Posts by waitofaiorur

By "somewhere between" i didn't mean literally USB connection, but rather I was referring to interplay between RM and hardware - something CarloLf better described as state management (which I have no idea where it is implemented). In the past there was only one source or changes - the Profiler itself. Now we have two sources of changes: RM and Profiler. Things can only be kept in sync if both sides observe same events in the same order. This is clearly not happening, RM and profiler are losing sync - and neither is detecting that the synchronization was lost (this is probably the first thing that should be addressed).

Now this makes total sense. Exactly what I was imagining. The hell on earth that is keeping two sources of truth in perfect sync.

I must admit I would've been a lot more understanding had the performance-management been marked as beta-software.

You really think this is a communication issue? My first instinct is that usb-communication is a solved problem. Perhaps not for the Kemper since it was added later, but the gig-part is working fine, so they definitely have the basics down.

Do you remember when the performance-management was added? It being sort of new actually makes me a little hopeful :)

Being a dev myself I can say for sure that it's never the devs fault :P

I also forwarded this request to support.

Their response is attached.

I then asked why. Currently waiting for their reply.

Check if the Kemper have the same sample rate of your eleven Rack and the cubase

The Kemper is master and the sample-rates are identical. Also the clipping went away when I adjusted the volume. Thanks for your answer, but I doubt this is a digital issue. Which just made me realize the name of the topic is really badly worded. Sorry about that :-/ I'll fix it.

Hi!

My setup is as follows: [kemper] <= spdif => [Eleven Rack] <= usb => [Cubase]. The monitors are then connected to the main-outs of the Eleven-rack.

I recently tried a nice Mesa-boogie clean-profile. The volume was much lower than all the other rigs, so I cranked it up. I then noticed some digital-clipping going on if I struck the strings with more than a little enthusiasm. I crawled the forums and read about input-output settings and what the lights beside them indicates. And wouldn't you know it, the output briefly flashed yellow from time to time. I then adjusted input-sensitivity and cranked the rig down. Problem solved... sort of...

Now from my point of view... digital clipping is not the new fuzz... I don't want it... ever... anywhere... in any form... at any time... in any recording... Hearing recordings where compression has caused destructive digital clipping makes my soul rot. While others might not feels this strongly about it, I doubt I'm the only one.

In Cubase this is easy. Huge red bar... Basically a little red flag flown sideways. On the Kemper it is a light which may or may not briefly indicate clipped input/output for a very short amount of time. The thought of there being clipping somewhere without me knowing, makes me reluctant to record anything. I also don't want to manually quality-assure every goddamn profile I every try by hand.

Is there a better way?

Hi!

I've been attempting to set up a performance over the last few hours and the experience has left me more than a little frustrated. Changes I make keep getting lost, the Rig Manager crashed a few times. The Kemper itself even HW-crashed once.

After viewing the tutorial on YouTube my workflow is as follows:

1. Make sure the Kemper is in "perform" mode or the "save performance" button won't show up.

2. Use the GUI to find the rig I want.

3. Edit -> Copy

4. Select the performance slot.

5. Edit -> Paste.

5. Save performance in #8.

6. Make adjustments to the newly added rig until I'm happy.

7. Save performance in #8.

My thoughts along the way goes something like this:

1. Why is this even a thing? Why does the mode of the Kemper affect how the Rig Manager acts?

2. Browsing works for the most time, but I am slightly worried what will happen to my last performance-slot. Does previewing a new one replace it?

3. This is known to me. Familiar ground.

4. Works as expected.

5. What happens if the rig isn't already stored in the Kemper, but in the local library instead?

6. Where exactly is my adjustments stored? Is it in the rig itself, or can I have multiple performance-settings per rig? Do I need to have multiple copies of a rig if I want to use it for multiple performances? Will me screwing up the settings also ruin the rig? Really wish the GUI would give me some pointers here.

7. After saving I usually select the previous performance slot and navigate back to see that my changes were actually saved. More often than not, they aren't. It's even worse if I use the midi-controller to switch between slots. Using the midi-controller to move to a previous slot and back again often seems to "time travel" a few steps back and multiple adjustments are lost. Sometimes using the Kemper directly to navigate back and forth will fix the issue, sometimes not.

The whole experience has caused the Rig Manager to lose my trust, and there is nothing more frustrating working with software you can't trust.

Now I expect a lot you will say: well... bring that screen-recorder, report them issues and live happily ever after. Well I would, except that this software has been out at almost seven years now. Stability issues this serious really shouldn't be a thing at this point. I also suspect that a lot of the problems stems from timing issues and keeping state between two devices in sync. A difficult task at the best of times.

I don't want to spend hours upon hours going back and forth with support.

That does mean however that I'm not ready to make an effort.

I want this software to be open-source!

Give the community an opportunity to give back.