Recommend me a powered FRFR for home/bedroom use

• I'm looking at buying a powered wedge for my Kemper, as I've currently got it running through a stereo amp into KEF floorstanders.

While it sounds great, it's lacking that cab feel, which I take from reading on here, can be gotten by using a 10 or 12" wedge.

So the reason I don't immediately get the Yamaha DXR10 is that I am worried that the cooling system will bug me when I play it at lower volumes. And I play at lower volumes a lot.

So what would you recommend? I think I'd like to keep it to minimum 10", not opposed to a decent 12", but
    It needs to operate quietly and also not break the bank as I'll rarely if ever use it outside the home.

• The Yamaha DXR 10 will bug you and the Matrix Q12A, too. Tried both --- not good for low volume as the fan is too loud. I use Behringer PA monitors which do not have a cooling system... No noise at all.. For low volume also studio monitors do the trick.... but the cab feel is lacking a bit.

Anyway at low volume it is by principle very challenging to get the "real deal". It is a compromise. Real fun comes with more power....

Cheers

Sacapuntas

• I've had very good results with Behringer Truths across the entire modeling spectrum. I've been using them since the GNX4 was cool.

"Heavy Metal does have a message for the rest of the world: Fuck You!" -Sebastian Bach

• Again, thanks a lot!

I've been recommended to look at the Tech 21 Power Engine 60, which is a FRFR amp in a guitar cab setup with a 12" speaker.

My main worry is, that I get bugged by the hugely narrow spread of treble in traditional guitar amp/1x12 setup when playing at home, as you have to find a sweet spot.

So, will the powered wedge have this problem, or is that what the active circuitry avoids? And will the tech 21 therefore suffer from this?

• My main worry is, that I get bugged by the hugely narrow spread of treble in traditional guitar amp/1x12 setup

The best remedy here are coaxial speakers. FRFR or studio monitors.

My RCF TT08 is not coaxial but it also sounds gorgeous at extremly low volumes in the night. And it is loud enough for gigs. But, yes, quite pricey :huh: .

Anyway it's a good idea to avoid fan-cooled speakers.

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• I use the FBT Maxx 4a and love it. There's no fan, plenty of on-board eq, and it works very well in a live situation. I particularly like the dispersion of the built-in horn for the higher frequencies...it's nice and wide.

• I have 2 Tech 21 Power Engine's and although I like them, they are definitely not FRFR. Even when a crossover and tweeter are added , like quite a few people here have done, they are still not FRFR, although better than without the tweets.

I wouldn't consider anything with an open back FRFR. Audio Engineers spend years on designing enclosures as they make a lot of difference, so it isn't just the drivers. My opinion,.. Hmm,. Well the ultimate audio system for the Kemper would have the Full Range of Monitors, with the focus of 4x12 cabs, ( maybe actually the lack of focus ?).

• An open-back design can't be full frequency-flat response because the response would vary based on the type of room, how close it was to a wall, yadda yadda.

But all said and done, the Tech 21 Power Engine 60 is a pretty nifty power cabinet. Not full FRFR, but its pretty damn good nevertheless. The Seventy80 speaker it uses is voiced for guitar, but more neutral than other speakers and the amplifier doesn't seem to add any character to the sound. Not flat like a reference monitor or a FRFR system like the Atomic amplifiers, but it is excellent for most modellers and I'm assuming it would work pretty well with the Kemper. With the EQ settings at the back, I've been able to tweak them to approximate the response of my Dynaudio reference monitors.

Of course, that is inside "my room" and that could change if you're on stage or in another venue. But those EQ controls are pretty handy. And I'm betting the front-of-house you're playing isn't going to be FRFR.

Was checking some source and someone correct me if this is BS, but apparently most of the guitar's frequencies are centred in the 82.4Hz- 1319Hz range. Here's a frequency response chart for the Seventy80:

[Blocked Image: http://imageshack.us/a/img16/9099/lli.gif]

It's obviously not going to be like an Atomic, but at a third/half of the price, it is pretty cost effective. Just not absolutely-true-to-the-concept FRFR. Which nothing is, really :D

• If you're considering a Tech21 Power Engine 60 then you should also consider a Fender Mustang III. It's slightly cheaper, is more powerful, and can be used as a backup amp all by itself. I bought one based on Ingolf's recommendation, and others have as well. Just connect the KPA Monitor out to the Return input on the MIII. Surprisingly good :thumbup:

Edit: Ha! Ingolf beat me to it!

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Ringing in on top as well!! I tried the TECH ....ehhh But after Zap led me to the Mustang 3
    I took a ride on it and now have that as well and have to say fantastic!!! And Like he said "backup"!! I picked it up used $200
    Live, I put it behind me, sometimes alone, sometimes along with a DXR10 up front and GEEEEZ am I in my own Heaven!! ;) 8) :thumbup:

• Wow! That's really interesting! I've never tried the Mustang, am not a fan of digital amps, having owned a solid state Marshall MG50DFX. But through the FX return? Interesting prospect!

Here's a graph showcasing the frequency character of the 12" Celestion G12T-100 used in the Mustang.

[Blocked Image: http://imageshack.us/a/img59/1526/55j.gif]

Looks identical to the Seventy80 other than a bit of a dip in the 1000 Hz region. I'm guessing that would make it sound a little darker than the Tech 21. Even more so considering that the Tech 21 has got an open back.

EDIT: Just noticed that the Mustang III has an open back too.

• Wow! That's really interesting! I've never tried the Mustang, am not a fan of digital amps, having owned a solid state Marshall MG50DFX. But through the FX return? Interesting prospect!

Yeah, apart from personal preferences (I personally think the M III is an awesome amp and incredible value for money), when you plug into the return you bypass the whole modeling circuit and get to a great sounding solid state power amp.

Also I have found the Celestion G12T-100 better sounding than the seventy 80 (which I think is a little dull). The G12T doesn't sound dark.

• Of course the M IV will also do the job, but not necessarily better.
    1. The stereo capabilities of the IV won't do nothing for you as cabdriver can only be had in mono.
    2. Also the IV sports another speaker (2 x 12" Celestion G12P-80).
    I like the G12T-100 in the M III more.

But this is hairsplitting at best and in the end you should hear and judge for yourself. ;)

• I bet that as time goes on manufacturers will realize that there is a market for people looking for something between the Atomic CLR, RCF, etc. and other common FRFR recommends and some nice studio monitors. Something that has some punch but isn't necessarily going to keep up with a drummer. Something dead quiet.

"Tone is in the fingers" is not a necessary response to anything that I might type on any internet forum threads. Thank you.