Mesa Boogie Mark III Red Stripe

• Here is a small clip to earmatch a Petrucci lead

I started from the markIIIJP6 profile from which I modified amp settings and cab settings to add warmth and trying to tame a lot frequencies above 6khz like petrucci did.

Thumas profiles like Tills ones have a lot of thickness and an incredible feeling . After it is just a matter of eq'ing

https://soundcloud.com/djemass/kemper-earmatching

1st part is the original track by Petrucci with delay and reverb. 2nd is my version without delay nor reverb. Didnt have time to dial reverb and delay... Lazy guy lol... This is a good tonal approximation. Strong delay and reverb for sure modify the presence also...

Your opinion ?

• Very close indeed, can't wait to hear what it sounds with delay and reverb! :)

• Here it is with delay and reverb !!

https://soundcloud.com/djemass/kemper-ab

I had to post eq it in ACID PRO by adding a simple Hi-Pass eq. This is the only critic I have against Kemper. Even with rolling all the high with Strudio Equalizer, there is still these high fizzy frequencies we can tame with a simple eq in the computer...

• Here it is with delay and reverb !!

https://soundcloud.com/djemass/kemper-ab

I had to post eq it in ACID PRO by adding a simple Hi-Pass eq. This is the only critic I have against Kemper. Even with rolling all the high with Strudio Equalizer, there is still these high fizzy frequencies we can tame with a simple eq in the computer...

Well, using the studio EQ takes some practice, but then it works pretty good. What is different from a standard DAW plugin eq is that you may have to set the frequencies a little different. The Q factor on the hi and low EQ are not very steep. So for just removing the very lo and hi end i mostly set the the frequencies to something like 40 and 30000 Hz. This might take some stronger cuts, sometimes up to 10 or 15 db. But the results are not bad.

• where are you typically placing the studio eq?

In the X Slot after the gain stages. EQs are way more effective here. However, if you put it before the Amp Section in a stomp slot it can be useful too. You can compensate tonal aspects of pickups this way, for example making your strat sound a little more humbucker like by boosting mids and bass.

• I placed it in the x slot. I used the hi freq at -18 db to test if I could remove totally a kind of freq above 7khz like we have when raise up he hi freq function in the cab section of the Kemper. Never been able to do it. I tested with the eq in acid pro. Worked like a charm... What do i have to conclude ? Is the hi freq a hi pass ?

• In the X Slot after the gain stages. EQs are way more effective here. However, if you put it before the Amp Section in a stomp slot it can be useful too. You can compensate tonal aspects of pickups this way, for example making your strat sound a little more humbucker like by boosting mids and bass.

Thanks. I just wanted to check i had the right idea as many of TAF profiles have two eq's. One before and one after. To my ears it seems andy is using them in the same way.

• I placed it in the x slot. I used the hi freq at -18 db to test if I could remove totally a kind of freq above 7khz like we have when raise up he hi freq function in the cab section of the Kemper. Never been able to do it. I tested with the eq in acid pro. Worked like a charm... What do i have to conclude ? Is the hi freq a hi pass ?

It very much depends on what you are aiming at. The Hi and Lo Filter in the studio eq have a very small Q factor which means that the "steepness" is very soft. This sounds more natural but many engineers prefer to set a steeper curve with a higher Q which more like a brickwall hipass or lowpass.

You can also try to use the mid band for the highs and the lows. These bands have adjustable Q which will allow for more precise setting.

• It very much depends on what you are aiming at. The Hi and Lo Filter in the studio eq have a very small Q factor which means that the "steepness" is very soft. This sounds more natural but many engineers prefer to set a steeper curve with a higher Q which more like a brickwall hipass or lowpass.

You can also try to use the mid band for the highs and the lows. These bands have adjustable Q which will allow for more precise setting.

You are right bro i will check on this. Thanx for the tip! Could be great to choose the q factor of the hi filter

• Interesting experience , been tryin'em and they are great boogie renditions !

Most have too much gain for me so I tweaked it down with a locked wah booster to enjoy all the gain course on each of them , and also used my fav cabs after :

With the original cab : F is the best for me , M is really heavy :)

With cab swapped : C F K and M are great on my gear (LP / FRFR ) for santanish & ZZ top stuff, really good boogie feel, I keep them.

• Thanks for your input.
    Maybe i could do a profile for you with less gain if you want?
    How much gain on the kemper do you usually use?

I guess you dont want that much 750hz scoop?

• Thanks for your input.
    Maybe- i could do a profile for you with less gain if you want?
    How much gain on the kemper do you usually use?

I guess you dont want that much 750hz scoop?

Hi the best is no graphic eq in what Waraba wants ;) bro your profiles are the boogie mark available here. My IIc+ profiles are very inspired by yours

• fantastic :thumbup:
    the best profiles mesa mark 3 ever heard
    thank you so much for sharing

if you have a profile other amps are as good and if I want to
    thank you again

• like the F :thumbup: