Is the white Kemper Amp easier to see level settings?

• Like most every guitarist in the world it seems I too am planning a Kemper
    Amp purchase before I do my next recording. question?

As an older rocker my ears are still good but my eyes aren't so sharp.

I know I could look at photos or videos...but first hand experience from those who own one would really help me out:

Is it easier to see the knobs/controls/settings/levels on the White toaster version than the black.

Most prefer the black cause it looks cooler, more rock and roll maybe or more hi end.....

but clearly seeing the level settings is an important issue for myself
    and I'm sure many others. I always hated black VCR's or DVD recorders
    with everything written in black on black (the in's and out's) can never
    see what is what.

So what do you Kemper amp users have to say about this.

Much appreciated.

• Where the knobs are at is displayed with leds or on the screen. They are endless rotary style. Color of the unit shouldn't make any difference.

The written names for buttons and knobs may be harder to read, or not. I have no problem reading them on my dark unit. However, the layout of knobs and buttons are so easy to familiarize with that being able to read their names really is unnecessary 8)

• Where the knobs are at is displayed with leds or on the screen. They are endless rotary style. Color of the unit shouldn't make any difference.

The written names for buttons and knobs may be harder to read, or not. I have no problem reading them on my dark unit. However, the layout of knobs and buttons are so easy to familiarize with that being able to read their names really is unnecessary 8)

Apart form this comment that is totally true, I would add... having tried both, that the White is better in the night with few light and the Black is better in the day with the sun daylight. The leds are the same, but the written names on the various knobs are little better on the White, with more contrast. Maybe, in your case, I would choose the White one...

• Is it easier to see the knobs/controls/settings/levels on the White toaster version than the black.

For me, subjectively, yes, that is why I chose white (and was willing to wait a few weeks when a black one was available immediately). Probably irrelevant after getting the lay of the land after some use, but the white I have an easier time visualizing the layout on the white version.

• Thanks for your input. It really helps.

I didn't specifically mean to be writing about the VU level meters actually but the names and notches/levels on the knob controls.

As one poster stated "after a while you will know what every knob does"

....but what about fine tuning and tweaking the knob adjustments.

Kemper tech support says they are = lly readable. Choose for yourself from a pic or video. Fair enough.

But those of you out there who spend hours adjusting levels/tweaking while recording know what I mean!

I also like to record in a mellow light...not bright sunlight or a brightly lit room.

Most of the new polls users prefer the black version.

I know how cool black gear looks.

I have a "vintage" black strat plus. But practicality may be a deciding factor. Besides....the white does look retro futuristic ala Jetsons.

The White/Silver one looks exactly like an ultra high tech 3D Doppler imaging device that I was scanned by for a medical procedure.

There are less than 10 of these in the world.

A lot more Kemper amps.

• I had both, white and black, toasters. The white version is easier to read. The white/silver background highlights the black letters. The letters also seem to sit on the white/silver paint. On the black version the white letter melt together with the background, So from a readability point of view, the white toaster is better, but I don't dare to say how much ;)
    What is more important is the display. It's not a really good display (IPS or OLED), has weak contrast and is highly viewing angle dependent. It's good to read when you sit straight towards it, but when you're standing and look from above, it's hard to read. BTW, there are two different displays used for the toaster version. One is rather blue, the other one is rather green. I first thought the blueish version is for the white version only, but then I got the same display also in one of my black toasters. I prefer the blueish display over the other one.

• BTW, there are two different displays used for the toaster version. One is rather blue, the other one is rather green. I first thought the blueish version is for the white version only, but then I got the same display also in one of my black toasters. I prefer the blueish display over the other one.

This is not true, you probably just had different white balance values.
    See SYSTEM - Page 1/9 "White Balance". You can easily change from green to blue and back. ;)

• I'm sure that the letters are easier to read on the white one but once you get used to the layout of the knobs (which happen fast) you just don't need to read anymore so... I would say just choose what you prefer!

• See SYSTEM - Page 1/9 "White Balance". You can easily change from green to blue and back. ;)

... says the one who has not seen more then one KPA in person :whistling:
    I definitely had both displays set up the same way, but still there was a significant difference!

[Blocked Image: http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/9308/3p01.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/848/j3v3.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://imageshack.us/a/img706/5829/avg5.jpg]

I like the blueish screen better, however, even compared to old mobile phones, the display is crap. On the other hand, when you have dialed in your tones, you don't need the display that much and if the editor finally has arrived, it's not an issue at all. I guess I'm too flattered by all the retina displays these days ;)

I havent compared the black and white kemper next to eachother but I usually find white text on black background easier to see.

If the base material is the same yes. The black Kemper however is different, none metallic. The black on the white version is popping up from the surface, the white letters on the black version don't.

My latest Kemper (PowerRack) has by far the worst display, I can't dial in a proper contrast at all:

[Blocked Image: http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/2236/2szi.jpg]

• Taking the KPA through Minneapolis airport security was interesting.

"And what is this?" . "It's a guitar amp." . Long stare. "We'll have to x-ray this unit. Please step aside." Long wait, feeling almost criminal. :whistling:

• Taking the KPA through Minneapolis airport security was interesting.

"And what is this?" . "It's a guitar amp." . Long stare. "We'll have to x-ray this unit. Please step aside." Long wait, feeling almost criminal. :whistling:

It's only a matter of time before someone going through security says;
    - it's just a soul and DNA stealing satanic toaster space radio. -Let me demonstrate, behold and listen....
    It will result in full security alert and thorough cavity searches for several days.
    :D

• I'm waiting for my Black toaster to arrive at the store - I've never seen one in person so the readability I can't comment on.

Reason I'm replying is because I've worked in the healthcare environment for 23 years now. there days, I sell medical equipment for a living (specifically ultrasound machines). The White toaster does remind me of a piece of slightly retro medical equipment:). My company doesn't stick to the traditional colours but the sheer number of medical devices that are a kind of cream / white / buff colour is astonishing so I see things this colour with a bunch of buttons every single day.

This is the reason I'm waiting for a black one..... I play purely for pleasure and need it to not remind me of my day job. Don't get me wrong, I love what I do for a living but I don't want to be ripping out a great riff and then look over to a thing that reminds me of work :)

• Reason I'm replying is because I've worked in the healthcare environment for 23 years now. there days, I sell medical equipment for a living (specifically ultrasound machines). The White toaster does remind me of a piece of slightly retro medical equipment. My company doesn't stick to the traditional colours but the sheer number of medical devices that are a kind of cream / white / buff colour is astonishing so I see things this colour with a bunch of buttons every single day.

This is the reason I'm waiting for a black one..... I play purely for pleasure and need it to not remind me of my day job. Don't get me wrong, I love what I do for a living but I don't want to be ripping out a great riff and then look over to a thing that reminds me of work

LOL ! Yeah, try to forget work and everything else when playing :)

. I originally wanted a black toaster, but at the time, they only had the white in stock, and I was not waiting :D
    I really dig it though, the white actually looks cool to me. Might stay cooler in the summer too ;)