Att: CK - Custom Scales Request 1.8 Beta !

• Okay - I haven't posted for a while but I thought it relevant to after living with 1.8 Beta for a while.

Can you PLEASE change the GUI for the CUSTOM SCALES for the official 1.8 release.

I'm asking that instead of using the current 1.8 Beta STEPS to implement CUSTOM SCALES where you see a
    chromatic scale and then the user can select what note he or she wants against the original chromatic scale.
    (This is how Eventide does it and for a serious reason)

It should look something like the following:-

USER CUSTOM SCALE 1

Original Note User Selected/Shifted Note
    E A
    F A#
    F# G
    G D
    G# D#
    A Db
    A# D
    B E
    C E
    C# F
    D Gb
    D# G

Where the user didn't want a shifted note against the chromatic scale they would leave it blank
    so the KPA would return nothing shifted OR a second unison note against the original note.

Whilst your current Beta solution maybe musically more formal it is daunting to many users
    who don't have the knowledge to get the most out of the effect.

I can assure you if you implement the above more users (& potential new buyers) will use (want) the CUSTOM SCALES function
    and this is why Eventide implemented it this way.

I sincerely hope you take the above on board and implement it ASAP.

Also if you could add a filter on each shifted voice to roll off the top/high end and provide a small delay option to each shifted voice it
    would have the harmonizer blending more so with the original unshifted note like a true second guitarist would in a live situation.

Ideally, system resources permitting, also adding a modulation option for each shifted voice would totally cover off all requirements and
    have your harmonizer totally finalised.

Thanks in advance.

• It took me a second to do it, but I was able to work with the custom scale interface. The only problem with just a note name is you's really need to also indicate which octave of that note (ex C3, C4, etc). Otherwise +1.

• You might have noticed that there is more aspects to this.

The reason to show the scale in steps is the ability to set it to a different key afterwards. This is not supported by many pitch shifters, if I see that correctly. But it's a major benefit!

I for myself would have a hard time to handle absolute note names, as a scale for an accompaining second voice is a highly relative issue for me. That's how I feel and perceive music. I think in intervals rather than absolute notes,

Having this said, I could think of labeling the steps with interval names, such as +3 maj rather than +4.

Regarding your proposal to start with a chromatic scale: what would be the initial interval for a scale?
    A fourth? A major third up? Or down? Selectable?
    I haven't noticed Eventide solving this problem or request.

• When dealing with harmony, there is no way to easily get around without having some scale and mode knowledge. This can be patterns and intervals or notes....but it really helps a lot!

bd

• Good to receive your response.

Your concerns are correct.

Eventide address this by allowing you to "first' select what scale and mode along with the key you would like to use.
    You then have the option to then add notes to the existing scale shown and should you wish you can chromaticise the scale. The key/tonic are still intact but again you can then change those to another key if you wish.

Eventide deal in note names and not steps.

If you would like I could send you screen dumps to give you a detailed view of an Eventide H8000 custom scales, If so, let me know where and I will.

Just to be clear what's in your beta works but to most guitar players it could be far more simplified by the above making more appealing to existing owners and future owners.

By implenting custom scales to your KPA you have fulfilled most guitarists lust/dream for an Eventide product.

What about the pre delay and modulation requests above, is it possible to implement?

I look forward to your response.

• Eventide isn't really that advanced. The Roland VG99 harmonizer has presets for major/minor scales and has 11 chromatic steps in the custom scale. Step 1 is the root. Each step has a number that defaults to 0 which is the offset. The offset can range +/- 24. This allows the defining of the harmony note played in correspondence to the note detected. Once configured, the root (key) is set but can be changed on the fly. Very easy and handy to use. It has dual effect engines and can have dual harmonizers with different offsets for 3 part harmonies. Been that way since 2006.

bd

• Eventide isn't really that advanced. The Roland VG99 harmonizer has presets for major/minor scales and has 11 chromatic steps in the custom scale. Step 1 is the root. Each step has a number that defaults to 0 which is the offset. The offset can range +/- 24. This allows the defining of the harmony note played in correspondence to the note detected. Once configured, the root (key) is set but can be changed on the fly. Very easy and handy to use. It has dual effect engines and can have dual harmonizers with different offsets for 3 part harmonies. Been that way since 2006.

bd

The Eventide H8000 can have 8 scales and does more than you've listed above

You need to use and drive the H8000 and you'll appreciate where I'm coming from.

The H8000 is a dual dsp machine and you can configure them ANYWAY you want to using their Vsig program/editor.

Eventide invented digital effects and harmonisation.

• 8 simultaneous scales? That's more than enough....Lol. Sounds powerful. My comment was more along the lines of "everybody is doing it now"....but I stand corrected, not at that level. I doubt anybody else would create an 8 simultaneous scale unit. That's over the top!

Now I want to check one out.

Thanks,

bd

• We can do over the top. Want a 96 note chord from playing a single note?

You can do six Pitch FX at once in the Kemper, and each one is in series , so you play one note on your guitar:

Three note chord from the first Fx

Six note chord from the second Fx

12 note chord from the third FX

24 from the fourth

48 from the fifth.

96 note chord from the sixth

If it is not big enough, you still have delay and reverb.

Now play another note, and get another 96 note chord. :D

• Okay, I'll take it all. Can you wrap it before I go? :P

• Ha! That won't work due to the harmonic shifter not really being polyphonic, but you could absolutely do that with the chromatic shifter! Actually, you can get some interesting synthy type of tones by taking advantage of pitch shifting artifacts. I've not tried it with the KPA yet, but if you shift notes up a couple octaves with a Whammy pedal and then shift them back down with another pitch shifter you get a really bizarre in a good way type of tone. Hmmmm...I know what I'm doing tonight!

EDIT: And the math is off. If you play a single note and create a dual harmony, and feed that to another instance, the second shift will result in the output of the first (3 notes) with all 3 notes shifted by both intervals (ex 3 up, 3 down) resulting in a 9 note chord. A third instance would already be up to 27 notes!

• LOL - if you used two harmonies + unison with each Pitch Effect, you are correct about it tripling each time. 729 notes?

I used them in series for the shimmer rigs- it is really hard to add two pitch shifts to more than six voices and still have music.

In my suggestion , I switched to the (original + one harmony) Custom scale, after 6 voices, in hopes of avoiding cacophony (Latin for "sounds like caca") ;)

You and I definitely think alike - I'm looking forward to hear your synthy stuff. More icing to add to the "not only do the guitar amps sound great, but it does this, too" cake. :)

I have been playing with shifting one direction, and shifting back down, too. Like you said, the amount of artifacts can be controlled by changing the amount of pitch shift (+/- 24 has much more than +/- 5). If you use a shaper or fuzz before the Pitch Effects, you can push it in a general waveform direction. Turning the Amp and Cab off will give you purer synth tone. The detune works like with synth oscillators, and you can use the two sets of pitch effects voices as two, three, or four "oscilllators", to get simple MiniKorg sounds like The Cars, or big and fat Moog Modular "Lucky Man" tones. I came pretty close a few days ago , but wanted to get away from them before posting the rigs, in case a listening with "fresh ears" would make me want to make any final tweaks.

I'll listen to them again tonight, and see if they are if they are close enough to post. :)

As if that isn't enough, a third Pitch effect can be used to turn the above into synth bass :)

• \\OT MODE ON\\

In my suggestion , I switched to the (original + one harmony) Custom scale, after 6 voices, in hopes of avoiding cacophony (Latin for "sounds like caca")

LOL

Funny etymological reference, but it's actually the other way around: kakos in Greek means "bad", hence the term (and probably the childish "cacca") :D

\\OT MODE OFF\\