The reason I first wanted to play guitar, 38 years ago...Shine on you Crazy Diamond...

• I remember clearly, I was 15 at the time.

I had two older brothers that were obviously more advanced than me in so far as the 'new music' of the time.
    I was lying in my room one day and I heard this music coming from my brothers room, it was almost alien, something I'd never heard before, and there was this melodic almost classical violin kind of sound, that can't be a guitar I thought?
    I walked into my brothers room and asked wtf he was playing, he said, "this is too advanced for you, you're still a kid (as he sucked on his joint)...this is a band Pink Floyd, now close the door when you leave".

Kabooom!...I was addicted.
    Never mind Hendrix, Clapton, Beck, this is what defined a Stratocaster tone in my life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN15A8LnzMg

• Great memories Guitartone ... I remember clearly, I was 15 and for my birthday I wanted to buy an electric guitar to play Shine On You Crazy Diamond Part1. With my nylon string one I was able to play only Is There Anybody Out There arpeggios and that's it X(

The problem was, that only after months I understood that the electric guitar without amp and effects was .. almost nothing ... ?(;(

But at that time it wasn't Internet, you tube, forum like this, and I didn't have brothers or cousin with the same passion, I had only the Pink Floyd disc to listen to ...

I have seen them LIVE twice in Rome and Livorno 1989 and I will see Waters for the first time next 28th July in Rome with The Wall!!!

Thanks for remind me of those great days, never forget them! :thumbup:

And by the way I will share some others Pink Floyd KEMPER settings in the next future, stay tuned !!!

• Well, I've seen Pink Floyd only once, but that was in Atlanta around 1972 when Dark Side of the Moon was first released. I only went because some ex bandmates insisted. After that, I was hooked! 8o

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• This one grew on me - FM Radio was in the peak of "Album Oriented Radio", and Dark Side of the Moon was casting a long shadow over each new Floyd record. I was in high school bands, and we were playing guitar rock like Kiss, Ted Nugent, Aerosmith, Foghat.

But, then, I started playing with some older guys (including a really great keyboardist), and we played Prog Rock - a lot of Floyd, Genesis, Supertramp, Queen, Crack The Sky, Rush, Led Zep, etc. In that "just before MTV was really dominant" time period, we were playing that stuff as a successful bar band, to crowded dance floors full of people dancing in 7/4 time :) That was when "Shine" really grabbed me.

• I was 18 when I started playing guitar. Born in 71' my ears got educated to the beatiful organic stuff on radio at this time & by records of classic rock my mother used to buy and listen (Janis Joplin, Hendrix, the doors, Led Zep, floyd, The who, Zappa ...), These are the guitar sounds I've been chasing from the beginning.

The 80's had me very sad about the music , and I was appalled by the music from this era (cold wave, pop & synth stuff). eventually I fount my way thru 80's metal (Van Halen ...) Then my best friend (a total geek) brought me this 'new cool metal album' : Kill' em all by Metallica. I was totally hooked.

The next step was buying my first guitar (I still own it) : a 5th hand crappy laminated sg copy with an almost dead solid state amp. I rembember the first disto pedal I bought then, I could finally dial some great power chords and learn my 1st riffs , at last... :D

I bought my 1st real guitar a few months after, I remember this red Charvel CH1 with a single but powerful jackson pickup in it, 8) wow !!! My 1st tube amp powerfull came a bit later, i could never go back to solid state from this time ( fender champ 12 , I made some profiles from it , might share it if someone is interested).

• My brother came home from college and left his Wish You Were Here tape that was recorded on a TDK SA-90 (if anyone remembers those). I think I was 12 at the time. I played the whole album over and over rewinding the tape each time. Must've played it 100 times.

He came back about 4 months later and asked if he'd seen the tape, I said yes, WYWH was the greatest thing I'd ever heard. He looked at me with a puzzled look on his face and asked, "You didn't listen to the other side???" The other side had Dark Side of the Moon On It.