Atomic Reactor 112-18

• Hi everybody!
    I have opportunity to get pair of these for under 400€..
    They are old models without volume (2005?) and have a bit buzz (from a cooler as in a computer, but it can also been heard little bit from speaker), is that maybe fault or feature?
    Pros and cons please!
    I have used to use KPA with valveamps with guitar cabinet -are these only for FRFR use with cabinet sim on?

BTW Promised to decide tomorrow at Monday...

Thanx,
    -Olli

• Oh my...now I promised to buy them.... ?(

Ingolf, can you imagine that they can work for me cause Im all the time used guitar amp and guitar cabinet with cab off in KPA?
    Or are they something between...not FRFR nor guitar amp like..?

Came to my mind also that is it possible that they could sound as a regular guitar setup if changing the loudspeaker similar as in guitar cabinets....up to 5000 Hz only..?

-Olli

• Ingolf, I never hear you talk about your CLR , only the DXR10. Did you decide to get rid of it ?

No, not at all, they are awesome!
    But I'm a lazy guy and I find the DXR 10 easier to transport than the CLR. That's all to it. The CLR's remain in my music room at home, the DXR at rehearsal and for gigs at the moment.

• Interesting, I've been on the CLR waiting list for awhile now and hoping to get one soon. Yes, I'm an old man and that extra 10lbs (over the DXR100 may be a bit much. HA! HA! I guess still better then the 75lb cab I use now , and whole lot better then the 100+lb 4/12 flight case cab I use to haul around.

• Thanx Paults for encouragement
    -especially now when I have already promised to buy them... :)

Can you think that if I they sound too bright it would be good idea to change loudspeakers to regular guitar elements?

One purpose (maybe) is also been able to use them with a normal tube preamps.

-Olli

• Atomics are tested -and WAU!
    This is the first time I really get remarkable excellent sounds cabinet on...until now I have used cabinet off with Mesa or VHT poweramp to guitar cabinets.
    BUT: Reactors has two EL84 tubes... :D

I just wanted to make all simple as possible: experimented to find 5 best sounds from clean to lead with locked Tills Mixed 001 cab....
    Before doing this I just got tired to tweak when cabinets changed all the time with rigs -and the differencies was so huge.....

And because Im not after authenticity of sounds, just want to have best possible and suitable sounds to play with...

After all, this method worked for me and Atomic Reactor 112-18 pair seems to be very useful piece of gear with KPA :thumbup:

• Hi, I have a 112-18 myself and I'm trying to get rid of it. 18 watts is respectable for a tube amp but if you push the amp to higher volumes with rigs of high gain amps (at rehearsal volume level) you'll find the amp breaking up too much and adding an unpleasant distortion to an already distorted (in a good sense) tone. It adds warmth to clean rigs but I'd stay away if you intend to play Harder Stuff as it will colour your tone too much.

I'm in the process of selling the atomic and buying a DXR10 or DXR8....

Just my 2 cents....

• Hi mattlocked,
    thanks for your opinion.

I havent had opportunity to test that pair with drummer etc., but Im aware of this problem.
    Anyway, I like very much the distortion what 112-18 gives in louder volumes, with both clean/crunch and lead tones -the difficulties starts when using delay or reverb cause then it goes too unclear.
    One idea is to try Atomic as a dry center channel and feed effects to two side channels...now when it is possible in KPA.

• Hi, I have a 112-18 myself and I'm trying to get rid of it. 18 watts is respectable for a tube amp but if you push the amp to higher volumes with rigs of high gain amps (at rehearsal volume level) you'll find the amp breaking up too much and adding an unpleasant distortion to an already distorted (in a good sense) tone. It adds warmth to clean rigs but I'd stay away if you intend to play Harder Stuff as it will colour your tone too much.

I'm in the process of selling the atomic and buying a DXR10 or DXR8....

Just my 2 cents....

Hi! With that Atomic CLR hype all around I just wanted to let you know that two my Atomic Reactor 112-18 with speakers changed to WGS Veterans really works.
    I have also Yamaha DXR-10 but I prefer Reactors.
    Funny thing also is that I can use the same cabinet simulation with Reactors, DXR10 and my Adam A5x studiomonitors by just adjusting a little bit of KPA:s output eq.....
    And at least having two of Reactors there is no any problems with a headroom even with clean sounds with drummer..