Hello from deepest, darkest Somerset, England!

• Hey everyone, my names Ben.

I'm very interested in getting a Kemper (to the point of joining the KPA forum!), although I haven't been able to afford one yet.

When I do finally get my mitts on one I'm planning to take all my gear down to the local studios and get profiling! In particular I have a fantastic sounding Traynor YCV50 Blue which is 120v so using it here in the UK is a PITA as it means lugging around an external transformer, plus the amp cuts out after 20 minutes or so of use which makes it a no go for live use - having a profile of it will be like getting an old friend back from the dead!

At the moment I'm debating the power head version - the initial outlay is a fair wad more than the standard Kemper but in terms of portability it's got to be worth it in the long run compared to lugging about an external power amp. Ideally I was planning to use it without a guitar cab, but for jamming with friends I think I will probably end up needing a cab. Many of you guys using the power head version, and if so do you think it is worth the extra? Also, do many of you guys end up using pedalboards with your Kempers or just the Kempers FX?

Ben

• FRFR seems pretty popular, but also pretty expensive. Would be great to use it for the cab sims on the Kemper though. I guess I could drop the additional £400 or so from the power head on a FRFR system, is there anything in that price range you would recommend for home use and a s a monitor live?

• Hi Ben and welcome!
    My setup is very simple. Besides the Kemper and a new Behringer floorboard FCB101, pimped with a UnO chip I use amps ands cabs that I previously had.. I run my guitars into the KPA and control the KPA with the FCB1010 (rig selection and some effects on/off). At home I use a Laney LV300H as amp through the SFX return which feeds a custom 1x12 open cab with a Celestion speaker. I prefer this over a headphone solution.
    At rehearsal room I have a 100W Laney active monitor, nothing fancy but it works and sounds well enough. I've tried a couple of months our PA but it did not sound right and there was no chance to generate a controlled feedback.
    For gigs I go into the FOH board and use my Laney active monitor on stage.Obviously I'm not a pro and just play guitar in a band for fun. 8)

Enjoy the show here!

Lots of great people in this forum with some incredible knowledge and experience. In the last half year around here I've learned here a lot about sound and gear from the pros!

• Welcome! There are many ways to add powered sound to the lunchbox - powered monitors, power amp through speaker cabs, monitor out through line in of standard guitar amps ... They all sound great, but you'll have to try them for yourself to determine what your ears prefer. Enjoy the journey !

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Hi everyone!

Thanks guys sounds some really good advice there.

Labrat that is a great suggestion - I hadn't though of the FX return on my amp, I may go with that at the start to get me going for home use and see where I go from there. I have a Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 36 which I'm currently using, so it would be worth a go. The one situation I didn't want to get into was wishing I had invested in the powerhead version when it's too late seeing as Kemper can't retrofit the power amps. The Yamaha DXR 10 also looks good thanks Ingolf, and also in budget if I didn't get the powered head... interesting stuff!

Seems like a top forum here!