HD500 as midi controller

• You must save them manually for each rig/preset. Hd edit is really usefull to do it.
    Anyway: did anybody manage to use the external expression pedal?

• Hi,

The first thing is to assign switchable Dummy devices to each of the HD footswitches. I used "Noise Gates".
    Then Set them all to "Off" as the Standard status.

You will not have a problem with the status if you set all values on the HD to "0".

If you use value "127" in some cases its indicating the value inverted.

Fact is: the KPA doesnt send stomp Status to the HD. So if you change Rig, all LEDs on HD are Off. If you Switch a stomp which IS actually on on the KPA the First step Switch on the LED on the HD and the Second will Switch the LED and the stomp Off.

If you Switch a Footswitch on the HD which IS off on the KPA it will be on AT the first step.

...I had a lot of equipment... but 2012 I got the KPA.... :)

• Thank you lippi,

I will have to seriously take time and figure this out when I come back home based on your instructions. Even though the POD HD is great for what it offers, it always has a way of infuriating me when I start to tweak with the settings.

• What you need to do is assign a POD fx to each foot switch on the HD500, (even though of course you won't hear it) that you want to control the fx on the KPA. Make sure you save the HD500 patch in the correct state, i.e, whether the effect is on or off on the HD500, depending on whether the effect is on or off on the KPA. This way the switch will light correctly when you turn on an effect in the KPA.

• Thanks Sash. I will try this out. Makes total sense.

Maybe it's just a strange karma between the HD and I but I always felt like I was never able to do anything meaningful with it that made sense or sounded good.

With your help guys, I will probably be able to do something else with the HD rather than having the constant urge of throwing it as hard and as far I can and see it fly. :cursing:X(

Luckily, this is not the case with my KPA, we are excellent buddies.

Cheers.

• I am going to go slow with the HD500 as controller. I have been using the HD500 for all my effects before my analog amps for quite some time. I have it all dialed in the way I want it. So, for now, I just want to use it to change profiles with patch changes, not control effects. In other words, I pick a patch in the HD500 and all it does in the Kemper is give me a different amp.

Is there a simple slick way of doing that?

• OK, Slick and Simple -

Slick:
    (in reference to the original question)

The POD manual tells how to set the MIDI out channel, and which MIDI program number is sent by 11,12,13 etc.

The Kemper manual tells how to assign MIDI program numbers to Rigs, and how to set the MIDI channel to match the one you select in the POD.

Simple:
    (in reference to flashing attitude because no took the time to suggest the the most productive approach is self-directed research on how to perform basic operations on your complicated gear)

RTFM

• Ok, I'm a midi idiot but I have programmed stuff before. I'm OK with the rig changes and my stomps are ok but I can't get the wah to work. I have it set up on CC 17 On Exp 1. (its in Stomp A). Last nite I had it switching but the wah stayed in a fixed position. I messed with exp toe settings but no luck changing it (using suggested wah settings in the KPA). Tried to get it to work tonite and now it's not even switching the wah on!

I detest midi programming and spent a ton of time on the HD before I got the KPA. The tone is awesome on the KPA but I'm going to tell you, this interface isn't as easy as people claim if you're trying to program it for live use (I'm not totally blaming it all on the HD yet).

Appreciate any help!

• Ok-got it to work on another patch- Exp 1 has to be on CC1 AND Exp Toe has to be on CC17 in toggle mode. Believe me I read all the manuals, posts, etc. & I never saw this spelled out - if I missed it, I apologize!

On another note, I'm an old guy, a former tube purist & gig a few times a month. Having owned a lot of the profiled amps, I'm really impressed with how close they sound and feel! Can't wait to use it live...

• Well done! I have mine set to automatically come on when I move the pedal, so I have the Stomp turned on in the Rig, with no separate switch assigned to turn the Stomp on and off from the MIDI controller.

It did take me awhile to get used to the idea I didn't need to push a button. But, that button could be used to turn a different effect on/off.

Take a look at the "How old are you?" survey. Plenty of grownups here, of all ages. (not that musicians ever really grow up...)

• Well done! I have mine set to automatically come on when I move the pedal, so I have the Stomp turned on in the Rig, with no separate switch assigned to turn the Stomp on and off from the MIDI controller.

It did take me awhile to get used to the idea I didn't need to push a button. But, that button could be used to turn a different effect on/off.

Take a look at the "How old are you?" survey. Plenty of grownups here, of all ages. (not that musicians ever really grow up...)

Paul- I'd like to give that a try- how do you set it to automatically come on? Thanks!

• Well thanks for that Paults. I'll be sure to mind my manners in the future. :)

I was asking for help here from the kind, experienced people on this forum so I wouldn't have to dig through the manuals when it would take someone who has done it half a minute to answer. And there is always the stuff you DON'T learn from the manuals that is often the time saver.

Regardless, I did plug it in and figure it out. It worked very well for my purposes. And not a big production like the AXEFX and Ground Control was back in the day when I was using that.

• Does anyone know a way to use the HD as a controller & still use the HD tuner?

I do it by running my guitar through the HD first. The patch I created has no amp/cab selected and has the mixer pushing all the signal to the left output which I plug into the KPA. I'm also using some of the effects on the HD and not only to control the KPA via midi.

Cheers,

jayson