Who has a Palmer PDI-03?

• I'm sure sheguitarplayer used one to make Profiles?

Anyone else have one, or an older version?

I'm having a discussion with someone who reckons it sounds incredible "live" direct to the PA.
    So I'm thinking, I'd like some Profiles of the Palmer with various OD/Distortion pedals in front of it...is that possible?

I'm having a discussion with someone who reckons it sounds incredible "live" direct to the PA.
    So I'm thinking, I'd like some Profiles of the Palmer with various OD/Distortion pedals in front of it...is that possible?

Well, a few years ago when convolution speaker emulations were new, i put much interest in all those software and hardware simulators. In fact i listened through loads of comparison clips. While i liked the Palmer better than the Redbox, i did not like it better than the Behringer GI-100. However, imo compared to convolution software emulators or even state of the art devices like the KPA, all those devices fail completely. It´s the high mid frequencies which always sound somehow lifeless and dull to me.

In a live situation they will probabaly sound better than a badly miked cab, but they are not "incredible". The only thing that´s cool about the PDI-03 is the integrated loadbox.

• The only thing that´s cool about the PDI-03 is the integrated loadbox.

I once thested the loadbox of the Palmer PGA04 and it was stunning how dull and flat it sounds compared to a Weber dummy speaker. (I am talking of the dummy speakers (at the bottom of the page), not the MASS attenuators!) Take any old speaker, cut out the membrane and you have a better loadbox than the PDI-03.

In my latest profiling sessions, at the end we wanted to try a profile with a Palmer PDI-09 just for the fun of it. It was a very short test: against all the possibilities of the KPA cabs it just sounds boring and odd.

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

The black keys use them live, but I found mine just too dry sounding, I think they are a useful tool, but why would you want one if you have a kpa, the just don't compare at all... here is the best reviewer I foind, I asked paler to send him the pdi04 to compare, and they did and he made this video :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nviQ3lr980w

Leg em down and yackem smackem