show us your foolproof mic position(s)

• Yeah, nice one thank you, I am aware of it - just thought it was for output rather than input purposes! Still profiling via single mic currently, but will move on to multiple mics after that ... Don't know how I'm going to handle 3 mics as this phase invert trick seems to be for 2 mics...

CURRENT:
    (FLOOR) Kemper Remote w/ Mission exp + EB VP
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• Yeah, nice one thank you, I am aware of it - just thought it was for output rather than input purposes! Still profiling via single mic currently, but will move on to multiple mics after that ... Don't know how I'm going to handle 3 mics as this phase invert trick seems to be for 2 mics...

The phase invert trick is what mixers use as needed on drum kits with 10 mics and more :) But the battle is fought and won with MIC PLACEMENT rather than reversing the polarity.

• The phase invert trick is what mixers use as needed on drum kits with 10 mics and more :) But the battle is fought and won with MIC PLACEMENT rather than reversing the polarity.

How is this phase invert trick put into practice on more than a 2 mic setup then...? (I thought the whole reason it worked was it pitched 1 mic's 'most pleasing' placement with another's...) Unless it's just different positions on the same speaker (being a circular shape...) or the same positions (phase relationship) on another speaker (in say a 4x12) ?

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• This series of videos helped me tremendously on using two mics, placement and keeping phase alignment.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• How is this phase invert trick put into practice on more than a 2 mic setup then...? (I thought the whole reason it worked was it pitched 1 mic's 'most pleasing' placement with another's...) Unless it's just different positions on the same speaker (being a circular shape...) or the same positions (phase relationship) on another speaker (in say a 4x12) ?

OK, let's back up for a bit... I got carried away with the drum talk - that was more relevant to mixing, and dependant on how it was recorded... :)

The polarity flip trick ("reverse phase") is used more with polarity buttons directly on preamps. What you do, as Sam said (though I haven't seen the video, hope I'm not too far off), is you find a good sounding mic and mic position on the cab. Then you LISTEN. Are you satisfied? If not, move it around some more. Then you get to the point where you go "That's it! If ONLY it had a bit more XXX". THen you take your other mic (which hopefully complements the first one in a way that will allow you to get what you want). So say you want to get some more high end in there. You might take your second mic and put it more toward the center. Then you move it around and listen for a good position for that mic (the first one muted at this point).

Bear in mind I'm speaking from academic understanding rather than real world experience here.

When you find a good position, you un-mute the first mic, reverse the polarity of either mic, and then you move mic number two SLOWLY along a straight line away from the amp, or possibly towards the amp, until the signal gets as quiet or thin as it can. THEN you unflip the phase. That should help you get the full bodied sound.

Then when you add a third mic, it's basically the same (and I'm REALLY simplifying things here, disregarding mic placement as an artform), only you get the third mic to sound good with the sum of the two first mics (so you flip the polarity of just the third mic - or alternatively both the others instead).

• Yeah I think there's a recent Audient interface with the ability to reverse the polarity. I have a Focusrite 18i20 however, and don't have a physical button for that so will likely have to use the 'Gain' plugin within Utility on Logic...

I think your method is close but no cigar... My understanding is you set the 1st mic up as you have said and then mute. Then to combine the 2nd way in the most thickening way you flip the polarity first, and then move it around the speaker looking for this thinnest 'spot' (signal) and when you find that position flip the phase back (for an opposite thickest possible signal)

Can anyone clarify ? or are both methods achieving the same end result ?

The number of mics (x) beyond 2 was where it was confusing me... As I can see how pitching one mic against another with the phase reverse trick would yield satisfying results, but then what happens when you introduce mic 3 and reverse the polarity (which mic are you pitching it against?! and are you looking for the thinnest signal again at this point? If so, conversely, you shouldn't need to phase inverse as you could just look for strong signal again ??)

Going to watch that video above now and see what they divulge :)

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• Just wondering what the most suitable cable from the interface to the Profiler would be (for multi-mic profiling) ?

Since the standard setup for a single mic is XLR to XLR return on the Kemper, assuming it's best to have the return from the interface (to the Kemper) terminating with an XLR also...

But would the end plugged into the interface be best as a TS or TRS plug? (Ie. Does the Kemper require the interface to send a stereo signal and hence need a TRS plug or does it just require a summed mono signal in which case a TS to XLR would suffice?) ... If you see what I'm getting at...!?

Or do I need an extravagant custom made cable such as a TS/TS 'Y' cable to XLR (to take a stereo signal from 2 outs of the interface simultaneously ie. TS (mono) & TS (mono) ) ??

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• Anyone?!

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• Summed mono. In the case of TRS - XLR from your interface, the TRS plug isn't stereo but balanced.

Just send one side from your interface and you'll be laughing.

Awesome, thanks!

I have a decent TRS to XLR cable already from re-amp usage so don't need to purchase one :D

What do you mean when you say "Just send one side from your interface" ? (like the L OR R channel ie. DAW1 or DAW2 ...? -- Would this not be "summed mono" and just 'mono' ...?)

Cheers for your continued help man!

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• I said summed mono just to take error out of the equation (some interfaces by default make input 1 left, input 2 right, input 3 left, input 4 right etc.), but if the inputs are set up so that they are panned to the middle, just one side will suffice. :)