interesting - FW update

• http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=132503

"Implemented “Multi-point Iterative Matching and Impedance Correction” technology
    (MIMIC, TM, Patent Applied For) to amp models. MIMIC applies analytic signals to
    an amplifier and captures the fine nuances of each amp at various points in the
    circuit and corrects each model vs. its theoretical implementation. In some
    cases the difference can be substantial, in other cases the difference is
    minimal. This depends on the layout of the amp and the various parasitics
    involved. MIMIC has the advantage of applying these corrections at the
    appropriate location in the amp model rather than as just an output EQ so that
    the various controls of the model behave virtually identically to the actual
    amp. For example, the Modern modes of a Dual Rectifier are highly sensitive to
    Master Volume with the tone becoming thicker as the MV is increased. MIMIC
    preserves this behavior rather than just getting louder as the Master Volume is
    increased."

• Same old, same old... every firmware update is much better than its predecessor. :rolleyes: They like to use flashy names and statements. Most likely they simply copied some KPA profiling functionality. There might be some copyright issues here. :whistling:

• It NOW sounds like the KEMPER!! And 11.0v will sound MORE like the KEMPER!!!

Seriously, I like Fractal stuff, but I'd be mega pissed if every time there was an OS update,
    my hours of tweaking went out the window as the tone materially was altered.

I get if there are slight alterations to fringe frequency artifacts, but altering basic tones? Thats borderline cruel.

Now if Chris could allow individual patches to stay legacy to earlier versions, that would at least be forgiving.
    But it's like Microsoft coming out with Windows 95, 2000, XP and 7 as upgrades all in one year. The program that worked in March is now broken in November. BLAH!

• The Axe does now indeed allow you to choose which firmware your use for amp modeling so you can avoid having to redial in things over and over again. While the language alludes to something Kemper like, its still very much all behind the scenes. In other words, it doesn't allow user "profiling". More power to Cliff and the Axe gain really, competition is a good thing. I'm happy for their customer base that the company continues to deliver for them just like CK and crew has been for us.

• The first thing that popped in my head (and it is not the 1st time) was the beginning of this ad. The 2nd guy (headphones) in the ad even reminds me to someone from somewhere else. :D

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Same old, same old... every firmware update is much better than its predecessor. :rolleyes: They like to use flashy names and statements. Most likely they simply copied some KPA profiling functionality. There might be some copyright issues here. :whistling:

Cliff likes to reinvent himself... each firmware has a new flashy feature (combined with a new flashy name) - he's desperately trying to copy the KPA in terms of realism...
    I always love how his new FW's are vastly improved (on paper) over the previous ones (but when the previous ones were released - they were "better" than the original tube amp!):

"Fixed a myriad of mistakes in the amp models..."
    (I love this part right here...) :D

His claims always reminds me of early 90s marketing techniques...

• I read it this way:

If you liked it before, then there is a possibility that you will not like this one, simply because it is different. If you like it better, then you have to admit that your ears got fooled previously, because this current release is clearly a significant step in the direction of a real amp sound, and older firmwares sounded nothing like a real tube amp.

:P

• I found it truely amazing that the owners enjoy the the destroyment of their patches with every new update.
    More interesting would be the announcement of the number III when FW 11 comes out. Good luck to them all!

• So he releases yet another new update for free, that people can use if they want, or leave it if they dont.
    How on earth can that be a bad thing?
    I agree that " Oh now it sounds even better" seems a bit off when you hear it for the 10th time, but seems to me that alot of KPA users here are pretty jalous that they dont get free improved updates. (Wrong written. Read post 27)
    And regarding to destroying your tones??? Isn't it your choise if you want new tones or not?
    Anyways i have both a KPA and an Axe II. Like them both, but would still welcome every single improvement from both sides.
    Not gonna flame someone for improving anythig. That is simply to low.

• So he releases yet another new update for free, that people can use if they want, or leave it if they dont.
    How on earth can that be a bad thing?
    I agree that " Oh now it sounds even better" seems a bit off when you hear it for the 10th time, but seems to me that alot of KPA users here are pretty jalous that they dont get free improved updates.
    And regarding to destroying your tones??? Isn't it your choise if you want new tones or not?
    Anyways i have both a KPA and an Axe II. Like them both, but would still welcome every single improvement from both sides.
    Not gonna flame someone for improving anythig. That is simply to low.

+1 i have both and i have no problem with either products enhancements, its totally down to choice to upgrade or buy the product in the first place

Considering what i have shelved out for these 2 units i would expect total firmware enhancements a welcome

• I think the point is that while AFX owners are in their right to enjoy the frequent firmware updates, for my part, as a KPA owner, I enjoy the fact that I don't feel the need anymore for "realer" amp tones which is "the" big difference for me! Now what I want from a firmware update is just more FX goody's etc...

• @ the new guys here: the point is, that according to Mr. Chase the KPA is intrinsicly inferior to the Axe-fz (for the amp part). He has made any effort to bash the KPA since it started taking market share. But, at the same time, he's started since then to modify the Axe engine to make it behave more like a KPA. Practically, every improvement since the KPA is out has moved along the profiling line.

As for KPA users not getting free updates... Are you kidding?!

Last point: it's true that any user is free to update or not. But usually new FWs bring many new functions with them. Deciding to not update means missing them all, and in fact giving up the concept of 'frequent free upgrades' itself.

• I guess some are more paranoid then others.
    I am still happy with both units and ANY new update, no matter how fast it arrives.
    And exept from tonematching in FW 6, what other features made it " more like a KPA"?
    That is really just BS IMO.
    Regarding your last point. I have been through every update since 3. something, and it NEVER changed my tone to more then 2 min tweaking would give back.