In Search of the Holy Grail, Part II (Smokin' Joe B.)

• Have just watched the Borderline and Apollo blu rays, thought they were both great in different ways, the Borderline feels raw with just a trio playing and personally I really liked it especially Are you Experienced by Hendrix at the end.
    The Apollo I thought was just awesome, the band seemed on fire, I thought on the night they were really going for it but watching it back now I reckon it is the best I have seen Joe and the band on any of the videos. There is also some really good versions of his songs on there, with some nice bits added in, I especially liked the Still of the Night breakdown in Just Got Paid.
    Anyway to sum up a BIG :thumbup: from me

• From what i have seen on youtube, the Apollo sessions seem to be very good indeed. I am saving the money right now ... :rolleyes:
    As i confess openly: i do not like the direction Joe chose in 2007. I LOVE his trio! Unfortunately this trio had little or no rehearsal time.
    Nevertheless, from what i see on youtube, i would definitively check this out.
    And for the new setup of JB a big wow! 8o Has he finally "convinced" his two friends he mentioned in the liner notes of "driving" to sell their dumbles.
    Great news for me. Marshalls alone without a fender/dumble style is not so interesting to me. But it is not sure Joe will bring the Dumbles with him to Europe.
    Don't be disappointed if he does not bring them, lightbox!

Where are the DSLs (Joe has used in BCC) on the Rig Exchange, cannot find them???!

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

Edited once, last by Geraldo7 ().

• I received my second DVD today. The trio session, first night of JB's marathon.
    "de gustibus non est disputandum", lightbox. as i have to say almost the contrary: Plus points are - among others

• Joe loose and in the best mood in years.
    • Let it rock! Freak it!
    • Joe FINALLY sometimes on a strat, like in those old golden days of 2005.
    • JB does not wear smoking.
    • While the bass player is not Mr. Sunshine, he is a shredder, plays fingerstyle the classic way and is well prepared for the gig
    • the drummer is not as good as kenny kramme, but puts a lot of effort in it.
    • A nice visit to the past

I liked this so much! JB uses various guitars, changes a lot between stratocasters and LPs. Uses clean(!!!!) silver jubilees and a lot of his effect board, including
    ofcourse his beloved TS.

cheers

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

• I have watched now the 30 minutes+ film of DVD 2 of the borderline set.
    oops, it is full of surprises! even for a joe addict like me.

• did you know that the manager of JB is with him for more than 20 years?
    • did you know that bruce shirley picked the two musicians for the trio show?
    • did you know that the drummer is one of the studio pros of the planet?
    • did you know that JB seriously regrets having said yes to this shirley idea? (if you can read between joe's lines, ofcourse, he is a master diplomat)
    • and on and on ... it goes, check the film out when possible
    • did i say that he uses two two silver jubilees, a TS and an old korg effect board (!)

• Long time - no see. And now Mister GAS himself gets rid of his most "most expensive switching system in the world"
    (although i think Musik Produktiv has it, you can test there 50 amps with 20 speakers with a simple click on a double foot switch)
    and plays fender combos exclusively and sounds like someone else totally. 8o {spoiler: irony at work} watch here on 0:30 and so on ...
    musicianship is overrated, really. ;)

someone in the know - just curious - which fender rig would suit my bonamassa epiphone best?? thx

• Hey
    Big fan of JB here (tone and playing).
    I almost thought I would get banned from this forum for mentioning his name in half of my posts lol. But I guess I'm fine in this thread :)
    Thanks Geraldo for the video link to his new rig. Even with fenders, he sounds great, but I've got to say I prefer his Marshall setup.
    Some of my favorite rigs to try and get closer to his tones are some of Mbritt Marshalls, and Strangely enough Rmpacheco Morgan AC20 with added gain. (sounds fat and detailed at the same time).
    I think the Lead Booster is also a good choice for a JB tone, as it seems to emphasize the mids and make your guitar stand out in the mix.
    I'm still looking for the perfect rig though (I've tried thousands lol).
    I think his Eric Johnson tone is really hard to reproduce, like in this video at 5.35

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I might go to the studio one day and make profiles of dual amps
    Later
    Matt

• cool, Matt!

nice info. i have seen him live with the legendary 4 amp setup, 2 mars jubilees, one category 5 and a van weelden twinkleland and i havent heard sth
    like this before or after, mind blowing, although i even prefer his older days and the power trio musically, cheers

ps. if you can reamp you could use a fender-style amp and a mars-style amp at the same time like suggested on JB's homepage ...

Edited once, last by Geraldo7 ().

• Guys did you try the MN Van Weelden Twinkleland, Joe Bonamassa
    "Stop!"

I have tried to convince three pro profilers to get one, to no avail. i saw Joe live with it and this sparkle, this power, this little something was fantastic.
    i hope that somebody someday will profile this one, Mats' is good, but was done way before DI and merged profiles.

• I am a big fan of the trio of JB. In fact, i have never become a fan of his later works as much so.

So here is proof that this new record could be as heavy groovin as in the old days. Looking forward to march ...

(Give JB a 150 $ combo and he will sound like Joe anyway)