Brian May tone

• I am looking for a profile to get a good Brian May type tone. I am sitting in with a choir soon to perform Bohemian Rhapsody.
    Most of the Vox profiles are just not getting it for me.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Edited once, last by sb ().

• Most AC30 profiles are from the bright channel of a Topboost AC30. Brian May uses the normal channel of his amp (and I believe he has a non-top-boost) and an external treble booster. In earlier years he used a Dallas Rangemaster and later a Pete Cornish modell.

The very best base for this kind of sound is the AC30 copper top - one of And44's commercial profiles. When I put a treble booster in front of it it's instant Brian May. I use a BSM RM (Dallas Rangemaster clone) because I don't like the Kempers treble booster that much. But the guitar plays an important role as well. The solo in Bohemian is his "out-of-phase" setting on his guitar that is nearly impossible to recreate with anything else but that guitar. Guild used to make a clone of his fiddle but I don't know if those are still available.

I have the 24 tracks used for mixdown of that number, if I find some time tomorrow, I'll see if I can compare the sound of some AC30-profiles and might come up with a rig for you.

• Yes, I had one of these Brian May guitars for a while. I didn't bond with it because with 61.8 cm the scale was way too small for me.
    OTOH Mathew Bellamy of Muse is very convincing 'Brian' even with totally different guitars and amps, only how he is voicing his leads (when he feels like it).
    Playing the right things is the most important here. ;)

• Of course I understand all of the other factors involved. I am just looking for a good Queen sounding profile as a good starting point. I can play fine, I know that's the most important. I just want the tone to be close.

• I've had pretty good luck getting a Mayish tone using the AC30 HW profile by Reznor with a lead boost applied.

This profile is very cool. A little tweaking and there it is! Very fun profile to play on as well!

Edited once, last by sb ().

• We play "Friends will be friends" and for the solo I use a tweaked version of the 69 factory preset with a Lead boost in front and a Geq in X boosting mids and highs. All this with my DiMarzio equipped strat.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff