use GR55 with KEMPER

• Hi, if anybody wants to play GR55 together with Kemper:

A - connect your guitar to input of Kemper
    B - connect Kemper from direct out/send back to GK3 on your guitar..
    C - from GK3 usual connection to GR55 via GK cable..
    D - from GR55 and Kemper I go directly into powered amp monitors for instance KRK VXT4
    E - play and enjoy this incredible combination :D

I se

arched a lot through web regarding how connect the GR55 and Kemper.. I have found some interesting hints also here in forum.. but this idea I got today while waiting on the dentist I find the simplest.. when came home and connected it like this I discovered that it works and I am full of joy.. excuse my english if not correct.. :-)))))))))

ps: the only inconvenient I find is the fact that from my guitar are running 3 guitar cables instantly, hehe.. :)

• Pretty clever -- I don't think I've seen anyone suggest that routing before. So you run 3 cables to your guitar? Maybe you could do something with a stereo cable to condense the two instrument cables if that's uncomfortable.

• Why aren't you feeding the Kemper with the guitar out of the GR-55, so then you only need 1 cable connection(13 pin) out of your guitar... did you notice any difference in tone?

• The GR55 guitar out is unsuitable for feeding any amp with more than moderate gain due the noise levels generated from a poor design. Better results can be had by turning off the amp modelling and using the main outputs to the KPA loop input....neither method is ideal.

bd

• Maybe this quotation from the wiKPA could be of help:

PS: sorry for the crappy formatting, it was not me :D

• ^^Pretty sure all of that quoted above from the 'wiki' was written and posted by Musicman65(BD). I think he's tried just about every permutation of GR55/KPA setup. Going into the KPA post effects definitely yields the best results.

• I use the method of guitar out direct to Kemper
    GK output in to Roland
    L/R outs from Roland into Alt/Return inputs on Kemper
    Midi out from Roland to MIDI in on Kemper

With this method, the Roland is always on- or you can use the FX loop to override and insert the GR-55 anywhere in the signal chain (just about).

This gives you the ultimate flexibility, and you can use the alternate tunings and acoustic guitar stuff inserted pre-amp, then use synth/fx stuff post amp and effects.

Plus, plugging direct from guitar's output into Kemper gives the best guitar tone possible with only 2 cables to deal with from the guitar (I go wireless with the guitar out, and plug the 13 pin in and out depending on if I'm using it or not live).

• I've gone back to using my GI-20/xv5050 setup, ( at least until Triple play arrives next week or so) , as I agree with 95% of the Gr-55 users, the GR-55 is just too noisy to use with an amp with any type of medium to high gain.

With this setup, the guitar out from the GI-20 runs into my GCX switcher through to the Kemper input, while the XV-5050 synth goes to The KPA alternate inputs, (although this bypasses the KPA modelling and effects, it does allow me to not need a separate mixer or two sets of stereo cabs). The GI-20 does not have the horrible noise coming from its guitar output, and with accurate settings, tracks as well as my GR-55.

As to the original poster, I no longer have any guitars with the add on GK-3 pickup to try your method, they are all either factory 13 pin, have gk internal installs, or old gr guitars with Wayne Jones 24-13 pin adapters.

However, I occasionally try bringing the synth in through the effects loop but haven't found an amp model clean enough for the synth tones, not even the JC 120 profiles. Any suggestions for a good clean profile?

• That was my quote. I forgot I wrote all that. Aparently I have too much time on my hands! Lol. I have moved on to using my trusty VG99 instead of my GR55. The SPDIF out to KPA SPDIF in is nice! The GR55 did work well though. I'm just a huge fan of the VG99....nothing quite compares.

bd

• Forgive the dumb question but, I'm considering getting a GR-55 to use on a few songs.

Is there any downside to just plugging the main outs of the GR into the main input of the KPA?

I already use the FX Loop of the KPA so, that's not really an option for me. All I want to do is use alt tunings on 2 songs (no modeling or effects, etc. from the GR55) and PCM synth on a few others (synth alone, no guitar, stack turned off in mono, etc.).

J

• I suspect the main outputs are way hotter than the guitar input on the KPA. You could reduce the GR55 outputs but I am not sure of the results. My GR55 is on loan. Perhaps one of other guys on here can try it for you.

bd

• I've gone back to using my GI-20/xv5050 setup, ( at least until Triple play arrives next week or so) , as I agree with 95% of the Gr-55 users, the GR-55 is just too noisy to use with an amp with any type of medium to high gain.

Search for user "Elantric". PM him about the modification that can be done to the GR-55 to pull the guitar signal off of the GK input *before* the internal circuitry. You have to add another 1/4" output jack on the rear, but it's a really easy mod to do and solves the noise issues almost entirely! :thumbup:

BTW, the mod is referred to on this post , along with some other ideas.

Also, check out this post which includes before and after O-Scope pictures of the noise reduction!

• Dlaut , you beat me to it about Elantric. Myramid, If you're thinkin about getting the GR55 you'll want to go to ' Vguitar forums" you'll find all the information you need fot the GR55 there. You'll find Elantric there as well and like here very nice and helpful people. Paul :thumbup: