Connecting Kemper to Yamaha DXR12 powered speaker

• Hey guys, I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a new Kemper and the Yamaha DXR12 powered speaker but a very noob-ish question here on connections. I was assuming I would do the Left Main XLR out on the Kemper to the XLR input on the speaker. This is how I connected my Axe Ultra when I had it to a K12. OR, should I be connecting the Left 1/4 Main out of the Kemper to the Yamaha 1/4 in, OR the 1/4 Monitor Output on the Kemper to the Yamaha 1/4 in? And, if I should be doing either of the 1/4 options, should I be using a guitar cable or a speaker cable (like from a tube amp to cab)? Thanks guys, and I'm sorry for the rather easy question here!

• In any case a normal instrument cable. All what you said is valid and would make no difference. The way I do it i send XLR main outs in stereo to FOH and use the monitor out for my monitor in mono. This way I have separate eq for both signals.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Ok, good to know. I should have mentioned that this would be for playing at home mainly, but certainly good to know the best way to handle a live situation where you have control over your own monitoring vs. FOH having total control.

• You will not be disapointed with the kemper and DXR12's they are awesome I use two live for my kemper and have falling in love with them pure quality :thumbup:

Great to hear! They've got stellar reviews and great I/O options which is a huge + in my book. How do you hook yours up to the Kemper? Also, you have the mic/line switch set to line right? D-contour switch to monitor? And HPF to off?

• Great to hear! They've got stellar reviews and great I/O options which is a huge + in my book. How do you hook yours up to the Kemper? Also, you have the mic/line switch set to line right? D-contour switch to monitor? And HPF to off?

I come out of the main outs in to FOH and out of the monitor out into the DXR I then come out of the link on that DXR to the other DXR. Switch wise D contour set to monitor, mic/line set to line and HPF off these are so clear and loud

• I come out of the main outs in to FOH and out of the monitor out into the DXR I then come out of the link on that DXR to the other DXR. Switch wise D contour set to monitor, mic/line set to line and HPF off these are so clear and loud

Awesome, thanks! Oh and.....I ordered both today!!

• Raoul, do you ever put them up on speaker poles when jamming with the band or playing live? Or do you always leave them on the floor as monitors? Just wondering if I may need to invest in a pole to put the speaker on for playing with the band or if leaving it on the floor is good enough to be heard.

• Raoul, do you ever put them up on speaker poles when jamming with the band or playing live? Or do you always leave them on the floor as monitors? Just wondering if I may need to invest in a pole to put the speaker on for playing with the band or if leaving it on the floor is good enough to be heard.

Trust me you will not need any poles these things are very very loud. My band has a reputation for being extremely loud, which is due to our drummer who hits the drums harder than I've ever know anyone to hit them. I use these as monitors all the time the kemper is on about -15db and the DXR's are one half volume. You will be a very happy camper trust me!!!!!!

• Trust me you will not need any poles these things are very very loud. My band has a reputation for being extremely loud, which is due to our drummer who hits the drums harder than I've ever know anyone to hit them. I use these as monitors all the time the kemper is on about -15db and the DXR's are one half volume. You will be a very happy camper trust me!!!!!!

Excellent! Stalking my email inbox right now for my shipping confirmation, hahaha!

• My question.....is one of these enough for a band situation? I'm between these, the EV ELX120P or the Mackie HD1221 which I am leaning towards. So tough to make a choice.....

• Raoul23 : I have read a few posts from you through this forum, where you mention how happy you are with the Yamahas... this is great to know, glad you found happiness with your sound! :thumbup:

I am currently considering going FRFR. I play in a loud, good ol' classic heavy metal band, where the bass player and the drummer play ridiculously loud, and I wonder if a pair of these would be enough volume wise. I would be looking for volume, definition and great mids.

So my question, in my situation, do you think these would be good for me? Also, may I ask the kind of band situation/musical style you are using these in?

All the best,

- ben

• Hi Ben

I defo think 2 of these would be loud enough I play in a rock band that does stuff like Nickelback, guns and roses etc and we are way loud. Even when I go in the local music shop all the staff say we are the loudest band they have heard. The drummer in my band is crazy loud. Before I had the kemper I used a Line 6 vetta head with a 4x12 this always sounded great untill I got the kemper. I had the line 6 for 11 years but it was never as clear as the kemper is. Tone wise it blows the vetta out of the window. I'm not even pushing the DXR's really and they are very loud. So I give them a very big thumbs up!!!!!!

• Hi Ben

I defo think 2 of these would be loud enough I play in a rock band that does stuff like Nickelback, guns and roses etc and we are way loud. Even when I go in the local music shop all the staff say we are the loudest band they have heard. The drummer in my band is crazy loud. Before I had the kemper I used a Line 6 vetta head with a 4x12 this always sounded great untill I got the kemper. I had the line 6 for 11 years but it was never as clear as the kemper is. Tone wise it blows the vetta out of the window. I'm not even pushing the DXR's really and they are very loud. So I give them a very big thumbs up!!!!!!

Raoul23, thanks for your kind reply! I will definitely have a look at the Yamahas! :thumbup:

• Raoul, which rigs are you using for your distorted rhythm and lead tones with your yamahas? Would love to try them.

I have brought loads from the amp factory (amp pack 2) and some single ones. I'm to lazy to profile my own plus I'd never get them to sound as good as Andy44 does. They are worth the money a 1000 times over. For my rhythm and lead I use the triple rect and clean I use the 2 rock. Killer tones !!!!!

• Well, yesterday my Yamaha DXR 10 arrived.
    Bought it on the good recommendation here and needed an all- purpose monitor anyway.
    I went for the 10 because of its smaller footprint.

Checked the thing yesterday and boy, it's loud.
    At the same time it's very accurate playing different KPA rigs over it, as well with different material I feed it, incl. my IPod.

I am so pleased and pleasantly surprised that I will take it out for today's gig as my KPA backline (3 bands, big PA).
    Will report back how it works out.