Edited Backup Restore does not work correctly - anyone else

• Hi all!

As suggested I use 7zip to unpack the Kemper backups - then I delete the rigs I don´t want anymore and re-pack it as a *tar file.
    I rename the file into *.kpabackup and copy this file to my USB stick.
    The KPA does a complete restore, reboots and then....."Initialised Rig" is all that can be seen on the screen and not ONE rig can be selected.

My process faulty? Any one else has this issue and mastered it?

Your help is highly appreciated!

;)

Cheers

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you´ve got it made!
    Groucho Marx

• Check if you have a rig filter selected (view by Favourites or similar). Double check the content of the .backup file you want to restore.
    If you like you can send me the file and I'll check it...

Edit: I did that tens of times without issues...

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Check if you have a rig filter selected (view by Favourites or similar). Double check the content of the .backup file you want to restore.
    If you like you can send me the file and I'll check it...

Edit: I did that tens of times without issues...

No rig filter active and every rig within the backup is between 4KB and 3,8KB big - should be ok!

Update: I did a complete system reset and imported the factory rigs.
    Made a backup and repated my editing procedure: deleted 50 rigs or so - restored it and.....same thing: "Initialised Rig" - you can hear the guitar clean and the backup I made then is completely empty (well at least that is consistant :))

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you´ve got it made!
    Groucho Marx

Edited once, last by Berglmir ().

• Check your PM and the content of the USB Key

Thanks again for your quick support

- unfortunately this means something is wrong on my end, because I ALWAYS have just one backup file in the USB folder.
    Well - time to write Burkhard a mail

:S

Groucho Marx

• I've had the same problem too, my guess is that the KPA generates some sort of checksum for the backup file so tampering with it will invalidate that checksum and prevent the backup from being restored, correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

• I've had the same problem too, my guess is that the KPA generates some sort of checksum for the backup file so tampering with it will invalidate that checksum and prevent the backup from being restored, correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

No, it doesn't. If you're manipulating the archive, make sure that you keep the directory structure intact and at the same level. Restore Factory Rigs and create a backup, then compare the structure of this and your other backup file.

Timo

• Found the problem: when you've unpacked the .tar file you have created a folder with the tree structure in it. You must re-pack only the tree structure, not the folder that contains it.
    Thanks to Timo for the hint, I've not noticed it at the moment

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• You can also work in the 7zip-file-manager without unpacking the Backup (right-click on backup, select "open with ..." and choose 7zip fm). No repack needed. Works fine for me so far. 8)

• Same here with the Total Commander: when I double click on the backup file it opens just like any other folder. After I did my editing there (deleting rigs, copying rigs ...) I leave the backup file again like any other folder, no repacking. And it loads fine in the Kemp.

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• Good lord - pure stupidity on my part!! :wacko:
    I knew I could do this in the past and obviously knew then what I was doing!

Of course your hints work perfectly anbd I´m sorry to have wasted your time!

Thanks all for your support!

Cheers!!

;)

Groucho Marx

• Don't worry - you're welcome.
    ;)