Which Interface for my Kemper ?

• Hello.
    I sold my Pod HD 500, so it's time for a 'real' interface !(btw, a new pod will be released soon :D )
    I would like to record guitar, bass and vocals.
    What are you guys using?

Is there a cheap one, that does a good job ? ;)
    Do you think spidf is necessary ?

I thought about a focusrite scarlett 2i2 and a M-Audio M-Track Plus (does someone have it?)

Btw i have 2 Yamaha Hs80m at home!

Thank you!

• Define "cheap". I think SPDIF is very handy - I use it all the time with my KPA. It is especially good to have if you consider reamping, that works lossless using SPDIF (it does work analog too though). I use a Scarlett 8i6.

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• I have the 8i6 scarlett and its working great.. and pretty cheap too

Leg em down and yackem smackem

• Depends on your budget. If it's around 200 bucks I'd choose an interface with spdif as the quality is probably better then when using the line inputs. It also depends what you want to do, do you want to record some demos for you and your friends or do you want to record professional productions?

• Hi,

I bought a SCARLETT 2I4 Focusrite (around 180 euros).
    It does not have SPDIF, but for my needs ( record some basic chord sequences with a drum track to play solo), it is perfect.

Coupled to my Imac and Garageband, it was really plug ...and play...the guitar, no driver required, i'm really happy

Laurent

Laurent

• Take a look at he Quad Capture from Roland, I use one in SPDIF since one month and I get flawless results. they are worth 250€

Drivers are very good on my PC.

great unit, low latency, direct monitoring and great preamps too, i think these are the best value interface (in this pricerange)currently on the market. :thumbup:

plus the spdif i/o makes reamping so easy it would be a crime not to record a di track :^)

• (btw, a new pod will be released soon :D )

Line 6 always comes out with a new pod every 4-5 years.
    There are no official words about any new product anywhere, do you have inside information about this?
    Looking at Line 6 product history I'd guess the POD HD series to be around at least another 1-2 years.

(sorry for OT)

• With the ability of reamping with the KPA in the digital domain, to me S/PDIF is a must!

Echo Audiofire4 here. Firewire, small form factor, excellent sound quality, S/PDIF, bus powered. Love it.

• I have been using a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 as my interface for about a year and it has been a very good unit. Solid construction, good solid drivers... highly recommended.

I use this interface with an SP/Dif connection for my Kemper along with Cubase or Reaper for recording.

Peace...
    bluzkat

• About Line6:
    Yeah i have some insider informations :D It'll be a Line6 POD HD 500x.
    Summed up, it's a hd 500 with more routing options and more dsp ! :)

Thank you for all these sugesstions!
    I read them too late ;( I got the possibility to buy the Scarlett 2i4 new for 120€.
    But now i'm a bit sad because of the missing spdif :(
    I hope it was the right decision.

Is there another good working possibility without the SPIDF?
    What about the settings?

Thank you very much for the advices !

• You always can use the analog outs, but you will always loose signal quality without S/PDIF. And you have to set the levels by yourself, IMHO S/PDIF is a must, YMMV :D

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• Am i right in thinking i need two spdif cables??

Also, if i connect to the interface via spdif and the interface to my monitors do i always need to be running Logic to hear sound??

Cheers

Actually, you only need one cable (sp/dif 'out' from the KPA to the sp/dif 'in' on the interface).

As far as I know... you'll need to run your DAW software.

That cable will be fine (same one I'm using! :D )

Peace...
    bluzkat

... if i connect to the interface via spdif and the interface to my monitors do i always need to be running Logic to hear sound??

No, you don't. The benefit of direct monitoring, often advertised as "zero latency monitoring".

And no, not all Focusrite interfaces have standalone mixing software, the 2i4 for example doesn't have. But this one has the necessary additional controls on the front panel.