Strange 1.8.1 update experience.

• My KPA was at 1.8.0 prior to attempting to upgrade it tonight. I put the upgrade file on the same USB in the same directory as always. I turned the Kemper on and got distracted with other studio stuff while it booted and I totally forgot about it. When I finally remembered, I looked at the display and it was not prompting me to do an upgrade like it has in the past. So, I decided to shut it down and try again ... this time with my full attention. As it came back up I saw that the OS had reverted back to 1.6.1...holy smoke, what the heck happened? It came fully up and did not ask to upgrade. Wow, this was strange. Where the heck did 1.6.1 come from. Anyway, I shut it down again, waited a moment and the turned it on again. As it came up it again displayed the OS version as 1.6.1 After it was fully back up it finally displayed the upgrade message. I responded with yes and it completed the upgrade successfully...thank goodness.

Anyway, I thought I'd share this little bit of strange behavior in case someone else is confronted with same thing. :D

• I had a similar thing when I upgraded to 1.8.0. I ended up with 1.0.8. It turned out I just was reading bad and took the wrong file from my folder where I store all the firmware files. Are you shure you did not fall into the same trap? Reading 1.6.1 for 1.8.1 in a hurry?

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• I'm positive. As I wrote, I saw 1.6.1 not only on the first reboot but also on the second. I was in no hurry. The USB drive I use only has three directories on it - OS directory - Backup directory - Shared directory. The only thing I put in the OS directory is the current upgrade file. I'm absolutely certain the events happend exactly as I described. Like I said, strange. :wacko:

• Scary.

I have gigs to do in the next days. So I won't upgrade to 1.8.1 myself ...

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• Just trying to find potential causes:
    Did you check the root of your USB drive? No old kaos.bin there, by accident?

Cheers,
    Martin

The USB drive I use is dedicated exclusively to the Kemper. There are NO files in the root. As I wrote above, there are only three folders on that USB drive, one for the OS, one for Backups and one for Profiles...that's it. Hey, I'm a systems guy and I update systems all the time. That's why I find this so strange. :wacko: