cabdriver

• If i understood CK correctly the cabdriver is active in 2 situations:

1. On the monitor out when the "cabs off" option is enabled.
    2. On all outputs (also SPDIF) if the cab block itself is turned off.

Since you cannot turn the cadriver off or on when the cab block is disabled this might have an impact on the signal chain. For example i did some tests by deactivating the cab section in order to use the IR cabs on my DAW. CK said that due to the cadriver being active in that situation the results might get impacted by this.

• But what is exactly the cabdriver?

It´s some mechanism that takes some of the caracteristics of the power amp and the speakers of the cab section of a profile and adds those to the sound when the cab section itself is turned off.

In the early firmware versions before the cabdriver function you could have some problems when using the monitor out with "cabs off" when driving guitar speakers. This mode uses the internal separation between the amp and the cab section and strips off the cab part. However it became obvious that the many different profiled amps and speakers had very different aspects of that separation concerning the eq balance. In some cases the amp portion of a rig sounded rather bright while the cab portion sounded mellow or vice versa. When played together over the studio outs this won´t matter as both portions are summed up. But when using only the amp portion of a rig, those differences really messed up the tonal balance of many profiles.

The cabdriver feature seems to create that tonal balance on the monitor out by using some information of the cab section of a profile in order to alter the eq curve on the monitor out.

• To the OP: do sou hear the difference using the analog outs? If not then check on the Master (Output for the black one) menu what signal you're sending to the SPDIF out.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• It´s some mechanism that takes some of the caracteristics of the power amp and the speakers of the cab section of a profile and adds those to the sound when the cab section itself is turned off.

In the early firmware versions before the cabdriver function you could have some problems when using the monitor out with "cabs off" when driving guitar speakers. This mode uses the internal separation between the amp and the cab section and strips off the cab part. However it became obvious that the many different profiled amps and speakers had very different aspects of that separation concerning the eq balance. In some cases the amp portion of a rig sounded rather bright while the cab portion sounded mellow or vice versa. When played together over the studio outs this won´t matter as both portions are summed up. But when using only the amp portion of a rig, those differences really messed up the tonal balance of many profiles.

The cabdriver feature seems to create that tonal balance on the monitor out by using some information of the cab section of a profile in order to alter the eq curve on the monitor out.

Ok thanks.
    I get the point now. :)