Clean Profiles v Distorted Profiles

• I've had the KPA for awhile now and i love it to bits!

However, i always have this problem. My KPA is connected to a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and out to HM50s. Keeping Master Volume on the KPA constant and all volumes on the Focusrite constant, using the same guitar, there always seems to be a huge difference in volume between distorted and clean profiles (well, most clean profiles).

Raising the Clean Sense or the rig Volume or the cab Volume of a clean profile (to match that of a separate distorted) profile would usually clip the signal (shown on the Focusrite 2i2).

Do you guys experience this? Any tips to match volumes of Clean and Distorted profiles?

• If you can't set the clean-sense higher - what about lowering the distortion-sense below zero?
    It accomplishes pretty much the same - both clean and distorted rigs at the same volume level and no clipping.

• the problem here is the higher perceived volume of distorted sound (since they are heavily compressed/limited) versus the higher peak levels of clean sounds: greater dynamic range, transients are not limited and at the same time lower perceived volume.

clean sounds tend to have most of their energy in the attack, which lasts only a millisecond or so.
    the profiler has a few neat options to dial down the attack:

- turn up the gain just a bit until the attacks soften/melt
    - use the Pick parameter (obviously in the negative range)
    - use the compressor in the Amplifier section
    - put a Soft Shaper post Stack and use it as a saturator (very low drive setting)

• Very cool idea with the soft-shaper, Don. Thanks!
    It's a bit hard to get good usage ideas for the stranger ideas within the KPA.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• Just use the amp compressor and you will be fine...

Hi,

About this Amp Compressor ... I somehow don't have any luck in dialing a good setting on it. Perhaps you may advise the proper way of using it.

My initial impression is to use this function to compensate the "loudness" of a cleaner tone when I roll down my guitar volume for a gainy amp setting (ie gain around 6 or 7) .. Most time when i roll down the guitar vol, I do not get a cleaner tone, it just simply lower the volume with the "dirt" sounding still pretty prominent. If i were to increase the amp compressor above 5, it sounds awful. I may be missing something here ... What I am trying to achieve here is to able to roll down the volume of my guitar to get a "cleaner" tone when running a gainy amp setting. Any hint?

• ... What I am trying to achieve here is to able to roll down the volume of my guitar to get a "cleaner" tone when running a gainy amp setting. Any hint?

no hint needed, that's how it works. roll down volume and the amp cleans up. works for me from lipstick singlecoils all the way to EMGs.

do you have a compressor in front?
    what's your distortion sense value / pickups?

• no hint needed, that's how it works. roll down volume and the amp cleans up. works for me from lipstick singlecoils all the way to EMGs.

do you have a compressor in front?
    what's your distortion sense value / pickups?

The profile Im using its from the rig exchange: "JP Extreme"
    No compressor in front.. (In fact nothing in front)
    Both Clean/ Dist sense @ 0 value
    However, my noise gate is at value 5
    Amp Comp & Pick at 0 value
    Pickups: D'marzio Evolution
    Gain at 7 btw ...

• wiKPA'ed :thumbup: