What is the general verdict on the KPA?

• Radley, I recall reading that you struggled to profile your old Fender amp. Any success?

I have struggled a bit with a couple of my Fender profiles (my 65 Super-Reverb & Blackface Deluxe-Reverb) - both profiles came out sounding a bit bright & thin compared to the actual amps. I traced the problem to the Cab aspect - by using other Cabs they sound noticeably better and thicker, but not totally like the orig. amps. I may try these same profiles again soon.... wish me luck. :wacko:

PS: I was using the same dynamic mic as on my Gibson Lancer profile.

All modelers known to man 8o

• I would add this: Pertaining to the KPA clean sounds, I am happy, but not yet totally thrilled - this is because I can't get my ideal compression sound from it yet. By ideal, I mean the type of compression that sustains and sings like an overdriven amp, without distortion or overblown/thumpy attack to the notes (I can easily get this from my Boss modelers, one of their particular strengths). I'm talking about clean Solo sounds, mind you...

• if the KPA catches perfectly the DNA of almost every amp have to be better all around, otherwise it's just a good modeller with a nice function called profiling

• I would add this: Pertaining to the KPA clean sounds, I am happy, but not yet totally thrilled - this is because I can't get my ideal compression sound from it yet. By ideal, I mean the type of compression that sustains and sings like an overdriven amp, without distortion or overblown/thumpy attack to the notes (I can easily get this from my Boss modelers, one of their particular strengths). I'm talking about clean Solo sounds, mind you...

Try my tweaked AC30 rig...I used a Strat.
    Might be a tad 'thumpy', then reduce Compression & Bass..

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.…013-04-26%2004-13-49.kipr

• []I have struggled a bit with a couple of my Fender profiles (my 65 Super-Reverb & Blackface Deluxe-Reverb) - both profiles came out sounding a bit bright & thin compared to the actual amps. I traced the problem to the Cab aspect - by using other Cabs they sound noticeably better and thicker, but not totally like the orig. amps. I may try these same profiles again soon.... wish me luck. :wacko:

Hmm... but by using other cabs, as good as this feature is, you actually don't play your amp anymore but somebody else's.
    May I ask (not to diminish your miking skills): with your more problematic amps, have you thought about taking them to a studio of your choice and work on them with an engineer?

• Unless I really, really don't understand how this thing works (a distinct possibility) I think it's fair to reiterate that the KPA can only capture the DNA of any given amp based on what mic and signal path you use. The mic, mic pre, mic placement, cabling etc... are all a part of THAT profile.

That's why Andy's profiles are so good. He is using professional grade gear to capture the best sonic characteristics of any given amp. And also why he gives you multiple profiles with different mic combo's for your choice.

You could put a $5000 head through a $100 mic with crappy cables and its gonna sound like a nice amp mic'ed with crappy gear.

Also, for whatever it's worth, it is very, very difficult to capture what an amp sounds like with just your ears "in the room." That is nearly impossible. We are always hearing a sonic translation of guitar amps on the recordings we love. Some can get close with multiple mics and expert placement. But most of us don't have the gear or skill set to pull that off. At best, it's an approximation of that sound.

Still, nothing wrong with a '57 on the edge of the dust cap through a decent pre. That's how most of our favorite recordings were done. Add a good ribbon mic to that and you are golden. But it still doesn't sound just like the amp "in the room."

• I have struggled a bit with a couple of my Fender profiles (my 65 Super-Reverb & Blackface Deluxe-Reverb) - both profiles came out sounding a bit bright & thin compared to the actual amps. I traced the problem to the Cab aspect - by using other Cabs they sound noticeably better and thicker, but not totally like the orig. amps. I may try these same profiles again soon.... wish me luck. :wacko:

Have you made your own profiles and compared them thru your studio monitors?

• Fazz: one thing that Radley is not lacking is experience nor gear. He's the guitarist of Neil Diamond (and many other things...). He's chasing a very particular clean tone that makes massive use of external compressors.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

Yes. You are right. I'm also a heavy compressor user on the clean sounds. Unfortunately, the compressor sound in my KPA is not the same like in my Roland GP100, or in my older or newest Roland/Boss gear, even if I,m using compressors on the KPAs amp section or in the stomp or X slots. :( I have tryed using even EQ after/before the comp...., but it,s simply not the same.....For the same reason I,ve selled my Keeley compressor pedal. :(
    Which is Your most succesfull Roland/Boos-like compressor setting?

• Yes. You are right. I'm also a heavy compressor user on the clean sounds. Unfortunately, the compressor sound in my KPA is not the same like in my Roland GP100, or in my older or newest Roland/Boss gear, even if I,m using compressors on the KPAs amp section or in the stomp or X slots. :( I have tried using even EQ after/before the comp...., but it,s simply not the same.....For the same reason I,ve selled my Keeley compressor pedal. :(
    Which is Your most succesfull Roland/Boss-like compressor setting?

As I recall it's a combination of amp compression and the dedicated compressor with a fairly fast attack time, and a minus setting on the pick parameter...

• Have you made your own profiles and compared them thru your studio monitors?

CK - Thanks for joining in. I'll be back in 'profiling mode' soon, and plan to try again with these two amps. Do you feel that the fattest amp profiles are attained with close mic'ing or distant? (up to this point, it's mainly been very close mic technique for me)

• Hadley, this is up to your own taste.
    I am not the godfather of your culture and your sound.
    I have no preference in close or far miking.
    I have simply made a tool, so that you can be the godfather of your own tone.

Take a day in a studio to make your own profiles with your favorite sound engineer (your FOH guy?).
    If you still miss something then in the A/B comparison, come back to me.