Range - 44%

Page 2:
    ...Mix 100%
    ...Volume + 5.0
    ...Pedal Mode Bypass @ Heel
    For the LowPass effect:

LOW PASS - Les Paul
    Manual...2.7
    Peak...0.0
    Pedal Range...+ 34%
    Peak Range...100%
    Mix...69%
    Volume...+ 0.1
    Heel Mode.

For the HighPass effect:

HIGH PASS - Tele
    Manual...2.0
    Peak...3.0
    Pedal Range...+38%
    Peak Range...100%
    Mix...75%
    Volume...+0.5
    Heel mode.
    ###################################################
    It works fine for me.... thanks to the guys.... see the Wah thread....

• HD500 MIDI control options to control the KPA (enhanced Documentation to GIBSON's doc above):

For all who churn from HD500 to KPA I recommend to keep the HD500 until the Kemper KPA foot contr5oller will be released late 2013 (my information from Kemper Customer support). Why? I will explain how you can use the HD500 in the meantime for your live an rehersal needs as a temporary foot controller for the KPA. Sorry for the HD300 and HD400 owners, this models don't support MIDI as I know from product pictures... at least there are no MIDI IN/OUT on the back.

First of all the HD500 allows you to operate in two different TYPE-modes. The first one TYPE1 is the described one in the thread fron GIBSON above, the "ABCD" mode. The second one TYPE2 is an more enhanced option (it depends on your needs) the Footswitch 1 to 8 mode which is called "FS5-FS8" mode which can be choosen in the setup menue of the HD500.
    This is also the first step.

In both modes the Footswitch (FS) 1-4, which is the upper row on the HD500, can be used to control 4 of the 8 KPA Stomps in the FX section of the KPA. The FS5-FS8 (the lower row) is used in TYPE1 as ABCD switch which sends hardcoded Program Changes(PC) 1 to 4 in the first bank "1a" and PC 5 to 8 in bank "1b"... and so on.... and in TYPE2 it can be used for free programming which means you can use it also for Stomp switching on the KPA. If you choose mode TYPE2 you have 8 Footswitches for 8 Stomps on the KPA :thumbup: Remember that all settings will be done with the "EDIT HD500" client software (which you can download on the Line6 website. You should use the Line6 Monkey to install and operate the drivers on your PC/mac environment) on the HD500 and NOT on the KPA!!!

Further enhancements to Gibson's thread:

1., I have decided to use the "Looper button" on the HD500 to use as the TUNER switch instead of the Tap button...just allocate CC#30 to the Looper switch on the HD500

2., I have decided to use the "TAP button" on the HD500 to use as the Tap button instead of the Tuner switch... just allocate CC#31 to the TAP button on the HD500.

3., The EXPRESSION 1 pedal is used for volume control

4., The EXPRESSION 2 pedal is used for control Stomp A on the KPA

OK... how to set the FS 1-4 and 5-8 to get the enhanced mode TYPE2:

I decided to use FS 1-4 (upper row) for the Stomp A, B, C, D. And i wanted to use the four more FS in th elower row for the Stomps X, Mod, Delay, Reverb on the KPA.

CC# allocation:

EXP pedal 2 = #1 Wah Pedal
    EXP pedal 1 = #7 Volume Pedal

FS 1 = #17 Stomp A on/off
    FS 2 = #18 Stomp B on/off
    FS 3 = #19 Stomp C on/off
    FS 4 = #20 Stomp D on/off
    FS 5 = #22 Stomp X on/off
    FS 6 = #24 Stomp MOD on/off

FS 7 = #26 Delay on/off (cuts tail)
    or
    FS 7 = #27 Delay on/off (keeps tail)

FS 8 = #28 Reverb on/off (cuts tail)
    or
    FS 8 = #29 Reverb on/off (keeps tail)

TAP = #30 Tap
    Looper = #31 Tuner

My recommendation:

Take the HD500 "Midi1.h5e" File from "Gibson' thread above and import it in a "New Tone" on your HD500.... be aware the preset must be new without any Amps and stomps... try to use an empty one from line6 (an original one)... Make the settings you want and than copy/paste it to all other 64 presets in your setlist...

I have two setlists. One for the TYPE1 and one for the TYPE2 mode. If you do the same just remember to switch also the Footswitch mode in the HD500 system settings if you switch between them. Both have advantages and it depends on your needs which one you prefer.

Type1: Easy and fast single step between the A, B, C, D (FS5-FS8) on the bottom row to change rigs on the KPA. But only 4 FS (FS1-FS4) to operate 8 (!) Stomps on the KPA. No problem if you use only 4 stomps for each rig, or you just have to switch max. 4 Stmps even if you have more active (somebody using a GATE on StompA which will not switched during the song)..

Type2: Access to all Stomps on the KPA! :thumbup: ..but each rig change needs two steps... First step on "bank up/down, second on one of the A, B, C, D (which is in that mode FS5-FS8) to choose the rig.

Don't forget to set the same Midi cannel on both devices. I tested it with OMNI on the KPA and BASE on the HD500. And to allocate the MIDI numbers to the Rigs on the KPA. You can use number 1-64 as MIDI numbers fro your rigs. Should be enough for a Gig ;)

Just connect the HD500 MidiOUT with one single MIDI cable (5pins) to the KPA MidiIN... and it will work!

Thats it :D

Have fun... now you can wait without any concerns until CK releases the KPA footcontroller with hopefully much more options for a better price than a used HD500 :thumbup:

lippi

• Hello lippi,

Do you have a problem with the state of the red LEDs on the HD in regards to their real on/off status in the KPA?

I can't seem to have them reflect the actual status in some cases. It's kind of a hit or miss. This means cannot rely visually on those red LEDs to tell me what is on and what is off.

Thanks.