Hendrix rigs needed !!

• Okay, I'm cheating on this one...

I'm using Andy's Bassman 59 Clean+ with some additional tweaks from the beginning of this thread and the reverb I noted earlier... BUT I used some great pedals to get me the rest of the way

LSL Saticoy
    Area 51 Wah
    Captain Coconut II (standard order - Octave, FuzzFoot, Provibe)
    Cornell 1st Fuzz (rare NOS version)

Into KPA

Excuse the noodling. Both fuzzes on the entire time - volume rolled back is the key. You can hear how wicked the fuzz is when I turn the volume up later in the clip. The Cornell cleans up like no other but get's radio signals like a mother. I almost sold it but I discovered a strange cure - if it sits in this order I still get the radio signals but as soon as I turn on the Captain Coconut's Fuzz - presto - ZERO interference on the volume roll back. I was ecstatic to stumble onto this because the Cornell is special.

"Tone is in the fingers" is not a necessary response to anything that I might type on any internet forum threads. Thank you.

Edited 2 times, last by BuckeyeBrown ().

• Warcaba,

I don't know anyone near me with a KPA or I would do it! I'm in Columbiana, OH - a little south of Youngstown if anyone wants to try and steal the soul from my signal chain. Obviously the wah, vibe and octave can't be profiled but I'm curious if even a snapshot of that cleaned up/rolled back tone would even work right. Those tones are volume rolled back tones and on a vintage style strat (no treble bleed/low-output pickups) that signal hitting the Cornell is not only at a lower volume but also with rolled off of highs. That Cornell however somehow juices even more highs back in, and loves to feed radio interference in too - unless the Captain Coconut's Fuzzfoot is on (again, no clue but couldn't be happier in stumbling onto this). I wonder if after profiling this chain if it would sound most accurate with the volume rolled bacl or not. I don't know jack about what's going on, technically speaking but I have a feeling the word capaitance is large part of the answer. ;)

"Tone is in the fingers" is not a necessary response to anything that I might type on any internet forum threads. Thank you.

Edited once, last by BuckeyeBrown ().

• This thread is old but might be very interesting for KPA noobs, a great collaborative effort.

I'm happy to dig it from the graveyard , we've got lots of new stuff/profiles to do some crazy sonical experiments.

Any volunteers to keep it up with Hendrix legacy ??

• This is the first time I've seen this thread and the video with the bassman.
    That is the holy grail of tone right there IMO and same with the gear.
    It's great that KPA users can set their sites on something so lofty and amazing. We keep pushing the envelope.

• Hi there waraba,

just stumbled across this discussion. I always wondered how the superior sound of the vid could be reproduced. Some of it is room, volume, guitar and well done licks. Lots of rigs are being recommended in this discussion. I always liked a 59 Bassman rig of Johnny Navarro. With a little treble boosting (1st stomp), a little green scream (2nd stomp) and a compressor (4th stomp), power saggin to 3.0 and rolled of volume on a well aged strat with the neck pickup dialled in, one can come close.

Good luck

Joachim

• Hi guys,

If you need more info regarding the different elements involved in the "holy grail" sound we all know and love from the famous Bassman59 video, you could ask the owner (YT user: millstap). His name is Stan and he's an extremely nice guy, really helpful. Profiling that amp would be interesting, his is real vintage gear using only NOS tubes and historically correct replacement parts for his amps. Also, using 62 strats help a lot in obtaining that tone...

• Disclaimer: I haven't read every post on this thread so forgive me if this has already been said.

That is a cool tone, but consider this when trying to get that same tone from any device...not just a Kemper:

-That appeared to me to be recorded from a camcorder or iphone etc. with him close to both the camera and the amp.
    -If that's the case, realize that the sound and brightness/twang of the strings is probably being picked up by the mic along with the amp itself. This can make a rather noticeable difference. Don't believe me? Record your Kemper at low volume to where you're hearing your strings and the tone coming from the monitors. Then play back the audio. That string sound wasn't recorded and a little of what you thought was cool is gone.
    -The angle that the camera/mic appears to be is similar to that which guitarists are used to hearing jamming in the room. The kemper's profiles generally aren't done with mics in that position. I'm sure there are exceptions.

that being said, it's a nice tone indeed.

• If you find that sparkle lacking, you can try mixing in some direct guitar sound in the Amp section.