In Search of the Holy Grail, Part II (Smokin' Joe B.)

• In Search of the Holy Grail Tone of Joe Bonamassa

Here we go, folks, Part two of the search of legendary tones. maybe you can help me here a little bit.
    As i have told you before, i have stumbled over the tone of satriani by coincidence and while i am satisfied
    with summer night (see Part I) it was not my intention at all to find joe`s tone.
    instead i want the sound of smokin joe bonamassa! i have tried to play his version of FREE's Heartbreaker
    and achieved satisfying results with British 800 Grit Lo {by Kemper Co. himself} with a higher gain.
    i have played "Bridge to better Days" with excellent results with my own rig, the cream JTA-45 (you can find it in the
    download section), but only with the "real" amp, miked in my room. the profile seems to lack a lot of punch here.
    Do you have any suggestions for an even better bonamassa tone? i really love this guy!

thanks

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

Edited once, last by Geraldo7 ().

• I've got some very good result tweaking the S.Mehl from the factory presets. I think the starting point was the Rig "Talk to Me". I'm using a LP with Burstbuckers and that helps as well... :thumbup:

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Hi Geraldo,
    if it can be helpful, I try to match two tones for Joe Bonamassa... while I have serious problem in matching his magic hands ... but that's another thing 8|

On the first one I started from Trainwreck profile (from the Amp Factory) and this is the result:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5l3pZZzYM0

On the second one I try to match this solo tone using CREAM JT45 FREE profile (solo starting from 2:28, listen because it is a fantastic minute!) ...I got very close to this sound, I can post the RIG in this case, it's free...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tNhGTlQwiY

On both I used a Les Paul with Burstbucker, like Guitarnet. I will try also the S.Mehl Amp later...

EDIT: this is the link for the LIVE setting of Bonamassa with Delay, using the CREAM profile by Geraldo!
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/568398…013-03-04%2023-49-06.kipr

• now this IS funny. maurizio memyselfandI aka Geraldo has posted the cream profile
    and yes it is good and even better because troynova tweaked it :) :) :)

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

• "now this IS funny. maurizio memyselfandI aka Geraldo has posted the cream profile"

lol !

By the way, Geraldo , activate your Private Mail please, I could'nt thank you enough for that incredible CREAM JTA45 profile (my number one profile)

Do you plan making other profiles out of this amazing amp ?

• i have got it, folks

I DO HAVE ONE OF JOE's MAGIC TONES 8o :love:
    and i am going to share it :rolleyes:

just wait a little bit longer until my registration birthday on wednesday :S

no kiddin'

• i have a short sample of my cream profile here. joe and band on the left, me on the right,
    does that sound okay? or am i right or am i right or am i right? (groundhog day, best film ever)
    but sounds awfull on the laptop.

• Nice Playing, Geraldo :)
    I think you pretty much did the Marshall Silver Jubilee part, this great fat body of his guitar sound. But sadly the Van Weelden Twinkleland (or Carol Ann, depending on the song) part is still missing and that's the icing on the cake, the glossy shiny top end of his amazing sound. I think Joe is really hard to copy without a second rig (which currently means a second KPA or some re-amping).

Not sure if you know this particular video, especially from 3:30 on. It demonstrates very well, how both amps combine:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• (solo starting from 2:28, listen because it is a fantastic minute!)

That is one nice solo, just a nice slow rhythm going then Joe plays a ripping guitar solo that is just perfect for the song. thanks

The Kemper Profiling Amp is the best musical invention since the Electric Guitar and the Marshall Amp .

Edited once, last by Laker ().

• NOW we are talking business, lightbox :)

thank you for your link to the vid. (is this a nice guy, or is this a nice guy, or is this a nice guy??? what a differerence
    to the ego-inflated "stars" of the 70ies)

lightbox, your posts usually are noBS, well informed and full of information and this is no exception ...

...the glossy shiny top end of his amazing sound

... is still missing. correct! 100% correct. the video is as informative as can be, i know joe 's music for a long time,
    and his equip has changed quite a few times over the years, but this setting seems to be the recent one with the tone
    of the actual cds. (with one exception, ofcourse. have u checked his latest collaboration with his drummer? hilarious!
    hilarious. it is called rock candy funk party. i was raised with milk and jazz-rock and this record, ah, listen to it yourself).
    could you then be so polite and post your profiles of the other amp, preferably pleasepleasepleeeeeze the vanwelden?
    i am sure you will get as many beers in frankfurt as you want to, if you do. 8o 8o :D 8) :) :)
    btw: the other amp standing on the marshall jubilee amp (why not silver???) is not a carol ann, but a
    category 5 custom made amp as you can see on this website in the signature section. this seems to be a jtm-45 clone and
    therefore i think that the van welden is responsible for all of this "icing on the cake".
    anyway, if you profile this amp for us, you will be rewarded with a crate of beer in FFM. 8)

reamping has to wait a little, because i don't have the money right now for a new soundcard and the SPDIF cables. but i can
    play this part a hundred times on another second track with another profile. in fact i can play this again and again until the doctor arrives :D
    but i need the profiles of the vanwelden and category 5 ASAP.

kidding aside, who has them, who owns them, what does he want? dollars, pounds, euro or paypal, where, when and how?

cheers, and thanks for your comments

• Hi Geraldo,

the Category 5 isn't part of the particular sound you're trying to achieve (High Water Everywhere). He usually combines his Marshall Silver Jubilee with either a Van Weelden Twinkleland or a Carol Ann. The latter is placed on the left side of his rig instead of the second Van Weelden sometimes. There's a nice Carol Ann OD2 in Andy's (TAF) first amp collection, and it can be bought individually. It's not the more powerful JB-100 custom built for Joe and it's not the downsized TX-50 either. But it's a good start for sure.

Here's the Carol Ann in action without the Marshall fatness so you can enjoy the singing beauty of a Carol Ann. :)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• by the way, i have got an issue with videos on you tube. the laptop f&$(?(s up every third time and has to be restarted, but i knew
    this song anyway, so thanks for this. the carol ann has a beautiful tone, but do you think this "glossy..." comes from this amp or not
    from the van welden? anyway, does anybody know where to buy a profile of a vanwelden or a category5?
    and i forgot where to find andi44's site, because i want to check this one also, ofcourse :thumbup:

• Hi Geraldo! i love Joe bonamassa´s Tone too ! Besides the Marshall Jubilee he uses often Caroll Ann . . and surprise a Superdrive 80 Budda ! I have got a DVD where he explains his setup, amps, effects, and he tells the budda gives him a fender nice hollow sound . The thing with Joe bonamassa Setup is that he always uses 2 amps, one usually clean and the other one with overdrive , (this is Eric johnson style, and if you notice Joe loves EJ tone , he told already on a interview) . There is a pedal i wanna buy someday that is an overdrive he uses , called pork loin from dunlop, the pedal gives you a clean sound and OD mixed . JB loves clarity in his notes! Besides that he uses 59´PAFS , and he likes to change Tone directlly on the guitar . Dont forget JB changes Setup often , so there are different periods .

Regards

• this Caroll-Ann OD2 – 12 Profiles by the amp factory. it is tempting. i listened to it 4 times now. maybe it is time to buy
    my first professional profile. hmmm :S :D

• i have bought a unbelievable versatile profile !! thank you lightbox!
    i have re-recorded the track with two profiles now. hope i am getting closer?? listen here

• You're getting closer, of course. :)
    Your recording still sounds a bit muddy, even the left channel (Bonamassa). So I'm not sure if it's a recording issue. Try to squeeze a little bit more brilliance out of your dual amp tone. I know it's difficult because you can't tweak while playing the combined profiles. My wild guess is: just a little bit more gain and just a micro-dose more treble for the Carol Ann, a bit less gain and more presence for the Marshall.

Not sure if this will work out for you, but that's what I hear from your mp3. But it's already much better than before. :)