KPA - Public BETA 1.8.0.8357

• The only way I can think to do that without a hex pickup would only be accurate on frets 1 through 3:

Use polyphonic pitch analysis (like modern guitar tuners)
    Generate +1 octave for any note below 196hz
    Generate unison for 196hz and above

As of fret four, it would do three octave notes and three unison notes.

---

BTW: Even if you have a Variax, or hex pickup guitar with a VG99 or GR55, it won't sound exactly like a real one. They can create the notes, but the harmonic complexity of a 12-string comes from all those frequencies vibrating together in the same guitar body.

For live use, all notes shifted works for me.
    I have inexpensive acoustic and electric 12 strings for recording.

• Boss does exactly this in reverse, where notes below a threshold trigger an octave down signal. It's usable in an open chord strumming scenario, but due to notes being able to be played in multiple spots on the board, it won't work for single note lines in a realistic way. Of course, how often is one soloing on a 12-string...

• Anyone who uses a lot of 12 string likely already has one. Some upper fret action in Hard Day's Night, Eight Miles High, REM, not to mention the 8 and 12 string bass in Cheap Trick and Pearl Jam.

And, you can't play much of Stairway to Heaven in open position ( not that we haven't all played it enough times already....)

The octave shimmer is the part of the sound that jumps out in a mix - it does it even better on all six strings.