How can I match eq an existing profile to an album tone?

• I know it's possible since I've seen profiles like this.

I tried doing this with Ozones match eq, by first recording a bit of the riff I'm trying to match, then created the match eq curve in Ozone, then profiled this eq curve and saved it as a cab, but it's just not there. It's way too much of a DI cab emulator sounding to be useful, obviously because I can't have both the cab profile I used for the match eq, and this new one, on at the same time.

Any tips on how to do this?

Let's say, I'm trying to get the new Kreator album tone. I know they used a mix of the EVH head and an Engl of some sort. There's a soloed rhythm guitar on the title track so that part is easy.

• The problem is the cabdriver wont work that way (just with the monitor out)

• I'm not sure what you are saying. Did you eq match your guitar riff to the actual guitar riff you are trying to match? Once you do this and create the eq curve then you have to run the mic back through the daw with the eq match and assign the output back to the kemper return by running a cable from the interface to the return of the kemper.

I think you can still eq match the album. Just match your riff with the isolated guitar riff then save the eq. Now play the whole song and use that eq match on it via vst.

Edited once, last by jeddie ().

• I was trying to figure if it's possible to do this by finetuning an existing profile with the match eq, but I guess that's not possible.

So I guess my options are either profile an actual amp with the match eq on the track in the daw, or just create the match eq curve and try to copy that as well as I can to the studio eq on the KPA.

I
    think you can still eq match the album. Just match your riff with the
    isolated guitar riff then save the eq. Now play the whole song and use
    that eq match on it via vst.

Yes, I know how to eq match inside the daw. I'm trying to create a profile that I can carry around inside the KPA. :)

• Here's how you would do it:

Choose a profile close to the gain of the source
    Record the part with the KPA but the cab disabled
    Tone match with Ozone and create an IR
    Transform the IR into a KPA cab with CabMaker
    Load the cab

• Yeah I thought of that as well. I'll have to give that way a go.

The Legion Profile is on the exchange.

The way I detailed is how users did tone matching with the Axe FX prior to having the tone matching feature. The full profiling of the KPA isn't the right tool for this type for job.

• Unless you are recording a similar arrangement, with similar sounding drums and bass, I don't think you really would have a use for an exact match. The EQ on the recording is not the same as what the guitarist heard while it was being played.

Find something similar, tweak the knobs at little to suit your playback system. And, PLAY!

:)

I personally have no desire to tone match either, but many like to do it. More power to them. For those that do, they use isolated tracks or a portion of a song in which the guitar is soloed. You can not tone match to a full mix down. The goal for these folks is to get the end polished tones rather than the rawer starting point.

• The reason I do tone matching is to learn how the track was eq'd. And just for the fun of it of course.

I'd never use a tone matched tone for recording, unless I want to record a cover song just for fun or something.

Huh. Never thought of it that way. How does it teach you about EQ processing versus mic placement/distance or pre coloration? Just in terms of general EQ shapes?

• Yup, already tried it but now I'm running to a problem of "no external amp or volume is too low" error, even with the track volume maxed to +12 dB, and the track meter going into red.

EDIT: Just realized I should've adjusted the return level, d'oh.

Same problem here!
    Already tried to adjust the return level but it starts to profile then stop and show the message.

How did You solved?