Why so many "copyists"?

• How young do you want them?

I was thinking about individualistic players, no matter how old. People with a really very own, far out approach to guitar playing who still managed to be sucessful in the upper market. I am not really an explicit fan of Knopfler but his fingerpicking and his very individualistic phrasing make him a good example.

This ...

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

... is clearly not upmarket, but isn't it gorgeous playing?

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

Edited 2 times, last by fretboardminer ().

• In which case, Tosin Abasi fits nicely.

AAL is a one man band, he is definitely upmarket and no one has ever played like that.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• i have to confess i have never heard of Tosin Abasi,apologies for that. but mass appeal? or am i missing something?

In the recent two years he's put out 3 albums, got a signature Strandberg*, Ibanez (now mass produced) and a couple of others if i'm not mistaken,
    did about 25 guitar clinics in universities worldwide, several hundred commercial shows, two of these EMGtv performances,
    featured in pretty much every single guitar-centric magazine and even got his own Wikipedia article :P

I'd call that mass appeal. As for the talented bastard's playing...
    See for yourself.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihqT1aA4Q88

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• I'd call that mass appeal.

He is obviously big in the "guitar world" but i dont think the mass market is very aware of him.for example if i asked around in my local pub how many people had heard of Mark Knopfler i expect that a great many would say yes,but if i said have you heard of Tosin Abasi i doubt if any would know the name.

• I think it's really just about the challenge, there's something very satisfying about hitting a target and indeed having a palpable target to hit. It's also a great way to learn, both in therms of playing technique and the technology that you're using, in this case the Kemper.

Having said all of this I personally don't spend any time trying to nail other people's tone, style or tunes, but really I should if I wanted to up my game.