The 1000 Profile Limit

• As unreasonable as it sounds - I don't like it. Its nice to enjoy so many sweats without worrying about a diet.

Yep - let me have it. Tell me how ridiculous I am for complaining about having 1000 rigs within the twist of a knob. Tell me how nothing else compares to this capacity. Tell me that it was never intended to do this. Tell me that it is necessary to make room for better things to come. Tell me that using favorites or viewing rigs last uploaded can help me audition and trim down... I get it all but I'm lazy and ridiculous - boom - the truth.

BUT tell me that the ability to direct upload from my computer is on the way - and tell me this as member of the Kemper team and I'll tell you that this limitation is of no concern to even the lazy and ridiculous anymore. Can you please tell me this?

"Tone is in the fingers" is not a necessary response to anything that I might type on any internet forum threads. Thank you.

• The biggest problem i have experienced with the KPA is too many rigs.

1000 is ridiculous and time consuming. Do you really want to be a digital amp collector?

Reminds me of my neice who has so much downloaded music just becuase she can. Never listens to 99% of it, but she has it. :wacko:

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• 1000 is ridiculous and time consuming. Do you really want to be a digital amp collector?

Reminds me of my neice who has so much downloaded music just becuase she can. Never listens to 99% of it, but she has it. :wacko:

I do not agree. It all depends on how you use it. In my case I would prefer if there was no restriction except for the one given by the storage capacity on the unit. Then it would be up to the user to decide how they want to use it. I have been using my KPA as an amp library (usually ordered by amp type) that I could carry anywhere with no need of a computer or external storage device to handle it.

In my opinion the unrestricted number of rigs, combined with the favorites feature, snapshots and browser filters (like order by) was simply perfect.

• Let me try to shift the perspective...

If you could download every rig being stored on the rig exchange onto your computer where you could quickly upload any rigs directly into your KPA via USB and then next month delete the folder where you kept it all on your computer and download that month's current collection, which might someday rival the size of a couple digital family photos that you likely have plenty of on your computer... how important would it be to you to delete the unused ones off your computer?

Your niece and I are seeing very small files that could easily be conveniently stored on the device that uses them. You mentioned "time consuming" but if the entire collection fits why not let it reside there - this take us zero time? My wife doesn't delete our family digital photos if they aren't worthy of being framed - do you? My parents kept Polaroid pictures in the drawer that were pretty badly out of focus but they are all there when we want to see them.

I have a feeling from the way that the KPA boots up slower with more rigs on it, that many things go into the 1000 rig limit recommendation - so don't think I'm simplifying this into the hard drive not being large enough to hold the rigs. I've had over 2300 on mine a few months ago so I know it can hold a hell of a lot more the 1000. I'm close to 1000 now and do plan to cut more. You quickly see the boundry when you install all of the factory rigs, download a few rig packs from Andy/Armin and then before you start trying things on the exchange - your now full.

"Tone is in the fingers" is not a necessary response to anything that I might type on any internet forum threads. Thank you.

• You quickly see the boundry when you install all of the factory rigs, download a few rig packs from Andy/Armin and then before you start trying things on the exchange - your now full.

Thanks for your post.
    Yes, I get this (your) perspective now (though I'm down to 79 rigs).
    Good and constructive discussion here.
    It would be great if somebody of the dev team could shed more light on the pros and cons of >1000 rigs, apart from booting time.

• You quickly see the boundry when you install all of the factory rigs, download a few rig packs from Andy/Armin and then before you start trying things on the exchange - your now full.

I agree with you. If you buy some commercial packs you will pass the 1.000 limit easily. Having all the rigs stored in your KPA and using "favourites" to identify the rigs you use daily is much better than switch the computer on, identify the profiles you want to load, copy them to a USB drive and uploading them to the KPA.

Saludos!
    Paco

• As the Kemper is like a computer inside is there no way to upgrade the memory to storage more than 1000 Rigs - or is it possible to run the rigs from the USB-Divice?
    Is this a possibility to solve this problem?
    :?: :?: :?:

greetz
    Peter

KPA-Rackversion with Line6 Powercab 112
    :thumbup: :love: :thumbup:

• Your niece and I are seeing very small files that could easily be conveniently stored on the device that uses them. You mentioned "time consuming" but if the entire collection fits why not let it reside there - this take us zero time? My wife doesn't delete our family digital photos if they aren't worthy of being framed - do you?

:D Yes I do delete photo's of my kids, I just keep the good ones,but I guess that's my OCD, i hate clutter ;) But I see your point and fair enough.

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• Whether we like it or not, we will have to live with that limit. It will become a hard limit soon.

That would be no problem at all if we'd have a librarian to manage the rigs on a computer. Currently all management has to be done with a tar-program and manually editing backup files. That is a pretty quirky concept anyway.

If Kemper gives us the librarian, the limit is no issue. Right now it certainly IS.

• Memory is finite. If 1000 is not enough, how much is? Personally, I will ever ever get close enough to worry. When I audition new rigs, they are deleted immediately if I don't dig them. I have them all stored in a folder on my computer so I can load them whenever I see fit. If the KPA has taught me anything, its how similar most guitar amps actually sound. When all is said and done, my bet is I'll have around 50 profiles (with a couple rig variations each) and never visit the exchange again...

• You are a much more disciplined human than I, Will :). While the limit does irk me. I would have definitely not felt 'cheated' (a rather subjective term), if I bought a box that specified limits up-front, rather than 'sneakily' introduce them much, much later. Though, since I dont remember the Kemper guys ever touting the ability to store an unlimited number of rigs on the KPA - as a major selling point - it's probably fair, I guess. I also understand that memory is finite and probably non-upgradeable (unlike a PC/Mac) - which is probably why this limit has been imposed at this point.

Other devices such as the Boss Gt-8 - or even the much revered Axe-Fx do exactly this - and people seem to be happy with having limits imposed upon them.

So while Im not too happy about the limits myself - I am going to clean up shop - and reduce the number of useable/mutually exclusive rigs I have on there to a more manageable number.

I do hope at some point - that there's a serious effort to extend rig-storage to the USB drive/hard drive, or some sort of PC/Mac integration with a librarian of some sort. This would definitely help in managing a larger number of rigs. I mean - I am reading stories about some of the forum members getting rid of ALL their gear and replacing them with the KPA. I would imagine that this takes a lot of profiling - and obviously the ability to store a great many rigs/profiles.

Till then - Im quite happy with the limit - since it does not hamper me at this point. I have survived with 200+ 'rigs' on my Boss GT-8 in all 5 years of it's glory - I think the KPA will keep me occupied for a very long time.

• The thing is, you are essentially unlimited in the amount of profile you attain. The 1,000 limit only applies to what you have loaded into the KPA at a given time. For me, that is overkill of the nth degree. Shoot, it took me a few days just to go through all the rigs which initially shipped with the unit.

If you don't visit the Rig Exchange, you will miss profiles like the Voltotherm.

No idea what that is, and unless it's going to make unicorn tears shoot out of my axe and allow me to time travel back in time to shake Jimi Hendrix's hand...I don't care. I've found about 5 profiles which cover my tonal nirvana. The rest are "just in case".