tone matching kemper tutorial

• so, after reading the threads about this matter, my question is: was it ever created a tutorial on this thing? I'd like to go deeper into it.........

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• so, after reading the threads about this matter, my question is: was it ever created a tutorial on this thing? I'd like to go deeper into it.........

Not a real tutorial, but i started a few threads about this:
    classic metal tones done with EQ matching
    Profiling with EQ matching plugins

• Hi Tyler...............the first link you pasted was one of the thread I mentioned have read about it. the second I didn't read yet. will do it right away and get back to the forum afterwards.

by the way, your speakers are incredible. I'm choosing all my profiles for both studio and live according to them. my all time favourite is the 1960 15 either with the sm57 or the other.

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

• Hi Tyler...............the first link you pasted was one of the thread I mentioned have read about it. the second I didn't read yet. will do it right away and get back to the forum afterwards.

by the way, your speakers are incredible. I'm choosing all my profiles for both studio and live according to them. my all time favourite is the 1960 15 either with the sm57 or the other.

Thx Michael... already saw of that great stuff you are doing. Would love to hear or see something where you use one of my cabs...

• uhm........i think the guitars on Honestly were done with your cabs.................but all the next material I'm working at is with your cabs.........

but since you are here I take the advance to ask you something more.

as mentioned I'm studying the tone matching thing. first question: the cab maker by kemper is related to the process? as far as I know (few concept though) the cab maker allows to transform an IR into a kipr file, which is a cab that will be listed in the cab list of the kemper, right?

isn't the tone matching a similar process as a concept?

sorry for the dumb question..........but I don't know if I can do the tone matching with my soundcard, edirol F101. I wish I can..........so I hope the cab maker way could in a way be a similar path

• No, the cabmaker has no role in this.

The basic thing is using a tool like ozone. It´s an analyzer combined with a EQ that has a few thousand bands and thus allows for super complex EQ curves. It allows you to anayze your own guitar tone plus the desired guitar tone. Then it compares the two EQ curves and creates a differential curve. This differential curve is applied to your own tone which then morphs to the target tone.

What can be a llittle tricky though is the routing to use this for creating profiles. You would use your amp and mike like with normal profiling. But now you place your DAW between the mic and the KPA return. Regard your DAW as real time effects processor. If you get this done the rest isn´t that hard anymore...

• so at the end is the kemper that creates the profile. the daw/soundcard is just the fx proxessor with a unique FX: the desired tone. after that the kemper is used in the profiling mode. is this correct?

at the end I have to try the chain.

correct me if I'm wrong:
    1) my guitar goes into the kemper.
    2) the kemper goes into me mesa 290 and thus to the cabs
    3) I put in front of the speakers the mic I want to use (sm57)
    4) the sm57 is plugged into the soundcard and thus what's coming out is picked up into the DAW (sonar in my case)
    5) one output of the soundcard is plugged into the kemper return
    5) in sonar I open ozone and do the setting as in the numerous tutorial
    6) after I have a tone matched I put the kemper into profiling mode and do the procedure

should be it. but I might be wrong...........

• I'm pretty sure another method you can use is put the isolated guitar recording you want in your DAW
    find a similar sounding profile
    record the same track with the cab off
    using ozone to match it
    export IR , turn IR into kemper cab using cab maker and reimport into the kemper

• Yes, this is the way... Of course you need a goof tone source for the target tone that you want to archieve. Using original guitar stem tracks or parts of recordings where only the guitar is heard like a into is a good way to do it. Just import those into your DAW and use these as a target. Of course the tone that´s coming out your own amp should ba as close as possible, which gives you the best results. At least get a similar gain level....

• Yes, this is the way... Of course you need a goof tone source for the target tone that you want to archieve. Using original guitar stem tracks or parts of recordings where only the guitar is heard like a into is a good way to do it. Just import those into your DAW and use these as a target. Of course the tone that´s coming out your own amp should ba as close as possible, which gives you the best results. At least get a similar gain level....

ok. let me be a bit more precise. indeed I forgot the source and the target.

the goal is to tone match steve vai guitar tone in alien love secret album. there we can find the first song intro which is just guitar for several seconds. the song name is bad horsie.
    as in the clark kent tutorial, I will have two tracks in my daw: one is the steve vai excerpt and the second is the same riff played by me with a plug in like amplitube or similar without a cab (I guess).
    I will have ozone analize the steve vai original riff and mine and let ozone do the blending of steve vai riff tone into mine.

from here on I'm a bit lost......can you guide me through?

• i dig it. but according to this tutorial the tone matching is something that has to do with the cab maker. this video has that software to import an IR impulse to something for the axefx similar to the kemper cabmaker.

Tyler will throw his point of view, but profiling the tone matched sound and making, instead, an IR for a cabmaker are two different ways to achieve the same result.

of course I don't want to provoke a sterile discussion here........just want to understand and follow the easiest way of doing it

• i dig it. but according to this tutorial the tone matching is something that has to do with the cab maker. this video has that software to import an IR impulse to something for the axefx similar to the kemper cabmaker.

Tyler will throw his point of view, but profiling the tone matched sound and making, instead, an IR for a cabmaker are two different ways to achieve the same result.

of course I don't want to provoke a sterile discussion here........just want to understand and follow the easiest way of doing it

The tutorial by clark kent about how to use ozone can used in the same way for the KPA. Just forget about the last part (creating an IR).

The only trick is to use the real time monitoring within the audio track that is feeded by your miked amp. It´s the same as is if you were using a software amp. You need to activate the real time monitoring to be able to hear the plugin on your guitar in real time. If you have ozone running on your live guitar feed, you just need to take a profile.

Just think of an equalizer that you place between your miked amp and the KPA. It works the same here only that the EQ is a software plugin on your DAW.

• ok. just a curiosity: have you ever tried to tone match bad horsie intro by steve vai? :love:

No, and i have to admit that my general interest in tonematching isn´t that high anymore. I did a lot of tonematches of all kind of tones from my favourite metal albums which turned out as nearly perfect matches. However, i don´t really use any of these because i just like the normal profile stuff way more.

• Hi, I did it like that : Kemper ready profile (no effects, cab off) > DAW > Ozone 4> matched EQ > Voxengo deconvolver > IR > cabmaker > .kipr file> import back to Kemper and attach to the initial profile as cab. The results are amazing.
    If someone has done both methods ( this one and with profiling), let us know which one gives better results:)

• Hi, I did it like that : Kemper ready profile (no effects, cab off) > DAW > Ozone 4> matched EQ > Voxengo deconvolver > IR > cabmaker > .kipr file> import back to Kemper and attach to the initial profile as cab. The results are amazing.
    If someone has done both methods ( this one and with profiling), let us know which one gives better results:)

I tried both methods. The one with profiling works better imo. The reason for this is that the cab maker doesnt work 100% yet. It seems to change the EQ curve of the IR file in some way.

• I tried both methods. The one with profiling works better imo. The reason for this is that the cab maker doesnt work 100% yet. It seems to change the EQ curve of the IR file in some way.

interesting...I had pretty decent results with it. I might give the profiling method a go

one thing I do a little different to the tutorials is use the actual ozone eq around 13khz and select BRICK WALL
    I get some ridiculous HF spikes when exporting otherwise

• Yes, I noticed that too - the cabmaker is not 100% precise! I might try profiling with real amp too, my problem is I have only 1963 Vox AC-30 with master gain and no external loop, it will be hard to match high gain tones even by a long shot. Maybe some pedals in front would help..