TheAmpFactory: LazyJ amps

• Theampfactory Proudly releases (after a long wait) the LazyJ Bundle, in all its raw glory captured over various settings of the amps. - its one of those amp builders that "you have to experience" for yourself. - Not for Metal guys or high gain players.

[Blocked Image: http://theampfactory.com/content/Mailshot-LazyJ-final.jpg]

As always.. THEAMPFACTORY

A small log of what happened:

Various members of community (not part of this one) and various from here too, spoke out and requested these amps, thinking it would be impossible, but I did anyway. - turned out Jessee Hoff is one of the nicest guys Ive met, and he is a really cool down to earth guy, says things how they are, and loves what he does that gives him passion for all things amp sounds. - we became chatty, and he wanted input into this profiling, as he was skeptical at first. - he had claimed that others had tried and failed to capture the true tone of his amps, a Challenge!! so I loaded my 3 mics, that I thought would work best, (121 on rear) 57 on side, and a U87 up front and wide, fed the 57/121 to the Neve 1073 Mic pre, and the U87 to a Great River MP-2NV, ran this through a Manly Massive Passive EQ with 18K and 44K LPF plus additional (but small) amount of extra warmth. but luckily when mine went for the test they passed with flying colors. and were a very true lifelike representation of the real thing. - naturally I was excited to hear this, and even more that the guy testing the amps for lazyj (who is a pro player, who happens to use the Kemper, called Jonus, also is using mine for his pro tour live setup., instead of the real thing. - I want to thank Jessee and LazyJ for there efforts involved and the time its taken on the lon journey to get to this point.. so naturally its a big moment for me to release these.. working this close to the real amp manufacture.. and not just any amp manufacture.. LAZYJ!! http://www.lazyjprojects.com if you need more info on who they are.

Please Enjoy! and share the Love.
    Sound samples coming very soon!

• Just purchased the Lazy J pack.. very very nice indeed!
    Personal favorites after a quick play with some youtube blues backing tracks are the LJ 80 Full, LJ 40 push2 and the LJ Sweet presets. Love the way the amp responds to guitar vol change with P90's - and has some real balls with vintage output humbuckers too! Only played the bundle briefly at home, but its easily makes it into the Top 3 Amp Factory purchases i've made so far (and there have been a few!)..

excellent :thumbup:

• Ok, I just bought them and here's my very brief review:
    I think you guys know that I'm a huge fan of Andy's work and I was very curious to try the LazyJ amp rigs. Well, the amp sound itself, the character is fantastic, great, awesome, etc.

There's just one strange issue that I didn't expect at all. The profiles are kind of noisy. :S
    Until now I had my Noise Gate set to 2.2 - 2.4 for my Strat and the Les Paul. All profiles I bought from Andy are just brilliant ... but the LazyJs are different. The 40 and the 80 make some considerable noise even if I'm not playing. All 3 amps make quite some disturbing and kind of "electronic" noise during sustain and decay. Sounds very strange when I consider the quality of Andy's other products.

Maybe there's an easy fix for this. But even then it's kind of strange because none of his other amps ever needed something like a fix for me. Hope this can be corrected in some way, otherwise I would ask for a refund. Would be really sad though, because the amps have lots of character and they feel nice as I mentioned before. They have good potential to be among my top 10 profiled amps ... if the above problem were gone. :)

Cheers,
    Martin

• The 40 and the 80 make some considerable noise even if I'm not playing. All 3 amps make quite some disturbing and kind of "electronic" noise during sustain and decay. Sounds very strange when I consider the quality of Andy's other products.

I dont have any issues at all here. I just ran through all the profiles in the pack with the input gate set at 0.0 and could not replicate what you describe. The higher gain profiles obviously have more noise than the the cleaner ones - but no more than any other profile on the kemper with all the gates turned off. I hear no difference when comparing to several of Andys other purchased amp profiles. For me, setting the input gate at 2.5 kills the slight hiss when not playing (single coil strat). I'm using the 1.7 Beta firmware also, in case it matters.

Really digging this bundle!

• lightbox, No idea why that would happen? - I get no more/no less than any other profile at matching gain levels. - so not even sure what to suggest.

I've recorded a very simple demo of the issue I get. The profiles are 100% unchanged. Noise Gate setting is 2.4, guitar and pickups is Fender American Standard Strat with Custom Shop Fat 50s Strat Pickups at position 2 (bridge&middle pickup).

1. Tone: AFLJ-Lazyj 80 Full
    2. Tone: AFV-63 Vibrolux Full
    3. Tone: AFLJ-Lazyj 40 Full

I think the issue is pretty obvious and as I mentioned before, I didn't have this with any of the profiles I bought from you. I put my #1 profile in the middle, because it demonstrates the difference to the LazyJs. I wish the noise levels of the LazyJs would be as low as the Vibrolux, because I really like their character a lot.

Cheers,
    Martin

• Is there a discount for past customers? (I did not receive an email this time.)

Hi
    Sadly there is no discount on this bundle (and only this one) as its a shared entity with LazyJ

There will be future discounts to make up for this though at some point soon with he next bundle.

• have to say these are absolutely brilliant, a must for anyone who seeks real valve organic sounding tone, juicy, sensitive and really controllable off the guitar, i could never afford these 3 amps, i guess they'd be over £4000, so they're a snip, god i love the kemper, and i love what andy does with it

as a side note i have not had any extra noise than with any other profiles

• Hm, nobody hearing the difference in my short demo file?

i have an idea what you are referring to, when you pick harder it jumps out. i assumed it was the character of a certain slammed amp profile. i tend to to find it with pushed el84 amps, trashy mids. to me they smear

• Hm, nobody hearing the difference in my short demo file?

I didn't hear anything through my laptop speakers but did hear some noise (especially on the last one -the 80W) and the compressor trying to fight it down. In all fairness, you are doing a test for noise on single note decays on a "FULL" profile. Just because these aren't soaring and beaming distortion lead tones doesn't mean you shouldn't expect a little noise on a full profile. Are the clean profiles noisy too? If you compared to other full profiles I would think you'll hear noise on them too. If this one is more than average I would suggest you turn down gain a little and turn the noise gate up a little until you find a happy middle ground that cuts some of the noise floor but not too much gain and move on.

I have a feeling that if the Kemper had no noise on every profile it would get ridiculed for being lifeless/sterile.

"Tone is in the fingers" is not a necessary response to anything that I might type on any internet forum threads. Thank you.

• If you compared to other full profiles I would think you'll hear noise on them too. If this one is more than average ...

That's exactly what I try to demo. The second tone is the Vibrolux Full and it generates much less noise in the sustain/decay. Of course, laptop speakers aren't the perfect means to listen to these things, hehe. The Noise Gate is something I adjust globally for my guitar(s), not on a "per rig" basis. What kind of solved the issue for me is to reduce Gain in the LazyJ's Full rigs down to 5.0 - 5.5. Much better now, but still the noise in decay bothers me a bit. Not the existance of it, but the "electronic", artificial sound of it. A more general problem with the Kemper I guess, not with Andy's amp profiles.

• There's just one strange issue that I didn't expect at all. The profiles are kind of noisy. :S
    Until now I had my Noise Gate set to 2.2 - 2.4 for my Strat and the Les Paul. All profiles I bought from Andy are just brilliant ... but the LazyJs are different. The 40 and the 80 make some considerable noise even if I'm not playing. All 3 amps make quite some disturbing and kind of "electronic" noise during sustain and decay. Sounds very strange when I consider the quality of Andy's other products.

Perhaps it comes from the firmware and not the capture.
    I noticed too that i have now from time to time (depending on the audio chain) a small noise.
    In the past after the first push on the store button the noise was cut completly, now that's not the case.(or there is a bug)
    Perhaps the kemper's team thought that they cut too much and they lost something. :?:
    It's not a problem for me.

• Andy, these are amazing! I tracked with the "LJ80 Full" today on a new tune and it sounds incredible. Will post it up soon.

The LJ80 is my favourite as well. Great amp, tweed sound with a twist.

I also found the LJ40 pretty useful, but I struggle a bit with the LJ20. That is nice with a Strat but it has way too much bass for my Les Paul. I think that might be the first profile where I don't like the 121 from behind the amp. But that is just my taste.

WIth the LJ80 it works great and that profile gave me what I was actually expecting from the LJ20 (a Joe Walsh kind of sound).