KIPR Tag Editor

• Hi Gianfranco,

I don't know the reason. I assume depending on your system configuration the Python installer is downloading required packets. To make sure you have got the original unmodified Python installer you should verify the MD5 checksum of the downloaded file or download and verify the signed file. See detailed Python 2.7.6 page.

Instead of the installer you could download the source tarball and compile yourself (not supported for Windows).

• Thanks trebie, Windows user here.

I'm very strict when it comes to security and privacy.
    I usually suspect about apps doing things "under the UI" w/o warning the user. It was my firewall that warned me about the operation. I don't want they to perform weird tasks, check my files, install stuff I'm not aware of and the like. Unless I can find an official page stating that this is normal and specifying what the app actually does.
    I'll check if I can come across something.

Thanks for your time, for now python will stay away from my system I'm afraid :|

• Python is the least of your worries, especially if you verify the checksum. If you are really concerned about security, delete every trace of Java from your machine. At the very least, disable the Java browser plugins. And don't use Internet Explorer. I use Firefox with NoScript blocking all Javascript unless I allow the domain.

• Gianfranco,
    I can understand your concerns. Downloading open source and community developed Python from the official web site (http://www.python.org/) and verifying the checksum or signature should give you more confidence than the average Windows program can offer. If you prefer you may use a commercial Python version from ActiveState. Don't know how this would be more secure though.
    One of the reasons the Tag Editor(s) are written and released in Python source code is that you don't have to trust us. You can check the program yourself.
    Btw.: Did you try to install Python with internet disconnected?

DigitalBliss,
    If you are worried about Windows doing things behind your back - run KIPR Tag Editor on Mac OS X or Linux. Python is pre-installed on most of these systems.

• Hi trebie, have you ever thought to add a feature to handle performance file and easily extract the rigs from those?
    This could be also a great stand alone sub-program, is it possible to develop easily such "exe" file that extract from a performance .kipf file 5 .kipr ones???

Thanks for your time...

• I'm downloading python from the python site, so I'm not afraid I'm downloading something else, but rather that they're trying to do things on/about my PC w/o letting me know, and I don't know what kind of things. I understand this old "user is stupid, let's let him know as few as possible about what's happening here" attitude, but I don't buy it.
    I'm installing a specific version I've already d/led, why the hell installer's firs worry should be to check for a newer version, even before saying hallo (LOL)??
    Note: when I deny the installer the access to the internet, the installation stops with a weird error report ("the prog version is not meant for this kind of processor"). Why doesn't it explicitly ask for a connection? Bad programming :thumbdown:

• Gianfranco,
    You are right that it's bad behaviour to access the internet without notification.
    Concerning the error message: There are two versions of the Windows installer available:

• Windows binary
    • Windows AMD64 / Intel 64 / X86-64 binary

The later will work with 64 bit processors and 64 bit Windows only. Did you download the correct version?

• Maurizio,
    I did look into performance files already. Was thinking about a Performance tag editor. Extracting the individual rigs from performance files should be possible. There is only so much time for programming, music and the rest.

• Thanks for your help :)

I had actually d/led the wrong python version from the site. I denied the permission to access the internet, and the installation went on flawlessly.
    But, when I launch the program, I got explicit errors related to a denied internet connection: IDLE subprocess Error: Persistent connection denial.

It just seems python won't work if it can't connect... and I just ask myself why the hell a connection is critical to start the environment :/

:D

• i'm going to test this tonight. I have my eset smart security set to prompt me for any application attempting to access the net, and I don't remember it prompting me either during python install or when opening the tag editor. I downloaded the windows binary for x64.

• so i didn't have the prompt on for my laptop, so i am not sure if eset (anti-virus/firewall) allowed a connection or not (edit: during the python installation). i switched to complete interactive mode, and loaded the tag editor - no requests to communicate.

• trebie Thank you very much for this impressive work you have done, and thank you for sharing with the community!!
    Very much appreciated.

I love the additional features of the new version to handle and create backup files. Also, the batch processing is a very handy tool.

Please keep up the great work!
    :thumbup:

• Been trying to find the kpa tag editor but "gitorious" seems to have disappeared?
    Anyone have an active link to a download,? or better yet, can anyone help me out and send it to me?
    Thanks in advance!

• Been trying to find the kpa tag editor but "gitorious" seems to have disappeared?
    Anyone have an active link to a download,? or better yet, can anyone help me out and send it to me?
    Thanks in advance!

The Tag Editor disappeared because it became out of date - it would not work with current Rigs.

BUT - you can easily edit Rig Tags in Rig Manager :)

• Ah, but I would so love it if this tool was updated. I used to routinely run it over my folder collections of .kipr's to generate detailed eagle-eye view spreadsheets that I could stash along with those folders for perusal. So convenient!