Questions before getting the KPA (NI Rig Kontrol 3 MIDI control? Expression pedal with dual function?)

• Hello Kemper gang,
    I'm a working musician who's ready for some rig updating! Been using a laptop, Guitar Rig, and NI Rig Kontrol 3 for the past few years while my tube amps are just holding down the fort at the house & studio. The options out there are just too good for me to overlook any longer, and the Kemper is seriously impressing me. A couple of quick questions- I would really appreciate any insight.

1) Can the N.I. Rig Kontrol 3 be used as a MIDI controller for the Kemper? Switching presets, turning effects on and off, tap tempo, tuner? I'm aware that I will have to look at the actual amp for tuning and it won't show up on the controller. I really like its footprint and would love to use it until there's an "official" KPA foot controller.
    http://www.native-instruments.…uitar/guitar-rig-kontrol/

2) With the expression pedal on the RK3 (or a separate expression pedal, if I have to get a different MIDI controller), can the expression pedal be assigned a couple of functions? For example, go to my first preset, the expression pedal controls volume and NOT wah, then when I step on the toe switch, it then controls wah and NOT volume.

Thanks so much for any help! I'm excited to overhaul my live rig and, of course, the Kemper would be the centerpiece of that. :)

• Well, all what you're asking depends really on the controller, not the Kemper. I assume yes (though I'm not so sure you're going to be able to change the #CC assignment of the exp. pedal when using the toe switch).

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Hello aljones81,
    you can control the kpa with your guitar rig kontrol 3, but its too complex, because you need your laptop.
    There is too much programming involved. The kontrol cant send any program changes by itself, there is
    a programm on your laptop, which sends them.
    The best set up is, sell everything and buy the kpa and a behringer fcb 1010. you wont be disappointed, really.
    With the fcb 1010 you can have wah and volume control, without changing any presets.
    I have "experimeted" a lot with guitar rig and was never satisfied, except guitar rig 5, was mmh ok.
    After an half an hour trying the kpa, i was ready to sell the guitar rig and most my pedals.
    The kpa is that good. :D

• You guys have been hugely helpful- thanks! :thumbup: I'll plan on getting rid of the RK3, or perhaps just keeping it for backup. I'd rather learn the FCB1010 than use the Kemper with a laptop/RK3.

Say if I eventually do an external expression pedal: I suppose what I am really asking is if it's possible to assign an actual rocker pedal to control both volume and wah, then, assuming it has a toe switch, hitting that alternates between vol-ON wah-OFF and vol-OFF wah-ON.

Those of you with the FCB1010, I know it has two expression pedals built in. One of them could be set to control volume and "always on", the other could control wah/whammy/etc. How do those of you activate that second pedal? Do you have to take up one of the switches on the board with "wah on/off", or is there some kind of auto-on feature when you step on the pedal and move it?

Thanks all! Never truly messed around with sending MIDI before (Rig Kontrol and Guitar Rig is super simple in how they work together).

• Those of you with the FCB1010, I know it has two expression pedals built in. One of them could be set to control volume and "always on", the other could control wah/whammy/etc. How do those of you activate that second pedal? Do you have to take up one of the switches on the board with "wah on/off", or is there some kind of auto-on feature when you step on the pedal and move it?

The KPA gives you the option to control the wah with either bypass@ heel, @toe or @stop.
    I personally prefer bypass @stop.
    Wah kicks in whenever I move the pedal and switches off when I stop moving. Super convenient, believe me.

• One pedal ( volume ) pedal is always on. the second ( wah or pitchshifter :thumbup: ) pedal is assignable to bypass ( on/off ) at stop; at heel or toe.
    Everything is very easy to set up.
    edit: too late :D

• Thanks to both of you for the helpful answers! I like the wah bypass at stop option, but I suppose that means no Michael Schenker cocked wah tones. Guess I have to buy a Kemper and FCB1010 to find out for myself :thumbup:

• Thanks to both of you for the helpful answers! I like the wah bypass at stop option, but I suppose that means no Michael Schenker cocked wah tones. Guess I have to buy a Kemper and FCB1010 to find out for myself :thumbup:

If you're after cocked wah tones, simply select bypass@ heel or @toe.
    Wah stays on in a fixed position until you move the pedal to heel or toe.